Stepper power supply inside PC cabinet?

  • mac_marty_15221
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2008
      Hello, All. Marty the Sherline noob here. So new, in fact, that I'm
      still in the planning & specification stage. The research lab where I
      work wants to bring some of the machining work in-house, and they are
      funding a Sherline mill with CNC. (Yay! Other People's Money!)

      So here's my first question. From browsing the archives a bit, it
      seems that more that one person has opted for using non-sherline
      higher-voltage steppers, and their controller of choice. (I'm leaning
      toward higher voltage, stronger motors, Gecko controllers, and
      breakout board TBD.)

      My actual question is about the "standard" Sherline PC with built-in
      stepper power supply. Did they just pack a 24v switching power supply
      in there along with the PC motherboard and everything else? Might this
      not cause electrical noise or other problems? (Can anybody provide a
      photo of the inside of that Sherline PC?)

      Thanks in advance.
      - Marty
    • Vince
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 20, 2008
        The Sherline driver when built into the PC cabinet does seem to have
        heat issues. The previous owner of my system (after burning up a
        power supply) took the Sherline driver out of the PC case and put it
        in a separate case with its own power supply.

        I guess the Sherline driver works OK but I would shop other brands.
        They are about 1/2 the price and they work fine. We use Xylotex
        drivers here at work and they've done pretty well. They are a
        different pinout (the direction and step pins are swapped). There is
        a Xylotex pinout file in EMC2 so no problem.

        The Sherline motors seem to have adequate torque. If you get stronger
        steppers they will use more power and they are harder to turn manually
        if you care about that.

        VK

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "mac_marty_15221"