A2Z CNC Z column complete

  • timgoldstein
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2008
      We have finished the first batch of Z columns and got the first one
      assembled and test yesterday. Ends up with 16" of Z travel and much
      greater rigidity. With the 4 TPI Kerk precsion leadscrew we use as
      our standard configuration I was running reliably at 90 ipm on the Z
      using an Xylotex controller and Mach2 with a 234 oz/in stepper.

      Based on customer input we added the ability to mount the column on a
      2000 ram without using the 5400 style mounting base. So owners of
      2000 based machines that are running our extended Y base have the
      option of using the column in a 5400 configuration for maximum
      rigidity or removing the mounting base from the Z column and bolting
      it onto their 2000 ram when they need the reach at the sacrifice of
      rigidity.

      Some details on the column.
      It will ship with the saddle and screw already assembled.
      This starts our as 30 lbs of 6061 billet and ends up at just over 19
      lbs when complete.
      Finish is hard anodize and the Z column slide and saddle are Teflon
      impregnated.
      While the 4 TPI Kerk screw is the standard, we offer a 20 TPI or a
      5mm/turn version as a no charge substitution.
      The saddle portion has hole pattern to afix the motor mounting plate
      that has 5 rows of holes. The motor mount plates have 3 rows of
      holes. This means you can move the motor mount plate up or down to
      give more usable range if you need the spindle higher or lower.
      This motor mount arrangement also lets you change the mount plate to
      a Taig version plate and then mount a Taig ER16 or standard spindle.

      I have put some photos on a page at:
      www.a2zcnc.com/a2zcncmonstermill.htm

      Tim
      A2Z Corp
      A2Z CNC division
      1530 W Tufts Ave Unit B
      Englewood CO 80110
      720 833-9300

      www.A2ZCNC.com

      USA made accessories for desktop mills & lathes.
      Specialized tools for the jewelry industry.
    • David Morrow
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2008
        Tim, I was thinking about replacing the ram on what's left of my 2000
        mill with another piece of 3"x3" 8020 extrusion - same as the base. Do
        you think that would be a little stiffer ? I'm not worried about being
        able to adjust the reach.

        http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/sherlinebase/sherlinebase.htm

        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2008
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David Morrow" <morrow2002@...>
          wrote:

          > Tim, I was thinking about replacing the ram on what's left of my
          2000
          > mill with another piece of 3"x3" 8020 extrusion - same as the base.
          Do
          > you think that would be a little stiffer ? I'm not worried about
          being
          > able to adjust the reach.
          >
          > http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/sherlinebase/sherlinebase.htm

          Way cool setup you have. My guess is that the 3x3 8020 would be
          stiffer.