UPS - A Good Idea

  • a3sigma
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hello Group,

      Last week, a momentary power hiccup occurred during a CNC machining
      operation, shutting down the computer and forcing a check on restart.
      Deciding this was not going to happen again, I bought an
      Uninterruptible Power Supply: APC brand, 1300VA, 780 Watts.

      Proved to be highly satisfactory, and more than adequate capacity.
      I've got computer, monitor, and both lathe and mill spindle motors
      plugged into it. Running a multi-axis CNC job on the mill, while
      simultaneously doing a manual turning job on the lathe, the UPS still
      shows > 20 minutes endurance. Enough time to complete almost any job
      I'll be doing, even in the event of a complete blackout. Not to
      mention the protection afforded to the equipment.

      Highly recommended.

      DC
    • Rich Dean
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
        DC,
        I use one as well. We don't often have power problems, but after a chance
        meeting with the district power Co. engineer telling me we were on the very
        end of the local feed system, I really felt the need for a backup system.
        Any hiccups along the line and we get cut off.
        Mine is 500W. Should do until I get to a good stopping place.
        RichD

        a3sigma wrote:
        > Hello Group,
        >
        > Last week, a momentary power hiccup occurred during a CNC machining
        > operation, shutting down the computer and forcing a check on restart.
        > Deciding this was not going to happen again, I bought an
        > Uninterruptible Power Supply: APC brand, 1300VA, 780 Watts.
        >
        > Proved to be highly satisfactory, and more than adequate capacity.
        > I've got computer, monitor, and both lathe and mill spindle motors
        > plugged into it. Running a multi-axis CNC job on the mill, while
        > simultaneously doing a manual turning job on the lathe, the UPS still
        > shows > 20 minutes endurance. Enough time to complete almost any job
        > I'll be doing, even in the event of a complete blackout. Not to
        > mention the protection afforded to the equipment.
        >
        > Highly recommended.
        >
        > DC
      • Martin Dobbins

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Martin Dobbins <trainnutz@...> wrote:

            > That sounds like a great idea. It's not clear if you have the
            transformer for the stepper driver board plugged into the same UPS,
            but I assume you have.

            Yep. Mine's a turnkey Sherline system with the drivers inside the
            console.