EMC2 - What's the Story?

  • peppermark1
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2008
      Have been in the process of setting up PC for CNC Sherline Mill. -
      Sherline came with the latest BDI 4.51 EMC2 DVD. Dapper Dan Ubuntu
      6.06 is also available with EMC2 DVD.

      This is my first attempt & setup using EMC2. Its a bit fuzzy, but what
      I'd like to know if the BDI 4.51 EMC2 & Ubuntu EMC2 the same EMC2 just
      a different distro/os?

      If I understand correctly the BDI 4.51 EMC2 is in the final stages of
      development and may soon be dropped? Have some concerns because of
      this.

      Would like to hear from other Sherline EMC2 users and get your
      opinions on this. Your input would be appreciated. Thank you for
      taking the time to post.

      Kindest regards,
      Peppermark
    • Vince
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
        I've been using EMC2 Ubuntu from the EMC website on a couple of
        Sherlines here at work for some time now. My home Sherline is still
        on old EMC1 but I plan to switch over to EMC2 because it is much nicer.

        I am using a xylotex driver here at work so I had to get the other
        pinout file etc. I had no problems getting all this to work. The
        setup is not difficult but EMC2 does not have a built in setup file
        customized for Sherline. I think Sherline uses 16,000 steps per inch
        and Y and Z are negative. (Here at work I do not use the
        micro-stepping because we prefer speed over resolution.)

        The only settings that a bit mysterious is some of the dynamics stuff.
        There are instructions but it's a little fuzzy.

        The setup files are easy to find and on first start up the SW will
        automatically make a working copy the selected hal & ini files. So I
        think this part is pretty easy.

        Bottom line: I recommend EMC2. It's much nicer to use and it wasn't
        that hard to get working.

        Vince

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "peppermark1" <pmark1@...> wrote:

        > Have been in the process of setting up PC for CNC Sherline Mill. -
        > Sherline came with the latest BDI 4.51 EMC2 DVD. Dapper Dan Ubuntu
        > 6.06 is also available with EMC2 DVD.
        >
        > This is my first attempt & setup using EMC2. Its a bit fuzzy, but what
        > I'd like to know if the BDI 4.51 EMC2 & Ubuntu EMC2 the same EMC2 just
        > a different distro/os?
        >
        > If I understand correctly the BDI 4.51 EMC2 is in the final stages of
        > development and may soon be dropped? Have some concerns because of
        > this.
        >
        > Would like to hear from other Sherline EMC2 users and get your
        > opinions on this. Your input would be appreciated. Thank you for
        > taking the time to post.
        >
        > Kindest regards,
        > Peppermark

      • Vince
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
          I think the number may be 32,000 instead of 16,000...I think there are
          8 micro-steps per step rather than 4 as I was initially thinking.
          Here is how to calculate..

          360 divided by 1.8 (degrees per step) times 8? (micro-steps per
          step)times 20tpi (lead screw pitch). So, with 8 micro-steps you get
          32,000 steps per inch. Very easy to test when you are off by a factor
          of 2.

          Vince
        • peppermark1
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2008
            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Vince" <kurpan@...> wrote:

            > I've been using EMC2 Ubuntu from the EMC website on a couple of
            > Sherlines here at work for some time now. My home Sherline is still
            > on old EMC1 but I plan to switch over to EMC2 because it is much nicer.

            Thanks for clearing this up for me. I was mistaken into thinking the
            BDI 4.51 was also EMC2. I have both the BDI 4.51 EMC1 CD that installs
            nicely. Also the Ubuntu EMC2 CD which installs without a problem. Was
            a bit concerned that the BDI 4.51 may be at the end of development??

            > I am using a xylotex driver here at work so I had to get the other
            > pinout file etc. I had no problems getting all this to work. The
            > setup is not difficult but EMC2 does not have a built in setup file
            > customized for Sherline. I think Sherline uses 16,000 steps per inch

            Have the 8760 driver box I believe that came with the System. All I
            need to do is to install & setup the system. Then work on getting the
            CAD software that will run EMC &/or EMC2. Something like that? I have
            a ways to go yet.

            I may be mistaken here also but I believe that the BDI & EMC2 will
            call them are complete OS distros capable of setting up and running
            your PC hardware & peripherals??

            > and Y and Z are negative. (Here at work I do not use the
            > micro-stepping because we prefer speed over resolution.) The only
            settings that a bit mysterious is some of the dynamics stuff. There
            are instructions but it's a little fuzzy. The setup files are easy to
            find and on first start up the SW will automatically make a working
            copy the selected hal & ini files. So I think this part is pretty
            easy.Bottom line: I recommend EMC2. It's much nicer to use and it
            wasn't that hard to get working.

            Thanks again for sharing your experience & suggestions. Interesting.
            Nice to hear from you.

            Kindest Regards,
            peppermark

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
              > (Here at work I do not use the
              > micro-stepping because we prefer speed over resolution.)

              You do not understand microstepping. It is not done to improve
              resolution, rather to improve speed and reduce resonance problems. No
              one should expect microsteps to be actual, physical positions that
              improve resolution, but they make a big difference in the smoothness and
              high end performance of the motors.

              Unless, of course, the performance of your step generating software
              limits you from the higher speed.

              ron ginger
            • Vince
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
                Well, with micro-stepping the motors used to get very warm.... almost
                too hot to touch. After switching to half stepping the motors are now
                ice cold all day long.

                VK