Re: Rotary Engraving Problem

  • alenz2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
      John, what did you use to convert the file from X-Y to X-A? It's
      usually more involved than just changing Y's to A's. Did you also
      recalculate a new federate for each move?

      I am not familiar with either Flashcut or BobCad, but nearly all
      systems have problems with federate when mixing rotary and linear
      moves.

      Contact me offline and I will send you a conversion program that will
      probably do what you want.

      Al Lenz

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "minitool41" <minitool41@...>
      wrote:

      > Objective: I am trying to engrave the outer surface of a 4 inch
      long
      > brass rod that is 0.25" in diameter.
      >
      > Setup: I have a Sherline mill with 4-axis stepper control, driven
      by a
      > Flashcut Version 1 system. I have created an engraving file in
      BobCad
      > and done a file conversion to replace the Y-axis variable with the
      > A-axis. The file runs on the Flashcut in the simulate mode without
      > visible problem.
      >
      > Complication: Although I have had the 4-axis system for several
      years,
      > this is the first time I've tried to use the A-axis. The system has
      > worked fine in the 3-axis mode since I installed it years ago. The
      > A-axis controls seem to work…I can run the A-axis stepper from the
      > Flashcut software in high/medium/low and single-step mode, forward
      and
      > backward. (High speed is 1440 degrees/min, Medium is 720
      degrees/min
      > and Low is 360 degrees/min)
      >
      > The Problem: When I run the program on the mill, the X /Z /A
      steppers
      > seem to run normally as the part comes into position. The Z stepper
      > positions the cutter to the part, but at that point the A-stepper
      speed
      > drops to a very low speed (my guess is that it is running about 25
      > degree/minute). The speed is not being slowed by the drag on the
      > cutter, as I have tried to run through the program without any
      cutter
      > and still find the slow speed!
      >
      > Any Suggestions???
      >
      > Wild Observation: I notice that the running speed of the Y-axis is
      set
      > within the Flashcut program at "25 inches/minute). Is it possible
      > that this number is being directed to the A-axis driver as a result
      of
      > the conversion???
      >
      > I will appreciate and ideas! Thanks,
      >
      > John Maki
      >
      > minitool41

    • Doug Rundell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
        I had luck engraving on a cylinder by just plugging the A axis motor (rotary table on my mill) into the Y axis connector. No other changes.

        Doug Rundell
        Billy Bob's Beer, Bait & Tackle

        drundell1@...<mailto:drundell1@...>

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com>, "minitool41" <minitool41@...>
        wrote:

        > Objective: I am trying to engrave the outer surface of a 4 inch
        long
        > brass rod that is 0.25" in diameter.
        >
        > Setup: I have a Sherline mill with 4-axis stepper control, driven
        by a
        > Flashcut Version 1 system. I have created an engraving file in
        BobCad
        > and done a file conversion to replace the Y-axis variable with the
        > A-axis. The file runs on the Flashcut in the simulate mode without
        > visible problem.
        >
        > Complication: Although I have had the 4-axis system for several
        years,
        > this is the first time I've tried to use the A-axis. The system has
        > worked fine in the 3-axis mode since I installed it years ago. The
        > A-axis controls seem to work.I can run the A-axis stepper from the
        > Flashcut software in high/medium/low and single-step mode, forward
        and
        > backward. (High speed is 1440 degrees/min, Medium is 720
        degrees/min
        > and Low is 360 degrees/min)
        >
        > The Problem: When I run the program on the mill, the X /Z /A
        steppers
        > seem to run normally as the part comes into position. The Z stepper
        > positions the cutter to the part, but at that point the A-stepper
        speed
        > drops to a very low speed (my guess is that it is running about 25
        > degree/minute). The speed is not being slowed by the drag on the
        > cutter, as I have tried to run through the program without any
        cutter
        > and still find the slow speed!
        >
        > Any Suggestions???
        >
        > Wild Observation: I notice that the running speed of the Y-axis is
        set
        > within the Flashcut program at "25 inches/minute). Is it possible
        > that this number is being directed to the A-axis driver as a result
        of
        > the conversion???
        >
        > I will appreciate and ideas! Thanks,
        >
        > John Maki
        >
        > minitool41

      • Russ Waters
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
          Hi ... I have simular arrangement with a lathe...... with a stepper attached to the spindle for the rotary axis and trying to understand programming it using Bobcad 18 cad/cam software which has a rotary axis that you can use to swap axis (X or Y) using some kind of conversion for the circumferance of the round object one wants to machine.... I would also appreciate any help with this.

          Russ

          wrote:

          > Objective: I am trying to engrave the outer surface of a 4 inch
          long
          > brass rod that is 0.25" in diameter.
          >
          > Setup: I have a Sherline mill with 4-axis stepper control, driven
          by a
          > Flashcut Version 1 system. I have created an engraving file in
          BobCad
          > and done a file conversion to replace the Y-axis variable with the
          > A-axis. The file runs on the Flashcut in the simulate mode without
          > visible problem.
          >
          > Complication: Although I have had the 4-axis system for several
          years,
          > this is the first time I've tried to use the A-axis. The system has
          > worked fine in the 3-axis mode since I installed it years ago. The
          > A-axis controls seem to work…I can run the A-axis stepper from the
          > Flashcut software in high/medium/low and single-step mode, forward
          and
          > backward. (High speed is 1440 degrees/min, Medium is 720
          degrees/min
          > and Low is 360 degrees/min)
          >
          > The Problem: When I run the program on the mill, the X /Z /A
          steppers
          > seem to run normally as the part comes into position. The Z stepper
          > positions the cutter to the part, but at that point the A-stepper
          speed
          > drops to a very low speed (my guess is that it is running about 25
          > degree/minute). The speed is not being slowed by the drag on the
          > cutter, as I have tried to run through the program without any
          cutter
          > and still find the slow speed!
          >
          > Any Suggestions???
          >
          > Wild Observation: I notice that the running speed of the Y-axis is
          set
          > within the Flashcut program at "25 inches/minute). Is it possible
          > that this number is being directed to the A-axis driver as a result
          of
          > the conversion???
          >
          > I will appreciate and ideas! Thanks,
          >
          > John Maki
          >
          > minitool41

        • montanaaardvark
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
            Russ,

            Do you mind some questions?

            How do you drive the stepper for your spindle? Do you have a variable
            speed pulse generator and stepper driver? Commercial product?? Do
            you connect directly or via belt drive?

            Thanks,
            Bob