Rotary Engraving Problem

  • minitool41
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2008
      Objective: I am trying to engrave the outer surface of a 4 inch long
      brass rod that is 0.25" in diameter.

      Setup: I have a Sherline mill with 4-axis stepper control, driven by a
      Flashcut Version 1 system. I have created an engraving file in BobCad
      and done a file conversion to replace the Y-axis variable with the
      A-axis. The file runs on the Flashcut in the simulate mode without a
      visible problem.

      Complication: Although I have had the 4-axis system for several years,
      this is the first time I've tried to use the A-axis. The system has
      worked fine in the 3-axis mode since I installed it years ago. The
      A-axis controls seem to work…I can run the A-axis stepper from the
      Flashcut software in high/medium/low and single-step mode, forward and
      backward. (High speed is 1440 degrees/min, Medium is 720 degrees/min
      and Low is 360 degrees/min)

      The Problem: When I run the program on the mill, the X /Z /A steppers
      seem to run normally as the part comes into position. The Z stepper
      positions the cutter to the part, but at that point the A-stepper speed
      drops to a very low speed (my guess is that it is running about 25
      degree/minute). The speed is not being slowed by the drag on the
      cutter, as I have tried to run through the program without any cutter
      and still find the slow speed!

      Any Suggestions???

      Wild Observation: I notice that the running speed of the Y-axis is set
      within the Flashcut program at "25 inches/minute). Is it possible
      that this number is being directed to the A-axis driver as a result of
      the conversion???

      I will appreciate and ideas! Thanks,

      John Maki

      minitool41

    • alenz2002
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
        John, what did you use to convert the file from X-Y to X-A? It's
        usually more involved than just changing Y's to A's. Did you also
        recalculate a new federate for each move?

        I am not familiar with either Flashcut or BobCad, but nearly all
        systems have problems with federate when mixing rotary and linear
        moves.

        Contact me offline and I will send you a conversion program that will
        probably do what you want.

        Al Lenz

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "minitool41" <minitool41@...>
        wrote:

        > Objective: I am trying to engrave the outer surface of a 4 inch
        long
        > brass rod that is 0.25" in diameter.
        >
        > Setup: I have a Sherline mill with 4-axis stepper control, driven
        by a
        > Flashcut Version 1 system. I have created an engraving file in
        BobCad
        > and done a file conversion to replace the Y-axis variable with the
        > A-axis. The file runs on the Flashcut in the simulate mode without
        > visible problem.
        >
        > Complication: Although I have had the 4-axis system for several
        years,
        > this is the first time I've tried to use the A-axis. The system has
        > worked fine in the 3-axis mode since I installed it years ago. The
        > A-axis controls seem to work…I can run the A-axis stepper from the
        > Flashcut software in high/medium/low and single-step mode, forward
        and
        > backward. (High speed is 1440 degrees/min, Medium is 720
        degrees/min
        > and Low is 360 degrees/min)
        >
        > The Problem: When I run the program on the mill, the X /Z /A
        steppers
        > seem to run normally as the part comes into position. The Z stepper
        > positions the cutter to the part, but at that point the A-stepper
        speed
        > drops to a very low speed (my guess is that it is running about 25
        > degree/minute). The speed is not being slowed by the drag on the
        > cutter, as I have tried to run through the program without any
        cutter
        > and still find the slow speed!
        >
        > Any Suggestions???
        >
        > Wild Observation: I notice that the running speed of the Y-axis is
        set
        > within the Flashcut program at "25 inches/minute). Is it possible
        > that this number is being directed to the A-axis driver as a result
        of
        > the conversion???
        >
        > I will appreciate and ideas! Thanks,
        >
        > John Maki
        >
        > minitool41

      • Doug Rundell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
          I had luck engraving on a cylinder by just plugging the A axis motor (rotary table on my mill) into the Y axis connector. No other changes.

          Doug Rundell
          Billy Bob's Beer, Bait & Tackle

          drundell1@...<mailto:drundell1@...>

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com>, "minitool41" <minitool41@...>
          wrote:

          > Objective: I am trying to engrave the outer surface of a 4 inch
          long
          > brass rod that is 0.25" in diameter.
          >
          > Setup: I have a Sherline mill with 4-axis stepper control, driven
          by a
          > Flashcut Version 1 system. I have created an engraving file in
          BobCad
          > and done a file conversion to replace the Y-axis variable with the
          > A-axis. The file runs on the Flashcut in the simulate mode without
          > visible problem.
          >
          > Complication: Although I have had the 4-axis system for several
          years,
          > this is the first time I've tried to use the A-axis. The system has
          > worked fine in the 3-axis mode since I installed it years ago. The
          > A-axis controls seem to work.I can run the A-axis stepper from the
          > Flashcut software in high/medium/low and single-step mode, forward
          and
          > backward. (High speed is 1440 degrees/min, Medium is 720
          degrees/min
          > and Low is 360 degrees/min)
          >
          > The Problem: When I run the program on the mill, the X /Z /A
          steppers
          > seem to run normally as the part comes into position. The Z stepper
          > positions the cutter to the part, but at that point the A-stepper
          speed
          > drops to a very low speed (my guess is that it is running about 25
          > degree/minute). The speed is not being slowed by the drag on the
          > cutter, as I have tried to run through the program without any
          cutter
          > and still find the slow speed!
          >
          > Any Suggestions???
          >
          > Wild Observation: I notice that the running speed of the Y-axis is
          set
          > within the Flashcut program at "25 inches/minute). Is it possible
          > that this number is being directed to the A-axis driver as a result
          of
          > the conversion???
          >
          > I will appreciate and ideas! Thanks,
          >
          > John Maki
          >
          > minitool41

        • Russ Waters
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 8, 2008
            Hi ... I have simular arrangement with a lathe...... with a stepper attached to the spindle for the rotary axis and trying to understand programming it using Bobcad 18 cad/cam software which has a rotary axis that you can use to swap axis (X or Y) using some kind of conversion for the circumferance of the round object one wants to machine.... I would also appreciate any help with this.

            Russ

            wrote:

            > Objective: I am trying to engrave the outer surface of a 4 inch
            long
            > brass rod that is 0.25" in diameter.
            >
            > Setup: I have a Sherline mill with 4-axis stepper control, driven
            by a
            > Flashcut Version 1 system. I have created an engraving file in
            BobCad
            > and done a file conversion to replace the Y-axis variable with the
            > A-axis. The file runs on the Flashcut in the simulate mode without
            > visible problem.
            >
            > Complication: Although I have had the 4-axis system for several
            years,
            > this is the first time I've tried to use the A-axis. The system has
            > worked fine in the 3-axis mode since I installed it years ago. The
            > A-axis controls seem to work…I can run the A-axis stepper from the
            > Flashcut software in high/medium/low and single-step mode, forward
            and
            > backward. (High speed is 1440 degrees/min, Medium is 720
            degrees/min
            > and Low is 360 degrees/min)
            >
            > The Problem: When I run the program on the mill, the X /Z /A
            steppers
            > seem to run normally as the part comes into position. The Z stepper
            > positions the cutter to the part, but at that point the A-stepper
            speed
            > drops to a very low speed (my guess is that it is running about 25
            > degree/minute). The speed is not being slowed by the drag on the
            > cutter, as I have tried to run through the program without any
            cutter
            > and still find the slow speed!
            >
            > Any Suggestions???
            >
            > Wild Observation: I notice that the running speed of the Y-axis is
            set
            > within the Flashcut program at "25 inches/minute). Is it possible
            > that this number is being directed to the A-axis driver as a result
            of
            > the conversion???
            >
            > I will appreciate and ideas! Thanks,
            >
            > John Maki
            >
            > minitool41

          • montanaaardvark
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 9, 2008
              Russ,

              Do you mind some questions?

              How do you drive the stepper for your spindle? Do you have a variable
              speed pulse generator and stepper driver? Commercial product?? Do
              you connect directly or via belt drive?

              Thanks,
              Bob