Re: My new Sherline 2000 Ultra Sub-Base

  • Marv Frankel
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      David,
      I've seen a lot of Sherline mill mods, but none that would
      compare with what you've done. From time to time, I transport my
      Sherline to different events, but if I had your machine, I'd have to
      rent a trailer and an engine hoist. You've done an outstanding job,
      and I think you ought to change the name of your machine,
      from "Sherline" to "Morrow".

      Sincerely,

      Marv Frankel
      Los Angeles

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David Morrow" <morrow2002@...>
      wrote:

      > I've been working on some rather large gears for a clock project. At
      > first, I expected to have to get 3 of the gears cut at the local
      > waterjet shop due to their large diameter. Then I got the A2ZCNC
      > extended X and Y axes and that just about solved the problem. In
      > cutting the final gear, I figured that I'd be just about at the
      limits
      > of the new Y axis. The problem is that the larger the workpiece, the
      > sooner it bumps into the mill column. I didn't really need a longer
      > base, I just needed to move the column and get more use of the
      > potential travel the new Y axis already had.
      >
      > I scored a piece of 1" steel plate about 12"x24" and had the
      waterjet
      > shop cut that for me and made a new sub-base and relocated the mill
      > column back about 3 inches or so. I have a bit of work yet to tidy
      up
      > and build a big coolant/chip tray for it yet. But, here's the result
      > of the effort so far:
      >
      > http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/sherlinebase/sherlinebase.htm

    • Yahoo
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        Pretty slick. I've often been frustrated by the limited work envelope of my
        Sherline 2000. When I bought it I got most of the accessories including
        column extenders etc. (also for the 4400 lathe). But I was working mostly in
        plastic, with some small aluminum and brass jobs. I did make a delrin
        sprocket 10" in diameter using the rotary table. Looks like you're mostly
        working with aluminum and brass. I've been tempted to do something like
        you've done here but was concerned about the potential for flexing when the
        cantilever gets too long. Have you found that to be a problem at all? I'm
        starting to think it might make more sense to just buy a Sieg X3. They're
        under $1K now.

        PS- Thanks for including a link on your Sherline vacuum page to my article
        about forced air coolant on the Sherline, but I've moved that article to my
        personal web site FYI:

        http://tinyurl.com/27up5s

        In fact I've just started another Sherline adptation project for
        semiautomatic PCB drilling:

        http://tinyurl.com/2hg8ac

        I'll post notices from time to time as I make progress.
        --
        Phil Mattison
        http://www.ohmikron.com/

        > I've been working on some rather large gears for a clock project. At
        > first, I expected to have to get 3 of the gears cut at the local
        > waterjet shop due to their large diameter. Then I got the A2ZCNC
        > extended X and Y axes and that just about solved the problem. In
        > cutting the final gear, I figured that I'd be just about at the limits
        > of the new Y axis. The problem is that the larger the workpiece, the
        > sooner it bumps into the mill column. I didn't really need a longer
        > base, I just needed to move the column and get more use of the
        > potential travel the new Y axis already had.
        >
        > I scored a piece of 1" steel plate about 12"x24" and had the waterjet
        > shop cut that for me and made a new sub-base and relocated the mill
        > column back about 3 inches or so. I have a bit of work yet to tidy up
        > and build a big coolant/chip tray for it yet. But, here's the result
        > of the effort so far:
        >
        > http://www.ldrider.ca/cnc/sherlinebase/sherlinebase.htm
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Morrow
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          I was a bit concerned about the potential for flexing too however a
          couple of things give me comfort in that regard;

          1) I'm only using the length of the arm as designed by Sherline and I
          assume they spent some time engineering it properly; besides, those
          two pieces of aluminum are pretty hefty. (I'm actually just short of
          using the full length of the Sherline arm.)
          2) The 80/20 extrusion has a bigger footprint that the Sherline column
          and it too is very sturdy stuff
          3) The round aluminum plate that is mounted on the top of the 80/20 is
          way bigger than the top of the Sherline column.
          4) If need be, I could drill another 3/8" hole in the base, make a new
          top for the column, and run a 2nd through bolt to secure the arm.

          One reason that I've stuck with the Sherline rather than going to a
          Seig or similar ( other than quality ) is that the Chinese mills never
          seemed to have enough Y axis travel for my needs.

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Yahoo" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > Pretty slick. I've often been frustrated by the limited work
          envelope of my
          > Sherline 2000. When I bought it I got most of the accessories including
          > column extenders etc. (also for the 4400 lathe). But I was working
          mostly in
          > plastic, with some small aluminum and brass jobs. I did make a delrin
          > sprocket 10" in diameter using the rotary table. Looks like you're
          mostly
          > working with aluminum and brass. I've been tempted to do something like
          > you've done here but was concerned about the potential for flexing
          when the
          > cantilever gets too long. Have you found that to be a problem at
          all? I'm
          > starting to think it might make more sense to just buy a Sieg X3.
          They're
          > under $1K now.
          >
          > PS- Thanks for including a link on your Sherline vacuum page to my
          article
          > about forced air coolant on the Sherline, but I've moved that
          article to my
          > personal web site FYI:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/27up5s
          >
          > In fact I've just started another Sherline adptation project for
          > semiautomatic PCB drilling:
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/2hg8ac
          >
          > I'll post notices from time to time as I make progress.
          > --
          > Phil Mattison
          > http://www.ohmikron.com/
          > Motors::Drivers::Controllers::Software

        • Yahoo
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            Yes, that has been a source of hesitation for me as well. And it would be
            very difficult to modify one of those to improve the situation. It would be
            nice to have the extra mass and power though. They probably keep the small Y
            travel so as not to compromise rigidity.

            The direction you're going maybe what you will want eventually is a gantry
            router. Then you can have as much space as you want. Sometimes I wish I had
            both, a heavy mill and a big router. But then my garage would be really
            crowded.

            PS- I added a link back to your Sherline Vacuum article in my air coolant
            article in www.philmattison.com
            --
            Phil Mattison
            http://www.ohmikron.com/
            Motors::Drivers::Controllers::Software

            > One reason that I've stuck with the Sherline rather than going to a
            > Seig or similar ( other than quality ) is that the Chinese mills never
            > seemed to have enough Y axis travel for my needs.
            </snip>
          • jehancocy
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              I'vwe been thinking of doing this because when you rotate the head of
              the 2000, you lose so much x travel it is almost unusable. You need
              the horizontal milling base for a 2000 like in the 5400.

              Jerry