Re: help with a litigation situation regarding dogs and sheep

  • Mary Powell
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
      Here in Arizona, the cheapest non registered ewe goes for $250. Double-triple that if they are registered.  If you awknowledge ownership of the dogs, then you are responsible for his losses. Are there vet bills?  Are there pictures? How do you know the other ewe died or was harmed beyond healing? If my sheep flock was attacked, I would have tons of documentation to throw at you. As far as your dogs go, a good trained working dog goes for $1000 and up. A sheep killer is a liability, not an asset. I'm sorry you lost your pets. It is your repsonsibility as a pet owner to have fencing to keep them home. Good luck. $600 sounds like a bargain.
    • Chuck and Deb White
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013

        I agree with Collin they should have been shot on the spot.

        This has happened to us, two dogs attacked and killed two of our first fullblood Dorper lambs born on the farm in 2000.  We had just purchased their Mothers for over $4000.00 each.

        One dog died on the spot and the second escaped and we knew the owner.

        To recoup our damages from the insurance company we had to tell them who the owner was. We didn't want to make enemys, so we couldn't get any insurance.

        Well to make a long story short.  The second dog luckily was not the leader and never returned.  The Owner of the dead dog never knew what happened and we ate our loses.

        A friend of ours had two Doberman chasing his calves.  He shot both of them and then carried the dead dogs up to the owners house and threw them on the porch.

        Our friend went to jail.

        I also agree with Peg, Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up.

        Chuck

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013

          You had no problem paying $900.  My advice is write a check for $600 and get the matter over.  You will probably spend $600 in attorneys fees alone if it goes to court.

          As for returning ripped up checks, don’t worry about it.  If he gives it back all well and good.  Maybe he meant to rip it up and just never got around to it.  Maybe he had second thoughts.

          As to the value of sheep, it depends on a lot of things.  Each state is different as to what damages can be collected.

          As for the dogs, I know in MD, if my dogs attack livestock, animal control will come get them and probably destroy them.  It’s a shame, but accidents happen and we all live with the consequences.

          Charles

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013

            A sad twist to this story. I went to the sheriff's department and viewed the pictures. The sheep were pretty mutilated. There were pictures of the dogs (shot just after the "incident" and the sheep). I was saddened. I looked at the pictures of the dogs, you know, to see if they'd had gunshot wounds that were visible, not really for any particular reason, but for to see if they were put down humanely. It appeared that they were. There was not a lick of blood anywhere on their bodies. I didn't think anything of it. The sheriff was sympathetic, he'd had a beloved dog that he'd had to put down for attacking the neighbor's goats. The dog brought one home. I asked if he was sure the dog hadn't found a dead kid and dragged it home. Oh no, she had blood all over her. Move forward a day. I'm driving. I'm thinking... I often do.. There was absolutely no blood on the dogs. None. None on their legs (white legs) none on their muzzles, shoulders... Anywhere. If they had mutilated these sheep as much as the pictures showed, wouldn't they have some blood spots on them somewhere? Dogs are not neat eaters. Not neat attackers. The neighbor had gone to another neighbor and accused his dogs of attacking his sheep the day before (mine were not even at my property that day, we had them on the ranch). I am curious as to whether the sheep were attacked by something else and my dogs were the accused. They were loose, accidentally, that afternoon, not a normal thing at all for my dogs, but there is no witnesses to place them on his property. Being out of town, I could not verify anything. It just adds another layer to this already complicated situation. The dogs did not have time (from his description of how things happened) to clean themselves up in any way from the time he accused them of attacking and when they were dispatched. I don't think they did it. There is no way to get all of the blood removed from them in the time frame. There would have been some evidence of the attack on their bodies.

            And to answer your questions, I have put a dog down for attacking livestock, one of my own, and the man that I am having this situation with is aware of that. I want the decision to be mine, unless the situation happens as the owner of the livestock catches a dog on his property, in the act, I am sympathetic to having that person do it. This man's sheep were constantly in the road, due to his poor fencing, he did not have quality livestock, he did not participate in a breeding program of any sort. He keeps just a few cull sheep to use as training sheep for the herding dogs he raises.

            Coyotes have been absolutely unbelievable this year, his sheep were kept in an unprotected area at least a half of a mile from any house. He is now keeping them in small pens at his house, if the predator threat was over (my dogs dispatched), he would have them back in that pasture. I think he knows it wasn't my dogs. He shoots any dog around, according to (third person) neighbor rumors. I am aware of a small dog that was dead on my road months before this happened and when I saw him on my road, he told me that he'd shot it, apparently someone had dumped it from town. I don't know the story behind it, but it was a small dog, and now with my new knowledge, illegally shot.

            And no, I'm not against shooting strays, I'm against people dumping animals... I am against people taking other's rights. I would have fixed my fence. He offered another neighbor to put up electric fence using his ag class. I am also against people taking the law into their own hands, and then wanting to be paid for their services. He didn't do me any favors.

          • Petra Krickel
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
              I really feel for you and the lose you suffered in the way it happened.
              I raise both sheep and goats and have dogs. Over the years I have had
              loses from dogs, coyotes and fox. The fox take the lambs off. The
              coyotes if they can not carry of the animal they will basically gut the
              and take the organs that they want. They kill by strangulation and
              normally leave puncher wounds on throat at the base of the jaw. Dogs
              will tear out the throat and will also gut the animal if they have
              killed before other wise they chew on varies areas of their kill that is
              only if they eat the animal. With two dogs one will attack the front and
              the other will attack the rear. It is not a neat kill that the coyote has.
              Were the photo of the dogs taken on your place? By who?
              I think he is using your dogs as a convince. Even his herding dogs will
              kill the stock if not watched. I keep mine in kennels when I am not
              outside to watch them. Their pray instinct is to strong.
              He is also partially responsible for the kills. Most states maintain
              that fence should not only keep stock in but also work to keep
              predictors out. If his sheep are regularly in the road that shows that
              he does not have a proper fence to meet minimum care requirements of his
              stock.
              The last dogs that came on my place and killed one of my goats was two
              dogs owned by to different people. I asked both people not to kill the
              dogs it was not the dogs fault but theirs for letting the dogs roam at
              large. The Rotti was just looking for some human company and heard me
              talking to my goats as I was feeding them in the morning. She came on
              the place right after I left for work thinking that I was still their.
              The other dog with her was a German Shepard. The goat they killed was
              the heard queen who would have fought them to protect the others. It
              could have been really bad. I was not mad at the dogs just the owners. I
              always try to talk to the owners first. I had a couple of times when I
              talked to the owners they said it was not their problem. I shot both
              dogs to stop the killing. One was tearing out the guts but not eating
              any of the goat. The other just enjoyed the killing. Now I just call the
              Sheriffs department and let them talk to the owners that way the problem
              is documented just in case I have to kill the dog. I did not ask for
              compensation from the dogs owners for the kill just ask them to keep the
              dog home and do not put me in the position to have kill the dogs.
              If you can get a copy of the photos of the sheep killed take them to a
              vet and ask him about the amount of blood that would be expected on the
              dogs from the kill.
              As for the value of the sheep I would not give him more then the middle
              of the road action price for the sheep. He does not even deserve that.
              First thing I would do is cancel the check. He would have to take me to
              court and then I would counter sue for damages and push to have charges
              filed. He would also need proof that it was your dogs on his place and
              did the actual killing either as a witness or photos. The worst thing
              against your favor is that he has a check from you for damages that
              probably is not be yours that is way he has not cashed the check. I
              would want his hide and then some.
              Gunshot wounds would not be seen on a dog if a small caliber round was
              used. They could be shot several times and you would not be able to see
              them on a less then absolutely slick coated dog.
              As for the blood on the dogs from the kill, the dogs that attacked my
              goats had blood on them even though the damage was small. They did not
              tear out the arteries on the throat so small amount of blood lose, most
              of the blood was from the back legs were they tore the back side of the
              leg open.The dogs where still in the goat pasture when I came home from
              work. The stallion was really agitated and I know something was wrong.
              He wanted something on the other side of his fence. When I went up there
              the dogs laying against the fence to the goat barn. The barn has it own
              corral so that I can lock the goats up when needed. The rest of the
              goats were in the barn looking at the dogs and the one they killed was
              laying dead close to the gate. The other goats did not have a mark on
              them. It could have been really bad.
              Petra

            • millstone.farm
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                Does your neighbor have ANY witnesses to the attack on his sheep?

                The pictures taken could be very incriminating for him. At this point, depending on how you feel and what you wish to do, you may want to seek an attorney. And if the neighbors are right, you may never be able to keep a dog. As you have pointed out, you were not home, the dogs 'got out', and the neighbors have hinted this person wishes to kill dogs. HE should have consulted his local police department and Agriculture department when the culprits had left his premises. As it sounds, he really has little to no defense in killing your dogs. And the pics taken will show that!

                susan
                millstone farm

                --- In Shedders_Sheep_Group@yahoogroups.com, Brooke B wrote:

> [...]
                > at his house, if the predator threat was over (my dogs dispatched), he would
                > have them back in that pasture. I think he knows it wasn't my dogs. He shoots
                > any dog around, according to (third person) neighbor rumors. I am aware of a
                > small dog that was dead on my road months before this happened and when I saw
                > him on my road, he told me that he'd shot it, apparently someone had dumped it
                > from town. I don't know the story behind it, but it was a small dog, and now
                > with my new knowledge, illegally shot.
                >

                > And no, I'm not against
                > shooting strays, I'm against people dumping animals... I am against people
                > taking other's rights. I would have fixed my fence. He offered another neighbor
                > to put up electric fence using his ag class. I am also against people taking
                > the law into their own hands, and then wanting to be paid for their services.

              • tazbrooke
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 9, 2013
                  It's a "good ole boy" place, there are witnesses available for whatever you want. Back home we call them beer buddies.

                  The sheriff's department is who took the pictures. I can see them, but can't have a copy of them. I am going to ask for a copy to take to a vet to have a vet make a distinction if the amount of blood (none) on them is sufficient to call them guilty.

                  I do plan on repairing my fence, I think that the gate was just not securely latched. The husky had never been out of the yard but for when he and I went walking, he was a city dog (my son had to move and couldn't keep him) and the country still frightened him. When we walked, everything scared him.
                • Jen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013
                    Tough situation...hard to know the real issue or problem in this mess!

                    In our world(east central Oklahoma) we have a lot of "city-ots" who move from the city to the country life and bring along their city mentality on dogs!
                    Often we have dogs show up on our property because their owners believe it's ok to let them roam free........after all it's the COUNTRY!

                    Our policy is that a dog on our farm chasing our livestock is a dead dog! THAT includes our own! Bad behavior is not tolerated!

                    The three "S" policy.......shoot, shovel and shut up!

                    We would never follow a dog to their home to kill them! IF the dog had done damage to livestock and I couldn't kill them here at the farm, then a call to the owner would happen with the option for the owner to pay for the damage done!

                    So the dog killer was out of line in leaving their property to kill a dog at it's home!

                    If the dog had truly done the kill, there would most likely be a lot of blood and it would be obvious that they were the culprits!

                    NO BLOOD on their coats, face, chest, legs etc. leads me to believe that the dogs killed were not the sheep killers.....

                    However, that does not mean that the dogs were not involved! They may have been part of a group of dogs that helped to kill and maim the sheep!

                    We have Anatolian Shepherds and they are dogs that REQUIRE guidance to learn what is appropriate behavior in regard to farm livestock!

                    If your Anatolian had never had training, she was most likely also involved!

                    A HUSKY is a breed of dog that due to their inherent nature cannot ever be allowed to run loose!!!
                    They are a single minded, very focused breed of dog which is why the breed is so valuable as sled dogs!

                    Give a city Husky some friends/buddies to show him how to chase sheep, he would be 100% focused on the fun at hand!

                    Together something that started as play became a killing spree!

                    The cheapest thing to do is pay the sheep owner the $600 he asked for and go on!
                    The dogs are dead and cannot be replaced....The sheep are dead and the owner has a monetary loss which he can prove!
                    He could have cashed the check for $900 that you gave him but he didn't......

                    A bad situation on both fronts......
                    It will be considerably cheaper to pay the $600 than to take this to court.....

                    My humble opinion as a sheep owner who has killed and buried 20+ dogs on our farm in the wilderness of Oklahoma!

                    Jen Massey
                    www.okdorper.com
                  • Petra Krickel
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 10, 2013
                      We have that "good ole boy" network here too.
                      The pictures of the dog where taken on your place?
                      Who called them to take the pictures?
                      The only reason they would not give you a copy of the pictures is they
                      are using them a case, but your lawyer can get a copy if that is the reason.
                      If the photos where taken of the dogs on your place were they was shot
                      why where charges of criminal trespassing not file on him. Going on your
                      place to kill your dogs is trespassing with intent to distroy property
                      which is a felony.
                      I use to have a husky, wonderful dogs very protective of their owners.
                      He loved to run and chase anything that would run from him or with him.
                      He loved to chase the neighbors mule and the mule would turn and chase
                      him. They got to be buddies the mule did not have another company and
                      was young and still liked to play. I know what you mean about a city dog
                      coming to the country. It is a pretty good learning curve to adjust too.
                      Have you talked with a lawyer yet?
                      Petra