Whatever Happened to the Golden Arrow? -part one [of two]

  • BLACKWOLF <blackwolf247@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2003
      1966- Denver Colorado

      Stephen Coltraine studied the information he had gathered so far-
      he really wanted to make this a good book and not just another
      quickie look at a hero from the 40's, to many of them existed already
      and besides The Golden Arrow was a western based hero, even appeared
      here in Denver a few times,but one thing really bothered him, few
      pictures actual photos of the hero existed, and many of them that did
      showed him dressed in a more or less standard looking costume, yet
      earlier and rarer photos showed him dressed in an american indian
      type outfit.
      So Coltraine wondered why did G..A. change his costume and even were
      both G.A.'s one and the same or two different men?

      Somehow maybe he would find out.
      As synchronicity would have it his phone rang then, Coltraine
      answered it hoping it was his agent, it wasn't but it was nearly as
      good, it was his best friend Dave Jimmison.

      "ey Steve still working on that book about the Green Arrow?"
      Coltraine sighed heavily Golden Arrow Dave the Green Arrow was just a
      comicbook character."
      "Right well how soon can you get to Tucker's Town?"
      "Thats about a half hour why whats there?"
      "I found someone knew your Golden Arches guy. Knew him well in fact,
      he saved her life a time or two."
      "Okay I am practically out the door, where abouts in TT?"
      "Old diner called THE DO DROP INN bring lunch money I'm getting
      hungry."

      Coltraine hung up grabbed his ciggerettes,cameras,tape recorders and
      notebooks. This could be good.
      He also hoped his buddy was on the right track, not like the time
      someone claimed to have seen a man with wings and a hawk mask flying
      around.That guy musta been into the whacky tabakky or something.

      Twentyfive minutes later in a almost dead roadtown Coltraine pulled
      into the old rundown diner's parking lot. Since the end of the war in
      46 a lot of towns like this were dying out., Maybe his next book
      would be about these towns. Beats tracking down semimythical
      characters from his parents time.

      Dave was talking to a woman who looked like someone who had spent
      her whole life out here on the edge of nowhere, grey hair,weary
      looking but still handsome face, dry skin, a chain smoker rasp to her
      voice.

      After introductions she asked one thing- no photos. Coltraine
      agreed.

      "It was December 7th 1941 you remember what happened that day?"
      "Yes." Said Coltraine "Japenese bombed Pearl Harbor,and America
      joined the war against the Axis."
      "Was about time to, but anyways there was this kid use to come in
      here a lot, rodeo cowboy he was, good looking, blond named Gary.
      Probably about 18,19 young, heck we all were once. I was 25 and
      married but could still enjoy looking at him. He comes in right after
      we heard the morning news and found out what happened, then hewalked
      in thats when it happened.

      to be continued.
    • starsky_hutch76
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2003
        heh heh. I like the references to heroes like Green Arrow and Hawkman.
      • BLACKWOLF
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2003
          Thanks, I hope you like whats coming up and where its
          all leading.[and it doesn't involve parallel worlds
          either!]
          --- starsky_hutch76 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          > heh heh. I like the references to heroes like Green
          > Arrow and Hawkman.

          =====
          ^ ^
          * *