Tales of Fawcett City: It's a Date Part 3

  • Arcademan
    Message 1 of 48 , Jun 15, 2013
      As the week progressed, Flora was stepping outside of her apartment on a fine Wednesday morning when she spotted some familiar faces heading here way. It was Billy Batson and his twin sister Mary. She waved at the two as they stopped to greet their mutual friend.

      "Greetings, Billy and Mary. How are you both doing this fine day?" Florence's very voice was like the warm kiss of spring on a chilly day.

      "Morning, Florence!" Both the Batsons said in unison. Billy spoke next. "We're just picking up some bundled newspapers for recycling but otherwise we're both doing quite well, thank you." Billy thought to himself that as long as she knew Flo, he had never known her to have a bad day nor have never seen her sad or upset...always smiling and seemingly seeing everyone and everything in a positive manner.

      It was Mary's turn to speak. "Florence, I'm glad you adjusted to Fawcett City in just the short time you've been here. Everyone seems to like you and enjoy your presence and me, Billy and our friend Freddy Freeman would like to show our appreciation by inviting you out on a night on the town." Billy chimed in. "Of course it's all in good fun, there won't be any problems, I'll make sure of it."

      Mary thought "There's Billy and his mother hen personality!" and smiled a bit at her thought.

      Florence shook her head. "I'd be honored by that. Name the night and I'll be more than happy to partake in it." Of course Flo knew that the Batsons, along with Freddy were the mortal identities of the World's Mightiest Family: Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Junior since she secretly saved Billy along with Willie B. from an attack by the son of the Black Magician when she was communicating with the long sinced moved Caitlin O'Malley.

      "We can do it any night but this Saturday since I will be going out on a date with Willie that night!" Flo's exclamation put a stunned look on both Billy and Mary as they tried to find the words to answer back.

      "Why...er...a...that's great...I guess." Mary's voice trailed off toward the end. Billy fortunately was a little more direct.

      "Florence, why don't we have a seat on the bench here and tell us again...that you're going out with Willie? Are we talking about the same guy?" The trio sat down as it was now Flo with the stunned look.

      "You both look like there's a problem? What is it?" quizzed Flo.

      A few beads of sweat came down Billy's forehead. "Well, Florence, you see...we know Willie B. very well and consider him a good friend and trust him but there's something you need to know about him. He's kind of has a reputation of sorts and you being new may not know that much about his past."

      "It's nothing bad, I hope!" answered back Flo. "Every time I've seen him, he's been a perfect gentleman."

      "That's just it!" Billy answered back. 'He's sort of...gee, how should I put it..."

      Mary blurted out "A ladies' man!" Her face turned beet red from saying that as Billy sighed. "Real smooth, sis!" Flo still had a puzzled look on her face.

      "In other words, he's gone out with other girls. That's good then for he should know how to conduct himself when we go out."

      "Holy Moley!" exclaimed Billy. "Are you sure you know what exacly a date is?"

      "Now that you mention it, from where I came from, there wasn't much of what you'd call dating though as a close community, we did many things together and accepted it as being aomething we did naturally." Florence chose her words carefully as though she knew of their identities as the Marvel Family, no one save Willie B. or Caitlin knew of her being a pixie from Fairyland.

      Mary put her hand over Billy's mouth before he could speak again. "Florence, we think it's wonderful that you're going out with Willie and I'm sure you know what you're doing. Far be it for us to judge your actions but you know you'll have to tell us everything that goes on." Mary smiled and that brought out the bright smile from Flo as the two hugged.

      "Ah...we better go, Mary. Nice talking to you Florence and we'll make plans for our little get together." Billy waved and walked away at a larching pace, dragging Mary as he waved as well. Florence went to the side of the building to tend to her flowers, not thinking much about the converation that took place.

      Down on the other side of the apartment complex, Mary broke free of Billy's grip. "Get a hold of yourself, brother dear!" I'm sure everything will be fine with Flo and Willie. It's not like we're approving parents to them and should judge."

      Billy sighed. "Yeah, I know, Mary. If it was somebody else beside Willie, I'd feel better but then he has shown better judgment since becoming a Marvel. Maybe he'll be a good influence on Flo." Still, the image of Willie strutting along with severl different girls filled Billy's head as he and Mary continued on their way.

      Virtually at the same time Freddy Freeman was entering Blazin B's as his typical daily routine after finishing up at his newspaper stand to get himself a bottle of their world famous homeade root beer when Willie B. came up to the counter to greet his friend.

      "Wassup, my man Fred!" Willie greeted Freddy with a firm handshake and a cold bottle of root beer. As Freddy went to get the change from his pocket, Willie waved his hand.

      "Uh uh! Not today. It's on da house, my lightning brother!" He said with a big smile on his face. Willie like to use colorful adjectives around his friends and people as he popped the cap from the bottle.

      Freddy took a gulp and then wiped his lips. "Great stuff as always. So what's the occasion and why the big chesire smile, Willie?"

      "I got me a big date this Saturday night and I'll be giving this fine lass the biggest thrill of her lifetime!" bragged the highly confident youth.

      Freddy smiled. "Boy, I wish I had luck with the ladies like you do, Mary notwithstanding. So, is it anyone I know or is it someone new who doesn't know about your rep?"

      "A little of everything, Freddy my boy. That chick Florence Fine, you know...the one that moved in after the witch bolted town a few months back...we are hitting the Fawcett nightlife. Score!" as Willie grabbed a bottle of root beer for himself, popped the top and clanged it with Freddy's as a toast.

      "Score!" yelled Freddy back as the two drank in unison. Freddy didn't know Flo remotely as well as the Batsons so he had no idea of her naiveness. "You're going to tell me everything that you do, won't you?"

      Willie gulped the last of the root beer down. "Maybe I will and maybe I won't. Wish me luck, my brother of the thunder!" Freddy laughed as he finshed his bottle. "I've seen Florence and she's the one that'll need the luck more than you. Gotta run for now but stay cool, Willie!"

      As Freddy left the establishment, Willie threw the empty bottles into the trash and walked toward the back of the restaurant, pausing to look in a hallway mirror.

      "Man, you looking find, my cool friend!" He said to himself. "Now I can't wait until Saturday night!"
    • Frank Murdock
      Message 48 of 48 , Sep 13, 2013
        Kali definitely was not powered by Shazam;
        /FM: Yes. I am aware of this.
        she was powered by Blaze and Satanus. I am pretty sure she has lost her powers.
        /FM: The way the story ends it is open to interpretation. I was left
        with a different turnout.
        Although she is now hanging out at Grimoire Academy, and Blaze and
        Satanus invaded Grimoire Academy not too long after she reached the
        Academy. Maybe they were after more than just rescuing the Space
        Ghoul?
        Maybe. Wouldn't be that hard to start adding up those mosters of Society.
        Dan
        /FM