Re: [Shazam Earth S Lives on] Fawcett City's New Hero Part Three: Aftermath

  • dave barnowski
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 5, 2012
      I am looking formward to more

      From: Arcademan <arcademanu2@...>
      To: ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:07 PM
      Subject: [Shazam Earth S Lives on] Fawcett City's New Hero Part Three: Aftermath

      Caught almost off-guard at the question asked by Willie, Florence instantly composed herself. "Whatever do you mean? I've been here all evening. As a matter of fact, I heard about it on the television just before you came over. Why do you ask?"

      After allowing Willie inside her apartment and a seat on the couch, the young man gave a response. "I was there earlier and apparently a would-be robber took the store manager hostage. The police apprehended the crook and the young lady is safe but something odd happened during the situation. Someone else was inside the store and even made a phone call to distract the crook. According to Chief Barr, the voice sounded like like yours when he played it back to me. The phone was disconnected from the outside so the call had to come from the inside of the store." There were some non-truths in Willie B's questions but Flo was not aware of those outstanding circumstances.

      After a moment of silence, Florence stood up and gave out a heavy sigh. "Well...if my secret is finally out, at least it was you that discovered it." With that, she began to glow and in a flash of light, the girl known as Florence Fair had changed into Flora. Her clothes replaced with a costume made of leaves, she then instantly shrank down to five inches in height as wings sprouted from her back. She flew up to the face of a seemingly astounished Willie Batson.

      "You are only the second person who has discovered my secret. I am an elemental plant pixie from Fairyland. Of course the person who knew of my existance before this was the departed Caitlin O'Malley. I know you can keep my identity secret since I also know of your other identity as...Cool Marvel."

      That did elicite a stuttering response from the stunned youth. "M-M-me...Cool Marvel? That's a joke. I may be cool myself but I have nothing on that cat!" Beads of sweat began to form on Wille's forehead as Flora grew back to normal human side in front of him once again.

      "Don't worry, Willie. Your secret's safe with me. I've known of your dual identity from the first time I came here, along with your close friend Billy Batson aka Captain Marvel. It's because of him that I was inspired to come here and become a super hero."

      Willie composed himself. "Okay...I can accept you being a fairy. I've seen some weird things in my short life. Assuming I'm Cool Marvel. How do you know?"

      Flora smiled. "Remember last year when you and Billy were captured and tied up here in this very apartment when a wizard took control of Caitlin?" Willie nodded his head.

      "That punk kid of the Black Magician took over the witch's mind and almost had her stabbing Billy. There was this flash of light at the last possible second and then..." Suddenly Willie's face lit up with excitement. "That light! The voices that Cait's been hearing for awhile..."

      "That was me. I heard of the wonderful tale many years ago when I dwelled in Fairyland about a human explorer who was in search for a unknown part of the world. Dudley Wright found such a place within the base of your Himalaya Mountain range where the Hawkmen and Butterfly People resided however were not at peace with each other. Captain Marvel was able to find the hidden valley and the explorer Wright and discover he was helping the Hawk people prepare to take over the mortal world. He was able to foil the plot and found that Dudley Wright's mind was turned to evil by the Hawk's Poison Weed. The Butterfly people cured him and the Hawks, which were also under the poison's influence. Since the leader of the Butterflies told me of this story, I became fascinated by the traits of the humans however it was a rule of the Fairy Queen for us pixies not to intertwine within the mortal realm."

      Willie interrupted for a moment. "Obviously you didn't listen too well, did you?"

      Flora gave him a sly smile. "Since the world of the Fearies reside in a different dimension that is close to Earth's, we can come and go only in extreme circumstances though in most cases, we can tune into the thoughts and minds of mortals who have some magical abilities, most notably witches and sorcerers. One day, I heard a young lady's cries of anguish, so painful that I couldn't ignore them. That person was Caitlin O'Malley and she told me of a great tragedy where she caused the death of a friend and she didn't know where to turn."

      Once again Willie interrupted. "I know all about that. It was when the heroes battled the wizard Mazahs and the hero Fat Billy Marvel died. That sucked but we all knew it wasn't her fault. We beat that wizard and not only did we forgive her, his death wasn't in vain and because of that war, I became his replacement, Cool Marvel."

      Flora continued. "Though everyone forgave her, Caitlin couldn't forgive herslef which was why she went into seclusion. However dark and lonely she was becoming, she always seem to become more cheerful when our minds would connect. I felt and shared her pain and my overwhelming desire was to come to the world of the humans and not only meet my long distant friend but to attempt to make my mark here as well. The Black Magician sensed how weak her mind had become and took over her mind easily and set a trap to get rid of Billy Batson. Of course he didn't know about his heroic identity of Captain Marvel and he definitely didn't count on you either, Willie."

      "Yeah! Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time but something was going on with Master B and the witch so I had to blunder into that trap too." said Willie with a chuckle under his breath.

      "Your interference did help and because of it, I was able to send a portion of my powers to disrupt things and the two of you were able to rescue Caitlin from the trap as well as yourselves. After that, she decided to go back to her homeland of Ireland. Before she left, the two of us made arrangements for me to come to Fawcett City and establish my new life. Using our magicks, we created 'Florence Fair' including her history, credentials and money source. Being friends with the leprechauns, getting coins from their pot of gold solved that issue."

      "Uh...leprechauns?!!" Said Willie. Then he shrugged his shoulders. "Guess I can take that in. After all, I hang around with talking tigers, old wizards and fight alien worms, a beastman and crocodile guys so why not little green dudes."

      "The night Caitlin left Fawcett City, I got the blessings of the Fairy Queen to come here and stepped through a mystical portal on a rainy night last year. Since then, I've been learning everything I can about the ways of the mortal, trying to blend in with the community and secetly moonlighting as a super hero, to use the term. That's my story, Willie."

      Willie stood up. "Wow, what a tale. Since I've seen you as you really are, I'll return the favor, Shazam!" Magic lightning strikes Willie B turning him into the latest member of the World's Mightiest Family...Cool Marvel. Flora squealed with a laugh.

      "Now that we know who we are, let's take off into the night sky, Flora. Stepping outside, Cool Marvel lept into the dark night's sky, followed closely by the tiny pixie who landed on Cool's shoulder. As they took the night's tour of Fawcett City, Flora whispered into Cool Marvel's ear.

      "Please don't tell anyone of my secret...not yet. I still have lots to learn to become a hero everyone can trust."

      Cool turned his head toward Flora. "No sweat, wings! Your secret's safe with me and no worries, if you need anything, call on Willie B and I'll come a running. By the way, I love that dress you were wearing earlier in the day at the market."

      Flora blushed a bright red and gave him a smile. She had learned many things since arriving from Fairyland and into Fawcett City and make friends and did her best to fit in but for the first time, she truly felt part of the mortal world with her second true friend; the first Caitlin O'Malley and now Cool Marvel.

      Meanwhile...in a secluede village in Northern Ireland, a young woman was sitting down cross-legged on the floor of a quaint but obviously old dwelling, her head tilted back and eyes closed. Smoke filled the room from the candles placed in strategic positions, the light flickering from them creating what appeared to be living shadows around the woman. She was mutterring some sort of spell when without warning, the windows flew open. A powerful wind quickly blew out the candles as the room became instantly pitch dark. Startled by the event, the young wiccan's body began to shake violently. Suddenly her eyes opened wide and glowed brightly for only an instant as she screamed a blood-curling sound, as if death itself was striking her.

      The door to the room swung open as another woman raced in and grabbed the still-tranced woman and began to shake her.

      "Wake up, Cait! It's your sister Robyn! Snap out of your trance!!!"

      Caitlin opened her eyes and is on cue, the wind died down and the lamp on the far side of the room came on. Looking pale, Robyn helped her sister off the foor and led her to the kitchen.

      After pouring a cup of freshly brewed herbal tea, Caitlin took a sip and leaned back in the chair. "My thanks, dear sister. I don't know what would've happened if your weren't there.

      "Hey, what are older sisters for?" Robyn said as she poured herself a cup of tea and sat down next to her sister. "You may be the youngest of the O'Malley clan but you're far and away the most powerful when it comes to the wiccan magicks. What did you see in your vision? Did it have to do with that mess you were in last year in Fawcett City?"

      Cait looked at Robyn with round, green eyes. "I saw a vision from Fawcett City's past...except it wasn't the past that is known by any. It's as if part of history was wiped clean and forgotten...except that it DID happen!"

      Robin looked confused by her statement. "What does that mean, sister? What you said...it doesn't make a world of sense."

      "I know. I sensed another mystical force involved. One I've not encountered or am familiar with. There was more to the vision...one that involved things to come. A peril that involves Captain Marvel and the other heroes. Before I could see further, something interrupted my vision."

      "Or someone!" snapped Robyn. "Maybe that Mazahs wizard's coming back and plans to make everyone's life a living hell again!"

      "No, sister Robyn. His presence I know all too well and this felt totally different. I fear something from the past that is forgotten by all will affect the course of destiny on not just Fawcett City but perhaps the entire Earth. Our magicks alone aren't enough to pierce the darkness however I know of one who's magicks are thousands of years old and dwarf even my abilities."

      "You don't mean?!!" said Robyn.

      "Yes." Caitlin hesitated before saying "The wizard Shazam." Before when Cait said his name, she was transformed into a member of the mighty Marvel Family however she had renounced that power, which a portion of it was given to Cool Marvel, allowing him to transform without being around Billy Batson saying the name at the same time.

      "Don't worry, sister. I do not have any plans of going back to that part of my life however Shazam has the necessary powers I may require to see what the future holds for everyone and try to figure out what the 'forgotten past' has to do with the future of our planet."

      Not the end...but the beginning!!!

    • The Time Trust
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 26, 2012
        Very interesting end to your tale. I was glad to hear a bit about how Flora came to the human world, and I'm intrigued by the Captain Marvel adventure you're referencing featuring Hawkmen and Butterfly People, which I assume comes from a published tale?

        This story seems to lead into something much bigger, and perhaps ties in with Earth-S' secret heroic history as chronicled by Libbylawrence (Master Man), CSyphrett (Shiva and Kali), and Dan Swanson (the Super Squad)? Or is this another secret history that we will learn about soon?

        Anyway, I'm glad to see this long-unfinished story come to its conclusion. I'll schedule this for publication soon.

        --
        Cheers,
        Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

        www.5earths.info

      • Arcademan
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 4, 2012
          - I was going to do a follow-up on Flora's history as well as Cool Marvel and Caitlin O'Malley ala a 'Who's Who' style. Alas, lots of work and personal health issues have put this on hold for now.

          - Correct on the Hawkmen and Butterfly People. That story appeared in Captain Marvel Adventures #143; April 1953. I needed to get Flora interested in the human world so I used this story as a base to it.

          - And could the cryptic vision Cait saw lead to E-S's secret heoric history? As Dr. Sivana would say, "Heh! Heh! Heh!!!

          Thanks for the kind words, Doc.

          Arcademan
          The Master Creator
          Warlord of CLOW!!!

          --- In ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com, The Time Trust <the_time_trust_2000@...> wrote:

          > Very interesting end to your tale. I was glad to hear a bit about how Flora came to the human world, and I'm intrigued by the Captain Marvel adventure you're referencing featuring Hawkmen and Butterfly People, which I assume comes from a published tale?
          >
          > This story seems to lead into something much bigger, and perhaps ties in with Earth-S' secret heroic history as chronicled by Libbylawrence (Master Man), CSyphrett (Shiva and Kali), and Dan Swanson (the Super Squad)? Or is this another secret history that we will learn about soon?
          >
          > Anyway, I'm glad to see this long-unfinished story come to its conclusion. I'll schedule this for publication soon.
          >
          > --
          > Cheers,
          > Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

        • Drivtaan
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 29, 2012
            Looking forward to what you have in store for our Marvelous family of heroes.

            Lee

          • Doc Quantum
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 14, 2013
              Just a note: as cool as the idea that Jim Barr (Bulletman) is the Fawcett City Police Commissioner, I have to disagree. Such a change in a major character on this site shouldn't happen in a guest role in someone else's story.

              As per Libby's stories, he's still a police scientist, but not a police commissioner.

              In the archived version of this story, I'm going to replace Jim Barr with a character we KNOW is a police commissioner: Brian Butler, the original and former Mister Scarlet. I guess the only question that still remains is whether he's the police commissioner of Fawcett City or of New York City.

              Cheers,
              Doc

              --- In ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com, "Arcademan" <arcademanu2@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >
              > "Now or never!" She darted out in front of David and then grew from her inch size to her five-inch size. David stared in disbelief as if his eyes betrayed their senses.
              >
              > "You can't be real! No!!!" Before he could react, Flora's fists glowed with magical energy and zapped his eyes, causing him to scream. "I'm as real as they come, loser!" The woman whom was being held hostage ran hysterically toward the front window doors, not pausing for a second. Flora looked over.
              >
              > "She's going to run right through the glass doors! She'll be hurt badly." She flew at top speed and a second before the woman ran into the glass, Flora shot off twin energy blasts and shattered the windows. The woman ran though them like a Hollywood special effects. Almost immediately outside, everyone ran for cover as the officers ducked behind their vehicles and drew their revolvers. Jim Barr noticed it was not the crook.
              >
              > "It's the store manager that was taken hostage! Don't fire! Hurry and get to the front of the store!" As the chaotic scene was taking place outside of the store, Flora turned back to the robber, whose vision was clearing up and still couldn't believe what was flying in front of him...a five inch fairy.
              >
              > "Please surrender and nobody get's hurt, especially you!" demanded Flora. Daid was shaking with fear until suddenly the ceiling caved in and Cool Marvel came crashing through.
              >
              > "Got to fly!" Flora shrank down and flew undetected out the very hole Cool Marvel made through the ceiling. Marvel saw the robber shaking with fear as he dropped his gun on the floor and then fainted. Scant seconds later, Commisioner Barr and two officers came through with guns drawn and noticed the hero picking up the unconscious crook and handing him to the officers.
              >
              > "Look like you came and saved the day, Cool Marvel." And as Jim Barr looked around at the scene of the crime, Cool could only say one thing...
              >
              > "Holy Moley!"
              >
              > Ten minutes later, Flora flew in the back window of her apartment and grew back to human size.
              >
              > "That was too close! Only that crook saw me. Poor David Chance...I do hope he gets the help he and his family really do need. Guess my secret's safe for another day. I'll watch the news to see what's going on with the scene and then head on to bed." However before Flo could turn on the television, there was a knock on the front door. When Flo opened it up, there stood Willie B.
              >
              > "Willie, what brings you over here tonight?" asked the young lady.
              >
              > "There was a robbery at that store we always go to earlier tonight. Wanted to see if you were okay and..." Willie hesitated, then concluded what he was going to say.
              >
              > "If you had anything to do with what went on there."

            • ddswanson
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 15, 2013

                Doc, what you mean, I hope, is, 'let's discuss this aspect of continuity before the story is archived'. Unless the concept of community ownership of continuity is only illusory, I always thought that one purpose of posting a story here was to see if the community accepted a story as extending continuity in an acceptable way, and the decision to accept a story was a community decision, not a single person's decision.

                It is not impossible or inconceivable that Jim Barr would be police commissioner; perhaps his promotion was underway off stage in Libby's stories. It DOES seem unlikely that a police scientist would become commissioner - but perhaps police commissioner is an elected position in his town and Sue ran a great campaign, or perhaps in the years since he came out of suspendium, Jim has been taking a more active role in actual police field work so he has become better known as a policeman and able administrator, and he's been steadily promoted while still helping out in the lab on a regular basis. We don't know these things because nobody has written of them, but if Jim IS the police commissioner, then they are ideas for people to write about.

                Dan

              • Frank Murdock
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 15, 2013
                  I really enjoyed this chapter. Besides what doc has stated I had only
                  only one problem with the dialogue. The following line just doesn't
                  seem to fit to me considering how the pixie came to understand the
                  "criminals" situation...

                  "> "You can't be real! No!!!" Before he could react, Flora's fists
                  glowed with magical energy and zapped his eyes, causing him to scream.
                  "I'm as real as they come, loser!""

                  I guess the term "loser" doesn't work for me? I guess I'm in the
                  mindset that Flora would have used another term like his name or made
                  the apology that despite his situation and her pity for that situation
                  there was a line that he should have not crossed? Just a suggestion.
                  It's your story after all.

                  Good job. :)

                  --
                  sincerely,

                  Frank G. Murdock
                  Acadiana Area Council of the Blind President and founder
                • Frank Murdock
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 15, 2013
                    Agreed, Dan. While it is that I do not follow continuity all that
                    tight here, I do agree with your statement. That's all I have to add
                    to this conversation since it affects all of the 5 Earths.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 19, 2013

                      I guess no one else cares to join the discussion. I don't particularly care one way or the other - let's leave it up to  Arcademan, the author.