Not with a bang...

  • ddswanson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2012
      Mid 1973, a meeting room deep inside the League of United Nations building on the bank of the East River in New York City.

      "We've made our decision." Master Man, currently the leader of the Super Squad, entered the meeting room. The big room was empty, except for one person – Majique (Val Coppersmith) was sitting between the arms of the U-shaped table. The rest of the currently active members of the Super-Squad filed in: Donal Regan (Quadrachaun), Palette, Miss Music, Elastique, Oxide; heroes all. And all of them as somber as if they were attending the funeral of a dear friend.

      `What a sorry bunch they are,' Val's thoughts derided her teammates. `I can't believe I EVER felt proud of belonging to this pitiful group.'

      Master Man remained standing behind the chair at the base of the U. "Valerie Coppersmith, also known as Majique, please rise."

      She stood, a sneer on her face. No one knew what she was thinking, but her lack of contrition was obvious.

      "You know and understand why we are gathered here today. Your peers have reviewed the issues: you are accused of betraying the Super Squad to Blaze and Satanus, abusing your privileges as a Super Squad member for your own personal good, theft of valuable and dangerous artifacts, including the Wand of Gastonburg, from the Super Squad Trophy Room, breaking and entering the Chicago Museum of Natural History and theft of artifacts from that same Museum," Master Man spoke sternly. "Because you were a member of the Super Squad at the time of these incidents, you are covered by the universal diplomatic immunity granted the Squad by the League of United Nations, there will be no criminal or civil cases brought against you."

      He paused and looked around the room, his gaze stopping on each member of the Squad in turn, ending on Majique, as he summoned up the courage he'd been granted by the mystical potion of Shazam.

      "You have brought disgrace on the good name and reputation of the Super Squad. Although we are unable to prosecute you, we can punish you. Valerie Coppersmith, as chairman of the Super Squad, with the unanimous consent of all members, both currently active and reservists, I hereby revoke your membership in the Super Squad, as well as all the rights, privileges and honors pertaining thereunto."

      "If you're through?" Val asked sarcastically. Without waiting for a reply, the fallen mage spun on her heels and, striding firmly, with confidence and a slight smile on her face, her nose held high, walked out of the conference room, out of the League of United Nations building, and out of the Super Squad in disgrace.

      ~~~***~~~

      "What a load of crap," Val swore defiantly, alone in her venerable wooden bow-top Ledge wagon, which years ago had been the mule-drawn home of her maternal grandparents. She was surrounded by a plethora of magical artifacts – some acquired legally, others through methods of which her teammates disapproved. A radio played softly in the background. The wagon was her sanctuary, protected by the strongest magic wards she'd been able to acquire.

      "These things all rightly belong to me!" she yelled to the moth-eaten tapestries that concealed the wooden walls. "They were wasted where they were before; those who had them were too ignorant to make use of them. It's only right that they belong to someone who can exploit them properly: me!"

      ~~~***~~~

      In another place, a place some might call Hell, two grotesque figures sat in a room full of flames, watching the distraught woman through a magical window as humans might watch TV, cackling with satisfaction at her anguish.

      "After years of watching that cow using your cursed magic bag, it seems your plan is finally bearing fruit, dear brother." The demon who spoke was humanoid with red skin, female, larger than human, with giant horns on the front of her head.

      "You know I don't like to say `I told you so' said the male demon, who looked much like his sister, save his skin seemed black as coal.

      "The HELL you don't!" the female, Blaze, snapped back. They both snickered at the demonesque pun.

      "As I was saying," Satanus continued in a nasty, I-told-you-so tone, "each time she reached into her so called `wishing bag', her awareness of virtue was eroded, until she now has virtually no sense of right and wrong."

      "You do run on, brother," Blaze mocked her baneful sibling.

      "I hardly need to remind you of the failure of your own earthly agent," he sneered back at his malevolent sister. "Kali was banished from this plane by Shiva, that miserable execration of the thrice-blighted Shazam,

      "Shiva vanished at the same time as Kali. I would hardly call removing the latest accursed scion of our greatest enemy `failure'!"

      "Of course you wouldn't," he sneered sarcastically.

      "I wouldn't count Kali out yet, if I were you," Blaze reposted. "Meanwhile, let's just see how successful this `Majique' turns out to be."

      Once again, they cackled, then turned their attentions back to their magic window and the living sitcom Satanus had dubbed `Her Heart Grows Darker'.

      ***~~~***

      "Too many people know that Val Coppersmith is Mystique," Val mused as she made her plans for the future. "I've got to do something about that." She remembered a magical item she'd drawn from her wishing bag years ago. "The magic bottle I gave to those 2 simpering sapphos, Palette and Miss Music, to make people forget their secret identities*. I've got a much better use for it now!"

      *This occurred in 1962, during the adventure recounted in
      Super Sisters of the Caribbean http://ladybearbooks.com/espast/sisters01.html

      Val concentrated on what she wanted. She remembered the look and feel of that bottle: cloudy blue glass shaped like a hip liquor flask, studded with barnacles and partially covered with corroded gilt-metal filigree. The metal cap was in surprisingly good condition, and there was something inside that rattled when the bottle was shaken.

      When she had the image firmly in her mind, she thrust her arm into her wishing bag to the elbow, though the bag was no more than 6 inches long on the outside. As she expected, she felt something press into her hand. When she withdrew her arm, she was holding the very bottle she desired.

      At that instant, Val heard the two words she hated most; the music on the radio had been replaced by a newscast. "..uper Squad announced two new members today.." The red anger rising inside her drowned out the rest of the newscast, and Val exploded in maniacal rage. "Always they talk about that wretched Super Squad! I HATE THEM! I wish everyone would forget the Goddamned Super Squad forever." In her tantrum she threw what she was holding, and just as she finished that sentence, the blue bottle shattered against the wall.

      ~~~***~~~

      Somewhere in a place infinitely far from Earth, but as close as death, Blaze turned to Satanus and they exchanged a fiery high five.
    • ddswanson
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2012
        Since I started creating heroes and villains to fill the 20 year period after the Suspendium event, I've been planning to write this story. I hope the group finds this story acceptable to become part of the Earth S continuity.

        --- In ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com, "ddswanson" <ddswanson@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > At that instant, Val heard the two words she hated most; the music on the radio had been replaced by a newscast. "..uper Squad announced two new members today.." The red anger rising inside her drowned out the rest of the newscast, and Val exploded in maniacal rage. "Always they talk about that wretched Super Squad! I HATE THEM! I wish everyone would forget the Goddamned Super Squad forever." In her tantrum she threw what she was holding, and just as she finished that sentence, the blue bottle shattered against the wall.
        >
        > ~~~***~~~
        >
        > Somewhere in a place infinitely far from Earth, but as close as death, Blaze turned to Satanus and they exchanged a fiery high five.

      • dave barnowski
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6, 2012
          Now that's a good beginning and explanation as to why folks didn't remmeber them

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 6, 2012
            So the Super Squad ended just before the Suspendium trap was opened in 1973, and Majique's wish magically caused all memories of the Super Squad to vanish, even from its members? Interesting.

            I hope you follow up on this a bit. I'd like to see how this plays out in the individual members. Do they simply return to their old lives, without any memories of being who they were? Or do they remember being heroes but don't remember the Super Squad any longer? Does this memory loss cause them to pause, taking a break from being individual costumed heroes just long enough for the Suspendium trap to open, then with the Marvel Family's return they each individually decide that the time is right for retirement?

            It might be nice to have a few of the Super Squad members encounter the Marvel Family sometime in the 1970s, even if they no longer remember their team.

            One last question: will the world's memories of the Super Squad ever be restored? It would be a shame if Earth-S was deprived forever of its glorious Silver Age.

            --
            Cheers,
            Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

            www.5earths.info

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2012
              Interesting questions, here is how I see it.

              *****

              Doc: So the Super Squad ended just before the Suspendium trap was opened in 1973, and Majique's wish magically caused all memories of the Super Squad to vanish, even from its members? Interesting.

              *****

              Dan: When I started creating heroes in the Suspendium Interregnum, I felt that the consensus here was that minor, local heroes introduced during that time could be easily worked into the existing 1970s continuity, but that major heroes (such as Shiva and Kali) and major super groups (Super Squad) with national or international exposure couldn't.

              This implied that if I introduced any such major heroes, sooner or later someone would have to write the story of the event, to occur some time before the Marvel Family and friends return, that caused people to forget the major heroes. I'm proposing that Not with a bang... is the story of that event, which wiped out people's memories of the Super Squad, and everything and everyone associated with them.

              I've written all my 'Suspendium Interregnum' stories, in particular those with Majique in them, with this particular event, or something very like it, in mind. Blaze and Satanus arranged for Majique to find her (cursed) magic wishing bag that eroded her morality, and then arranged for her to produce and later misuse the blue bottle with the forget spell. In a way, Val is a counterpart to Kali - both gained their powers from Blaze and Satanus, and both are being magically corrupted each time they use their powers.

              Driv and I created Majique to be self-absorbed, lazy, always looking for the easy way, and barely competent in minor magic. She chooses to acquire and employ magic items rather than studying to learn new spells. She is more than a little reckless and prone to errors in judgement, thus likely to misuse a powerful magic item that she doesn't truly understand. She originally had a good heart and really wanted to use her powers to help people - but she saw nothing wrong with getting rich along the way. 10 years of using the cursed magic wishing bag has eroded her morality (changed her alignment, if you will), but she's still lazy and reckless.

              *****

              Doc: I hope you follow up on this a bit. I'd like to see how this plays out in the individual members. Do they simply return to their old lives, without any memories of being who they were? Or do they remember being heroes but don't remember the Super Squad any longer? Does this memory loss cause them to pause, taking a break from being individual costumed heroes just long enough for the Suspendium trap to open, then with the Marvel Family's return they each individually decide that the time is right for retirement?

              It might be nice to have a few of the Super Squad members encounter the Marvel Family sometime in the 1970s, even if they no longer remember their team.

              One last question: will the world's memories of the Super Squad ever be restored? It would be a shame if Earth-S was deprived forever of its glorious Silver Age.

              *****

              Dan: I just had an interesting thought about that. Suppose the Crisis cancelled the forget spell? When people returned to normal after the worlds merged, their missing memories of the Super Squad have been restored, and nobody realizes that they had ever forgotten anything. It's a little strange that so many heroes and villains unexpectedly disappeared or changed their lives in 1972, but who worries about strange events that happened 15 years ago? And on Earth S, people are used to heroes and villains suddenly disappearing without explanation.

              That would allow any characters from the Silver Age to start appearing in the present without affecting past continuity. But it wouldn't necessarily precipitate an avalanche of (mostly) my original characters into our continuity - after all, they have been living their current lives for 15 years and may not be interested in returning to what they were in the 60s. And some of them (Red Rocket and Lady Victory, at least) have definitely retired.

              *****

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 6, 2012
                Thanks, Dave. I'm not actually planning to write any stories that directly follow up on this one, though. I'm trying to tie up the loose ends I created when I placed the Super Squad in the 60s - when everyone knows that during the 60s on Earth S, there weren't any super teams. But I am working on a story that depends on this particular event, so I hope people agree that this is a valid addition to the Earth S continuity.

                --- In ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com, dave barnowski <onlydavb@...> wrote:

                > Now that's a good beginning and explanation as to why folks didn't remmeber them

              • Arcademan
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 8, 2012
                  --- In ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com, "ddswanson" <ddswanson@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks, Dave. I'm not actually planning to write any stories that directly follow up on this one, though. I'm trying to tie up the loose ends I created when I placed the Super Squad in the 60s - when everyone knows that during the 60s on Earth S, there weren't any super teams. But I am working on a story that depends on this particular event, so I hope people agree that this is a valid addition to the Earth S continuity.

                  First of all, nice story. Second, I think it's a welcomed addition to the E-S continuity and finally, this may help me plan something that would definitely solidify their place in history in the near future.

                  Arcademan
                  The Master Creator
                  Warlord of CLOW!!!
                • ddswanson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 8, 2012
                    Anything I can do to help... <g> I'm interested in reading whatever you have in mind.

                    --- In ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com, "Arcademan" <arcademanu2@...> wrote:

                    > First of all, nice story. Second, I think it's a welcomed addition to the E-S continuity and finally, this may help me plan something that would definitely solidify their place in history in the near future.
                    >
                    > Arcademan
                    > The Master Creator
                    > Warlord of CLOW!!!

                  • dave barnowski
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 8, 2012
                      > Thanks, Dave. I'm not actually planning to write any stories that directly follow up on this one, though. I'm trying to tie up the loose ends I created when I placed the Super Squad in the 60s - when everyone knows that during the 60s on Earth S, there weren't any super teams. But I am working on a story that depends on this particular event, so I hope people agree that this is a valid addition to the Earth S continuity.

                      First of all, nice story. Second, I think it's a welcomed addition to the E-S continuity and finally, this may help me plan something that would definitely solidify their place in history in the near future.

                      Arcademan
                      The Master Creator
                      Warlord of CLOW!!!

                    • Drivtaan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 29, 2012
                        Very interesting, Dan. Looking forward to finding out wat happens next.

                        Lee