Captain Marvel Culture lecture at Wicked Faire this Saturday, Feb 19!

  • Zorikh Lequidre
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2011
      Hi friends. Happy New Year! I know it’s been a long time since a Captain Marvel
      Culture update, but I have news!

      I will be giving an updated version of my lecture about the history and
      significance of the many Captain Marvels this weekend! Attend, and you will
      learn how the name of Captain Marvel, which has been used by no fewer than 12
      different superheroes from 4 different companies over the years (not to mention
      the spin-offs, spoofs, satires, and rip-offs), is the most important name to
      follow when studying the history of comics with regards to western popular
      culture and history.

      On Saturday, Feb 19, at 1:00 PM, the lecture will take place in the Palace of
      the Eagles room at the Wicked Faire at the Doubletree in Somerset, New Jersey.
      This is a wild, fun, bizarre event for people age 16 and older. I will also be
      singing there (http://www.myspace.com/captainzorikhmusic), giving a lecture on
      the history of armor and chivalry
      (http://www.newyorkknights.captainzorikh.com/), hosting a costume contest
      (http://www.captainzorikh.com/costumecontest), and presenting “Hit the Mat,” a
      grappling arts stage show I produced (http://www.captainzorikh.com/hitthemat).

      So come on down and check it out!

      Captain Z
      http://www.captainmarvelculture.comhttp://www.captainzorikh.com

    • The Time Trust
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2011
        That's cool. I wish I could be there!

        --
        Cheers,
        Doc Quantum of The Time Trust

        http://www.5earths.info/

      • jrpelt@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2011
          While we're on the topic of characters named Captain Marvel, I could have sworn I saw the character list from an old operetta -- either 19th century or early 20th -- and one of them was named Captain Marvel (or maybe _just_ Marvel). I even found it while searching character names on IMDB once. Does this sound familar to anyone?

          --JRP