Go West, young woman! (2)

  • ddswanson
    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 4, 2009
      "You'll pay me 2 million dollars for a single robbery?" Zing was incredulous. "You want me to rip off Fort Knox or something? Or are you just crazy?"

      "I assure you, Zing, I am not crazy." He didn't sound crazy, but how could you tell over the phone? "I want something very much, and I can't think of a better way to get it."

      "So, why don't you steal it yourself?" she wanted to know.

      "What I want is guarded well against theft by normal humans, but you should have no problems" he answered matter-of-factly. "Are you interested?"

      "Tell me more!"

      *****

      Last summer, after a group of super heroes had foiled an alien invasion of Earth and then joined together to form the Super Squad (The Origin of the Super Squad), built-in self-destruct mechanisms had destroyed almost all of the alien technology. However, one of the robots that Red Rocket had disabled in his battle on the University of Chicago campus had failed to self-destruct. This robot had been recovered by the military, and was now being studied at a top-secret military research facility not far from the city. Most of the technology, though advanced beyond that of current Earth standards, was understandable, but so far the power supply had refused to reveal any secrets. Except that it delivered a seeming endless stream of power from a package about the size of a deck of cards.

      "I want that power supply!" The anonymous voice was strident with determination.

      "I want that 2 million dollars!" Zing agreed. "I think we have a deal."

      *****
    • ddswanson
      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 13, 2009
        Most people, including Zing, don't recognize how big a million dollars is. She knows it now. Glad you enjoyed it!

        Dan