Fun times 4 in Chicago! Part 5

  • Dan Swanson
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 6, 2007
      Looie's bad luck...

      Looie was determined not to blow this chance. All his life he had
      been thisclose to the big time, but he was always screwed by bad luck.
      Like the time he'd lifted 50 large - in counterfeit bills, or the
      time he'd hot-wired that Duesenberg at the classic auto show - and run
      out of gas just as he was about to ditch the cops. His life was
      filled with similar cases in which nothing but bad luck kept him down,
      but not this time!

      "Please make you third wish, new master" the Genie requested.

      "Yeah, yeah, just give me a few minutes to think!" Looie responded.
      :"What's your big hurry, anyway? You got a train to catch?"

      For an instant, small dark clouds appeared around the Genie's head,
      and miniature bolts of lightning flashed. Looie blinked - had he
      really seen that? The Genie looked as jovial as ever - or did he?
      Was he just a little larger, and a little darker, and somehow,
      now…looming above him instead of just floating in front of him?

      "I'm trying to come up with a wish that is worthy of your power and
      magnificence" he said, quickly. Did the Genie's color lighten
      imperceptibly? "I gotta give this some careful thought. Why don't
      you go back to the ring and I'll call you when I come up with
      something grand enough?"

      Nope, that was wrong. The Genie grew taller, and the swirling smoke
      that supported him started to spin faster. The clouds became visible
      again, and lightning flashed from cloud to cloud.

      "Looie was easily intimidated. The sight of an angry Genie drove all
      thoughts of caution and careful thinking from his mind. His eyes
      darted frantically around the room - and came to rest on the
      brightest, flashiest thing in the room - the cover of a comic book.
      Of course!

      "Give me real-life super-powers just like the Rush has in his comic
      book!" he pointed at the comic.

      The Genie, who was actually very bored with this whole routine, and he
      had better things to do. The comic Looie pointed to was Rush #1, and
      it told the origin of the Russet Rocket, and the origin itself
      appealed to the Genie.

      "It is DONE!" He clapped his hands, then, without even saying
      goodbye, he was gone. And he took the ring with him.

      Looie ran at the wall of his apartment at top speed, starting his body
      vibrating at super speed so he would pass through the wall. BLAM! It
      didn't work… but at least he wasn't running at superspeed and didn't
      hurt himself.

      "Damn! Screwed again!" he realized he wasn't surprised. Well, it had
      been a totally wasted day, so far. If he was gonna eat tomorrow, he
      needed to pick up some cash tonight. Putting the Genie out of his
      mind, as he had so many of his prior failures, he headed for the streets.
    • Drivtaan
      Message 43 of 43 , Jan 26, 2008
        Just finished this story, Dan, and I appreciate the fact you only gave me what was needed to help on the language. I liked the ending, and I'm glad it came as a surprise.

        Lee