Earth S

  • Christian
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 16, 2004
      Was anyone disappointed in not seeing ISIS in the Crisis on Infinate
      Earths series? EVERY DC comics character from Earth S was
      represented (almost) except her.
      Also, Mary Marvel in the last few Supergirl comics was great! She
      needs to be in a regular monthly or bi-monthly series, i.e. Birds of
      Prey, JSA, Teen Titans. That'd be cool!
    • mcmaenza
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2004
        Isis probably could not be used in Crisis because DC no longer had
        the rights. I think Filmation owned the rights to that character.
        DC was able to produce a comic briefly with her while the show was
        running due to negotiated contracts. No doubt when the book was
        cancelled, DC lost rights to use the character in comics.
      • Jim Morrison
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 18, 2004
          Someone else has probably answered this by now but
          just in case. DC Comics do not and did not own Isis.
          She was created for the TV series. When DC published
          an Isis comic they licensed the character but they
          could not use her in Crisis without paying.

          Jim
          --- Christian <comixreadr@...> wrote:

          > Was anyone disappointed in not seeing ISIS in the
          > Crisis on Infinate
          > Earths series? EVERY DC comics character from Earth
          > S was
          > represented (almost) except her.
          > Also, Mary Marvel in the last few Supergirl
          > comics was great! She
          > needs to be in a regular monthly or bi-monthly
          > series, i.e. Birds of
          > Prey, JSA, Teen Titans. That'd be cool!

          http://vote.yahoo.com
        • PixieP
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 18, 2004
            --- In ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com, mcmaenza <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            > Isis probably could not be used in Crisis because DC no longer had
            > the rights. I think Filmation owned the rights to that
            character.
            > DC was able to produce a comic briefly with her while the show was
            > running due to negotiated contracts. No doubt when the book was
            > cancelled, DC lost rights to use the character in comics.

            Right. Filmation owned the rights and created The Mighty Isis (the
            legal name). Though Isis is a public domain name as mentioned, the
            story and characters surrounding the Filmation version were
            copyrighted. A British company recently bought the Filmation library
            so it's a possibility it may be released in DVD form in the future
            and now apparently there's talk about bringing Isis and Andrea
            Thomas to of all things...the big screen ;o)

            DC Comics never owned the rights to Isis which is the reason she did
            not appear in Crisis but of course here in this group, Andrea Thomas
            and her mystical alter ego are alive and kicking ;o)

            PixieP
            Master of the Mystical Lightning
            Guardian of the Kingdom of Clow!
          • christian
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
              Did anyone read Kingdom Comes? The novel from Alex Ross, featuring the DC characters, battling renegade heroes? There's a panel (and I don't have my book with me so I'm not sure what page it's on) but either Wonder Woman or Superman is briefing some heroes in their HQ and there's a woman, sitting at the discussion table, that has ISIS's costume on, except for the tiara. It's obviously her but she's drawn as if she has aged slightly. If you guys get a chance, check it out...I'll try to find the page. I might be totally off but I think it could be her.

              PixieP <pixiep2k4@...> wrote:--- In ShazamEarthSliveson@yahoogroups.com, mcmaenza <no_reply@y...>
              wrote:
              > Isis probably could not be used in Crisis because DC no longer had
              > the rights. I think Filmation owned the rights to that
              character.
              > DC was able to produce a comic briefly with her while the show was
              > running due to negotiated contracts. No doubt when the book was
              > cancelled, DC lost rights to use the character in comics.

              Right. Filmation owned the rights and created The Mighty Isis (the
              legal name). Though Isis is a public domain name as mentioned, the
              story and characters surrounding the Filmation version were
              copyrighted. A British company recently bought the Filmation library
              so it's a possibility it may be released in DVD form in the future
              and now apparently there's talk about bringing Isis and Andrea
              Thomas to of all things...the big screen ;o)

              DC Comics never owned the rights to Isis which is the reason she did
              not appear in Crisis but of course here in this group, Andrea Thomas
              and her mystical alter ego are alive and kicking ;o)

              PixieP
              Master of the Mystical Lightning
              Guardian of the Kingdom of Clow!

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • libbylawrence
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 22, 2004
                Could she be the bride of Ibis instead? Taia?
              • MaxtheGnome@wmconnect.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 22, 2004
                  In a message dated 9/21/2004 10:56:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  comixreadr@... writes:

                  > Did anyone read Kingdom Comes? The novel from Alex Ross, featuring the DC
                  > characters, battling renegade heroes? There's a panel (and I don't have my
                  > book with me so I'm not sure what page it's on) but either Wonder Woman or
                  > Superman is briefing some heroes in their HQ and there's a woman, sitting at the
                  > discussion table, that has ISIS's costume on, except for the tiara. It's
                  > obviously her but she's drawn as if she has aged slightly. If you guys get a
                  > chance, check it out...I'll try to find the page. I might be totally off but
                  > I think it could be her.

                  If you are talking about the scene right before Wonder Woman takes her team
                  to the gulag, the woman seated at the table is Lady Marvel. Of course, I still
                  wouldn't be surprised to find her in there somewhere; after all, Alex did put
                  in the Monkee-men (from the t.v. show The Monkees) and a group of robot-type
                  heroes that stongly resembled Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

                  Drivtaan

                • BLACKWOLF
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 24, 2004
                    --- christian <comixreadr@...> wrote:

                    > Did anyone read Kingdom Comes? The novel from Alex
                    > Ross, featuring the DC characters, battling renegade
                    > heroes? There's a panel (and I don't have my book
                    > with me so I'm not sure what page it's on) but
                    > either Wonder Woman or Superman is briefing some
                    > heroes in their HQ and there's a woman, sitting at
                    > the discussion table, that has ISIS's costume on,
                    > except for the tiara. It's obviously her but she's
                    > drawn as if she has aged slightly. If you guys get
                    > a chance, check it out...I'll try to find the page.
                    > I might be totally off but I think it could be her.
                    Look closely in that book and you'll see The Monkey
                    Men Wendy and her brother from the early SUPERFRIENDS
                    and lots of other surprise cameos.

                    Wolf

                    =====
                    ^ ^
                    * *
                    (-)

                    http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                  • libbylawrence
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 24, 2004
                      That's pretty cool. I never recalled seeing the Monkee Men or the
                      Sgt. Pepper group before in KC.