X12N and Fifty-Ten (005010) -- What's Happening

  • David A. Feinberg, C.D.P.
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2004
      Work is now underway using conference calls, list servers, web boards,
      and Trimester and potentially interim meetings on the next round of X12N
      documents that are the counterparts of the 004010 and 004010A1 version
      Implementation Guides adopted under HIPAA. Below are some salient points
      for your information.

      A. These new documents are planned to be issued as X12 Type Three
      Technical Reports (TR3) rather than X12N Implementation Guides. This
      represents an expansion of X12N's and X12's internal processes and
      reviews, but should have only minimal impacts once the new documents are
      published.

      B. The new TR3's will be written for X12's version 005010 standards
      that were approved for publication in October, 2003.

      C. X12N's TR3 authoring work groups are presently writing on
      differing, staggered schedules. A better understanding of their various
      cut-off and completion milestones will evolve over the next few
      months. In the meantime, I encourage anyone desiring to request changes
      for potential -- but not guaranteed -- consideration for inclusion in
      the version 005010 TR3's, or any other HIPAA materials, to submit them
      to the Designated Standards Maintenance Organizations' (DSMO) web site
      [ www.hipaa-dsmo.org/crs ] without undue procrastination.

      D. Submitters of change requests will soon find that additional
      information will be required for each request. This information varies
      depending on the primary DSMO impacted. The specific additional
      information items have been derived from actual experiences over the
      past couple of years and are intended to facilitate and accelerate the
      analyses performed by the various DSMO unpaid volunteers.
      For change requests relating to X12N guides, submitters should
      be prepared to provide the following additional information:
      -- an explicit indication of each current guide impacted, along with
      the applicable sections, page numbers, and version
      -- any healthcare specialties that drive or are impacted by the
      change request
      -- a readily contactable subject matter expert name, e-mail
      address, and telephone number
      -- an alternate contact name, e-mail address, and telephone number
      -- any X12N groups that may have been contacted in the past
      and their responses
      -- any industry organizations that may have been consulted in the
      past and their comments
      -- references to any previous change requests and frequently asked
      questions / responses

      For those who are looking for more information on how the HIPAA
      TCS adoption processes are presently and will play out into the future,
      the attachment lists some training that's available from my company.

      I hope the above proves informative and useful. Please feel free to
      forward this message in its entirety to any others whom you believe
      could benefit.

      Dave Feinberg
      Co-chair, HIPAA Implementation Work Group
      Insurance Subcommittee (X12N)
      Accredited Standards Committee X12
      Rensis Corporation [A Consulting Company]
      206-617-1717
      DAFeinberg@...
      Author of "Understanding HIPAA Communications"
    • David A. Feinberg, C.D.P.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 28, 2004
        This message is a follow-up installment to an e-mail I sent in late
        February on the same subject. At that time, I wrote, "X12N's TR3
        authoring work groups are presently writing on differing, staggered
        schedules. A better understanding of their various cut-off and
        completion milestones will evolve over the next few months".

        In the intervening period, a master schedule has been established and
        refined. While there are many milestones included in this schedule, the
        next external dates that are most important at this juncture are those
        for public comment periods for each of the version 005010 Type 3
        Technical Report (TR3) drafts -- both counterparts to those presently
        adopted under HIPAA as well as others that may be voluntarily
        additionally used at any time. The one page Microsoft Word attachment
        to this message shows the presently projected time frames for X12N's
        public comment periods for the twenty-two TR3's, and a couple of
        additional IG's, presently being written. [And please keep in mind that
        'projected' time frames can change as the volunteers determine
        appropriate.]

        Change requests approved by the Designated Standards Maintenance
        Organizations (DSMO) Steering Committee (www.hipaa-dsmo.org/crs)
        approximately five months prior to the public comment period for each
        HIPAA counterpart TR3 are presently planned to be incorporated. [Again,
        please see my cautionary comment in the preceding paragraph.]

        Additionally, as part of the 005010 TR3 writing process, situational
        notes are in the process of being modified to be fewer in variety
        [now written using merely two primary templates] plus more consistent
        and specific. For this and many other reasons, participation in TR3
        writing [see last paragraph below] and/or careful review during the
        public comment periods is vital.

        As always, I hope this message and its attachment prove informative and
        useful. Please feel free to forward this message in its entirety to any
        others whom you believe could benefit. You may contact me off-list at
        DAFeinberg@... should you wish a re-send of my original
        February e-mail. You may also contact me off-list should you desire to
        obtain more information on how the X12N public comment periods fit into
        the overall HIPAA adoption process.

        X12's Healthcare Insurance task group and its work groups management
        teams have worked long and hard on developing the master TR3 writing
        schedule. If you'd like to participate in the TR3 authoring process,
        please come join us. Member participation is welcome at any time, and
        the next open-to-all-for-a-fee X12 Trimester Meeting is in Miami, 4-7
        October; see http://x12.org/x12org/meetings/x12trimt/index.cfm over the
        next two months as detailed schedules are finalized.