Re: [Shamanic Ways] Just saying hello

  • eeklektic
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2007
      Laura:

      Thank you for your words of encouragment! I am still doing some research and learning. I
      just got Ted Andrews book on Animal Speak. Is he considered okay or not?

    • utalga
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 6, 2007
        hello V -

        glad to hear you are researching and learning. i am not familiar with
        the author Ted Andrews nor his book "Animal Speak." i did however
        look it up on amazon.com. there i was able to take a look at it's
        table of contents, where i noticed that he misuses the term "totem."
        this is a very common mistake you will run into frequently in New Age
        writing and discussions of "shamanism." the word totem is from the
        Ojibwa and refers to a being or entity - most often an animal, but
        sometimes another natural object - who protects and is an emblem of a
        tribe or clan. so the proper use of the term is in the realm of kin
        and not the individual. due to the author's misuse of this basic
        terminology, i am quick to dismiss his writing as New Age
        misinformation. you ask "Is he considered okay or not?" i'm not
        entirely sure what you mean by "okay," but i offer you the above as my
        personal opinion. if there is a specific subject matter that you are
        interesting in learning about - such as animal symbolism in a
        particular culture, you could probably ask for recommendations from
        people in this group. this might be a good way to wade through the
        seas of misinformation out there. what do YOU think of the book so far?

        --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, eeklektic <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Laura:
        >
        > Thank you for your words of encouragment! I am still doing some
        research and learning. I
        > just got Ted Andrews book on Animal Speak. Is he considered okay or not?

      • Nick Noble Wolf
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 6, 2007
          > Thank you for your words of encouragment! I am still doing some research
          > and learning. I
          > just got Ted Andrews book on Animal Speak. Is he considered okay or not?

          What do you hope to learn from it?

          Blessings,
          ~Nick
        • Forestmage
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 7, 2007
            --- utalga <utalga@...> wrote:
            > i am not familiar with
            > the author Ted Andrews nor his book "Animal Speak." i did however
            > look it up on amazon.com. there i was able to take a look at it's
            > table of contents, where i noticed that he misuses the term "totem."
            > this is a very common mistake you will run into frequently in New Age
            > writing and discussions of "shamanism." the word totem is from the
            > Ojibwa and refers to a being or entity - most often an animal, but
            > sometimes another natural object - who protects and is an emblem of a
            > tribe or clan. so the proper use of the term is in the realm of kin
            > and not the individual. due to the author's misuse of this basic
            > terminology, i am quick to dismiss his writing as New Age
            > misinformation.

            On top of this, another thing to look for regarding any author who
            writes about animal symbolism is whether or not they indicate which
            specific tribal people hold a particular meaning for an animal, since
            this can be very different from one tribe to the next. To assume there
            are "universal" animal meanings can only lead to error.

            Considering also that the meaning of an animal to a particular tribe is
            going to be very much in relation to the context and 'mindset' of that
            particular culture, if you are not yourself a part of that culture
            (including if you don't fluently speak that culture's native language)
            you certainly cannot assume that an animal that, say, appears in a
            dream you have is really going to mean *for you* what that culture says
            about it.

            Probably you are going to have to determine for yourself what a
            particular animal means to you.

            FM

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs