Re: Death Midwife .. was: question for any native tribe member.

  • wayne_dogfox
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2007
      I know of 3 or 4 Druid Priests here in the U.K who perform this same
      service for people.

      regards
      Dogfox

      --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, "Yngona Desmond" <yngona@...> wrote:

      > Steve wrote [[I am interested in learning more about what a "Death
      > Midwife" is and what they do. Is this part of the Heathen tradition
      > or something else?]]
      > ** Not specifically Heathen, but has certainly become more
      > particular to those who follow a Earth-based path, and those who feel
      > strongly about taking personal care of their loved ones (regardless
      > of spiritual or religious beliefs).
      >
      > A Death Midwife assists a family so that they may have a home wake
      > (preparing the body and having the family participate in the cleaning
      > and dressing), as well as the legal process (particular to each
      > state). A Death Midwife does not take over the process (though
      > trained to), but assists the family in paying the final and loving
      > respects to their family member - in a way that honors the final
      > wishes of the deceased, and the personal and specific traditions of
      > the family. This makes the death process more intimate, thus
      > facilitating the healing process, starting a healthy cycle of healing
      > for the family.
      >
      > If you, or anyone else, would like additional information, please
      > feel free to contact Reginald directly:
      > wunjomannaz@...
      >
      > Live Deliberately!
      > Yngona Desmond

    • Yngona Desmond
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 3, 2007
        Dogfox wrote [[I know of 3 or 4 Druid Priests here in the U.K who
        perform this same service for people.]]
        ** Glad news! It is a practice that is returning to its roots. When
        my great grandparents passed, their bodies were brought home, silver
        coins placed upon their eyes; not taken to a funeral home.

        Many spirit paths are re-awakening to this practice, and it is a worthy
        one to rekindle - honoring and loving our dead. So many feel somehow
        lost from their ancestry today; no doubt this beautiful tradition will
        strengthen the threads of relation to strengthen the overall weave of
        our being.

        There is healing in this.

        ... Yngona Desmond
      • wayne_dogfox
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 3, 2007
          --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, "Yngona Desmond" <yngona@...> wrote:

          > Dogfox wrote [[I know of 3 or 4 Druid Priests here in the U.K who
          > perform this same service for people.]]
          > ** Glad news! It is a practice that is returning to its roots. When
          > my great grandparents passed, their bodies were brought home, silver
          > coins placed upon their eyes; not taken to a funeral home.
          >
          > Many spirit paths are re-awakening to this practice, and it is a worthy
          > one to rekindle - honoring and loving our dead. So many feel somehow
          > lost from their ancestry today; no doubt this beautiful tradition will
          > strengthen the threads of relation to strengthen the overall weave of
          > our being.
          >
          > There is healing in this.
          >
          > ... Yngona Desmond

          If you are interested in reading more about what is being made
          available to people, there is a page on the Druid Network with
          Articles and profiles/ links of Priests and Celebrants - at least 2 of
          these Priests live in the U.S.A.

          http://druidnetwork.org/ethical/death

          hope you find it interesting

          regards
          Dogfox
        • Willem
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 3, 2007
            wrote:
            > Many spirit paths are re-awakening to this practice, and it is a
            worthy one to rekindle - honoring and loving our dead. So many feel
            somehow lost from their ancestry today; no doubt this beautiful
            tradition will strengthen the threads of relation to strengthen the
            overall weave of our being.

            > There is healing in this.

            yeah there is. I'm glad to know that you seem to focus on it as well :)

            I've lost someone a few years a go and everything was so clinical and
            unpersonal that it left me and the others with no healing whatsoever.
            Had to go and learn how to apply methods for saying goodbye,
            psychopomp, rites and ceremonies, myself in order to repear the damage.

            I wonder how 'spirit paths' (as you say) can come to a good re-
            awakening of this practice... how modern people, cut of from tradition
            can find back these ways, in a good and balanced way?

            Are you or is anyone else familiar with any good documentation on this
            subject.
            I'm reading a book from Kristen Madden at the moment, called: "The
            shamanic guide to death and dying". It's OK I feel.

            bye

            Willem
          • Yngona Desmond
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 3, 2007
              Willem wrote [[I'm glad to know that you seem to focus on it as well]]
              ** Being a Heathen and a Seidhu, I am mostly certainly aware of the
              faring of life, death, and all things inbetween.

              [[I've lost someone a few years a go and everything was so clinical
              and unpersonal that it left me and the others with no healing
              whatsoever.]]
              ** I am saddened to hear this.

              [[Had to go and learn how to apply methods for saying goodbye,
              psychopomp, rites and ceremonies, myself in order to repear the
              damage.]]
              ** All needful things.

              [[I wonder how 'spirit paths' (as you say) can come to a good re-
              awakening of this practice... how modern people, cut of from
              tradition can find back these ways, in a good and balanced way?]]
              ** Awareness is the key issue .. that and education, of course. So
              few folk realize that they *do not* have to use a funeral home. The
              laws for each state do vary (here in the USA) but a trained Death
              Midwife (like my apprentice, Reginald) is well aware of these laws
              and trained to handle them. In this way, he can either take care of
              matters himself or assist a family member through the red-tape and
              gray areas.

              [[Are you or is anyone else familiar with any good documentation on
              this subject. I'm reading a book from Kristen Madden at the moment,
              called: "The shamanic guide to death and dying". It's OK I feel.]]
              ** Reginald has some books and websites on the subject, and because
              he actually went to school for this, I will let him reply to this
              later.

              ... Yngona Desmond
              http://hodmimir-holt.blogspot.com/
            • yzermongol
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 3, 2007
                wrote:

                > ... Yngona Desmond
                > http://hodmimir-holt.blogspot.com/

                Yngona, I have never read this blog before. It is great! Thanks for
                sharing it. I also look forward to your apprentice's writings on the
                Death Midwife. It is facinating.
                Also, thank you to Dogfox for the link to the Druid site. I checked
                that out as well.
                Steve
              • wayne_dogfox
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 3, 2007
                  --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, "yzermongol" <yzermongol@...> wrote:

                  > --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, "Yngona Desmond" <yngona@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > ... Yngona Desmond
                  > > http://hodmimir-holt.blogspot.com/
                  > >

                  > Yngona, I have never read this blog before. It is great! Thanks for
                  > sharing it. I also look forward to your apprentice's writings on the
                  > Death Midwife. It is facinating.
                  > Also, thank you to Dogfox for the link to the Druid site. I checked
                  > that out as well.
                  > Steve

                  your welcome :)

                  I forgot to add this link as well,

                  http://www.naturaldeath.org.uk/

                  which is to a a website that has information about Natural Burial
                  sites and books about British Law relating to Natural burials and
                  links to U.S, Canadian and Australian sites with the same information
                  for those regions.

                  regards
                  Dogfox
                • hodmimir_holt
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Steve wrote [[Yngona, I have never read this blog before. It is
                    great!]]
                    ** Thank you Steve.

                    [[Thanks for sharing it.]]
                    ** It is new and soon to be linked to my website.

                    [[I also look forward to your apprentice's writings on the Death
                    Midwife. It is facinating.]]
                    ** Yes, it is a remarkable subject, one worthy of study and
                    application.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Willem wrote [[Are you or is anyone else familiar with any good
                      documentation on this subject. I'm reading a book from Kristen Madden
                      at the moment, called: "The shamanic guide to death and dying". It's OK
                      I feel.]]
                      ** Reginald, my apprentice, has related that there 'really are no
                      books' on this subject. Or at least, it depends on what someone is
                      looking for.

                      Specifics are found in his school book, used during the course he took
                      in CA:
                      http://finalpassages.org/

                      He has the book you mention above (Ive been leafing through it). His
                      assessment is that it offers no actual how-to information. It appears
                      to me (and I have not read it) as more a new age/metaphysical book, not
                      a practical/hands-on one.