RE: [Shamanic Ways] Re: channeling verses Shamanism

  • Kevin Hawkins
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
      I know I'm speaking the obvious here, but felt like throwing in my own two cents. As I understand it, shamanic journeying is us traveling to the spirit world, where we visit the spirits of animals, ancestors and other beings. We may play the part of a messenger, but are never truly possessed by a foreign spirit. While channeling is opening the door to let a spirit possess your being. In this way, they use us as a conduit to break through to the material world. They are speaking directly without the shaman as a go between. Also, in channeling( i.e. medium) you are handing control of your being over to an external spirit. Protection is critical, not so much to protect you from the trusting spirit you are allowing in, but from the other spirits waiting in the wings for the first sign of an opening to jump in and take control(i.e. unwanted possession).

      I hope this helps Cristy,
      Shamanhawk

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
        Yes it does help thanks to you Kevin and everyone elses input. :)