Re: Dangers of shamanism

  • true_dog2
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, "Wulfie" <wulfshado@y...> wrote:

      > Just because someone has had a course or read a book doesn't mean
      > that they are even taking journeys. They might think they are but
      > they're not, they're more along the lines of fantasy visualization.
      > In other words they're taking INNER journeys, rather than SHAMANIC
      > journeys, tho many newage writers/teachers seem to get the two
      > confused. And people rarely discuss the differences between these two
      > types of journeying which only adds to the confusion.

      I thought I was one of the few who ever saw things quite that way. Of
      course, I see value in what I call "movements" as in movements of
      awareness within the realms of one's soul. I think we run into this
      with "power animals". It seems that these "power animal journeys" are
      investigations into the soulfull aspects of ones person.

      > The real heart of shamanism will never make it into books or seminars
      > or those sorts of things. These books and seminars and people are
      > teaching technique, they're not teaching tradition. Journeying is far
      > more than the technique of "visualize a hole and go down it". My
      > friend put it this way: "What's being taught, popularly, doesn't tap
      > real power or medicine. What many people are doing is without
      > sufficient enough medicine or presence to make an impact on any
      > level. It exists in the realm of the mind alone and never taps the
      > deeper levels that help shift things. A lot of times it carries no
      > energy, no cause, no effect. It is spiritually inert. The deepest and
      > most meaningful secrets are never in books. They would rarely ever
      > make it into the hands of anyone who would be prone to publishing
      > them and the spirits guard these secrets closely."

      Some might suggest that "core" shamanism is shamanism with the soul
      stripped away. Without the tellings and mythology and traditions, what
      does one have? Shamanism without soul, which would maybe not be
      shamanism at all.

      However, is there any danger in that?

      Blessings,
      ~Nick
    • true_dog2
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2004
        --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, "wayne_dogfox" <brightforge@y...>
        wrote:

        > I did go out on Calan Gaef (1st November - first day of
        > Winter),

        I thought winter solstice was the first day of winter. How is the date
        of Calan Gaef determined?

        Blessings,
        ~Nick
      • wayne_dogfox
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 12, 2004
          Hi Nick,

          > I thought winter solstice was the first day of winter. How is the
          date
          > of Calan Gaef determined

          Calan Gaef is the first day of the new moon and the start of the
          year, then for the next 2 lunar months every thing is 'ticking over'
          until the the Winter Solstice (or 'Alban Arthan' to Druids) which
          is the date when the daylight is at it's shortest , from this date
          comes growth of the new year

          in the Old Gaelic Calendars there are 13 months of 28 days
          (following the Lunar cycles) , giving us 364 days to the year.
          Traditionaly Calan Gaef is the 13th moon Cycle since the previous
          Calan Gaef so it fits any where in a 2 week period overlapping
          October and November.

          Traditionaly each festival is 3 days long - as the moon is in its
          phase for 3 days , this is further affected by a 4 year cycle, so
          the mid winter festival in the Pre-Gregorian Calender traditionaly
          could occur anytime between the 18th of December and the 30th which
          is where 'we' get the '12 days of Christmas' (4 X 3 days).

          BUT, to fit in with the Gregorian calendar most modern Pagans
          celebrate Samhain/ Calan Gaef as the 30 Oct - 1st Nov; although in
          the pre Gregorian calendar it could have been anywhere between 24th
          Oct - 7th November . which is where the burning of the Guy on 'Guy
          Fawkes' night comes from - the real Guy Fawkes was not burned but
          was executed; in the Pre Christian Pagan calendar the effigy of
          the 'King of the Summer ' who had been made and crowned at Beltaine/
          Calan Mai (Mayday - start of the summer) was burned to signify the
          end of his reign and on this night chaos reigned from sunset to
          sunrise and was known as 'mischief night'

          went a bit overboard with the explanation I think
          Oh Well :)

          in friendship
          Dogfox