Re: Masks and Costumes

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hi Wayne,

      I also use props when I do my energy work, but I constantly change
      them because I do have a fear of getting caught up in the physical.
      It's just one of my little hang-ups, I don't want to be dependent
      on 'things'. However, I do think that your jacket is a nice idea. I'm
      planning to make myself a robe and embroider it too. What would be a
      problem is loosing the object and then thinking that you can't
      perform without it.
      Judy S.

      --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Danewood"
      <brightforge@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Nick,
      >
      > >Do you wear any special costume when you
      > > shamanize? If so, what is it? Why? Is it like a mask in a way?
      >
      > I don't at this time, but I am trying to source two things that
      will
      > connected with my workings:
      > The first is a plain heavy cotton Jacket, rather like the tibetan
      > jackets or like a judo style jacket with a hood ; this I inted to
      > dye a chestnut/ Earth brown and then embroider on the left arm,
      > chest and across the shoulders symbols of my Path , such as Oak
      > leaves , representations of my Spirit Guides and anything else that
      > feels right at the time! this is going to be used for Rites when I
      > want 'tight' focus as a way of starting my mind on 'the track of
      > being in' Ritual.
      >
      > The second - i am trying to find somewhere where I can get white
      owl
      > feathers ; my intention is to create a a shirt sleaved with
      feathers
      > for a Rite I have in mind to celebrate my connection with my Owl
      > guide.
      >
      > Many people have said that I am limiting my ability to 'Work' by
      > using 'props' but I don't see them as this; I see them as a way to
      > connect deeper with my Spirit Guides and Path. A way to prepare my
      > Mind and Spirit for that connection.
      >
      > So in answer to the last section of your question, it is like a
      Mask
      > in that it changes my perception of what I am.
      >
      > In friendship
      > Dogfox
      >

      > --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, true_dog2 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > > As I see it, use of a mask is very similar to the use of any
      > medicine
      > > object such as a feather, for instance. Its use assists the
      > > practitioner in focusing his/her intention in becoming that which
      > the
      > > mask represents. For the observer, the seeing of the mask assists
      > > them in seeing that which the mask creates.
      > >
      > > I have one way that I bring forth on rare occasions that uses
      face
      > > paint. I use red earth for the paint. I have also been looking
      for
      > > coyote mask for some years for another ceremony that would be
      > > enhanced by its use. I guess it will come when the time is right.
      > >
      > > Here's a follow-up question: Do you wear any special costume when
      > you
      > > shamanize? If so, what is it? Why? Is it like a mask in a way?
      > >
      > > Blessings,
      > > ~Nick
      > >
      > > --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Danewood"
      > > <brightforge@y...> wrote:
      > > > Hi Kris,

      > > > I find that symbol of pattern painting as a mask helps focus my
      > > > intention prior to or within Rite; As to the carved masks they
      > are
      > > > used in conjuction 'clothing' within specific rites where I
      > > > need 'tight' focus and a 'solid' connection with an animal
      > Spirit
      > > or
      > > > Element.
      > > >
      > > > I don't always use 'masks' but when I do I find the Rites are
      > very
      > > > intense and exhausting.
      > > >
      > > > What does any one else think?
      > > >
      > > > Dan what about you in Hawaii - I have seen beautiful Hawaiian
      > > > masks - do you have any thoughts on this?
      > > >
      > > > in friendship
      > > > Dogfox
      > > >

      > > > --- In ShamanicWays@yahoogroups.com, Your Bark is my Dinner
      Bell