drumming - beats per minute

  • woodryd
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
      Just curious if people have noticed differences in their journey
      experiences based on the tempo of drumming they journey to.

      Why do I ask... I used to work with a circle where I'd guess the BPM
      was in the 160 to 200 range. These journey's were often (although
      not always) very fast paced and my movements were always very quick.
      Recently, I journeyed with a circle where the BPM was much slower
      (I'd guess 20-30 BMP) and noticed my movements within the journey
      were quite calm and flowing. The nature of the journey was such that
      calm/flowing movements made sense regardless of the BPM, but it still
      brought this question to mind. I plan to continue journeying with
      this new found circle and see for myself if the slower BPM has an
      effect on my journeying, but was curious what others think and have
      experienced.

      cheers,
      Doug
    • samaraori
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
        (I hate doing introductions.)

        Sure. Certain measures used in drumming will raise breath and heart
        rate but is has been my experience that every time you come to the
        drum your whole self is attuned to different needs based on whatever
        may be going on with you at that point. It isn't so much the measure
        as it is being in a state that is calm enough to accept whatever
        rhythm that you choose(insert your own musical theory lingo here). If
        I'm not centered by meditation and invocation to the spirit, or if
        the spirit has not blessed me with a call, then it is not going to
        work.

        The meassures themselves do not affect the speed of a journey for
        me. That is,I do not neccessarily "travel" faster to a certain
        rate....but the tone is whate affects me the most. Which is as we all
        know, affected slightly by rate.
      • true_dog2
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 6, 2002
          --- In ShamanicWays@y..., "woodryd" <DougsNot@c...> wrote:
          > Just curious if people have noticed differences in their journey
          > experiences based on the tempo of drumming they journey to.

          Absolutely. I vary the tempo based on what is intended. When the
          Horse is running, the tempo is much faster than when he is
          walking. The Earth Mother's heartbeat is always going to be quite
          slow. Etc...

          > Why do I ask... I used to work with a circle where I'd guess the
          BPM
          > was in the 160 to 200 range. These journey's were often
          (although
          > not always) very fast paced and my movements were always
          very quick.

          Like a running horse...

          > Recently, I journeyed with a circle where the BPM was much
          slower
          > (I'd guess 20-30 BMP) and noticed my movements within the
          journey
          > were quite calm and flowing. The nature of the journey was
          such that
          > calm/flowing movements made sense regardless of the BPM,
          but it still
          > brought this question to mind.

          More like the Earth Mother...

          >I plan to continue journeying with
          > this new found circle and see for myself if the slower BPM has
          an
          > effect on my journeying, but was curious what others think and
          have
          > experienced.

          Similar to you. As your group learns more about how the tempo
          affects things, you can intentfully change the tempo--even within
          one journey--to affect the journey and what occurs during it. I
          would suggest that your group investigate this if they have not
          already.

          Blessings,
          ~True Dog