Re: [ShadowRealms] Recommendations

  • Ariel VanSaandt
    Message 1 of 52 , Sep 3, 2003
      > ~Jukia
      > P.S. What is your opinion on the books they make you
      > read in school?

      My opinion is that it is the worst idea for promoting
      literacy anyone ever thought of.

      Nothing NOTHING nothing is worse than forcing someone
      to read something that they may not like, except
      forcing them to read it because they will be tested on
      it. That turns reading into a chore, and dissecting it
      in class for a further few weeks plus assigning essays
      and projects ad nauseum just turns the whole debacle
      into a post at alt.deadhorse.beat.beat.beat.

      Even as a student myself, I always thought that a
      better solution would be to allow students to choose
      from a LONG, VARIED list of books and follow-up
      projects and design their own reading experience. The
      only reason I include follow-up projects is because I
      acknowledge the need for accountability, otherwise I
      think it's a waste of time.

      Bottom line: Not every schoolkid is a born reader. Not
      every born reader wants to read every word ever
      printed on any page ever. Don't ruin your readers by
      burning them out on crap they don't like and don't
      frighten off your marginal readers by doing the same.

      Rant Edited For Content.

      ~Ariel
      *who's STILL furious and REALLY wants the three days
      of her life back that she spend wading through the
      utter $#@% that is The Catcher In The Rye.*

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      Message 52 of 52 , Sep 10, 2003
        Elaine wrote:

        > I thought I would finally quit lurking around and say "hi." I joined
        > a couple of weeks ago because I loved Black Jewels Trilogy and can't
        > wait to read more stories set in that world.

        Welcome to the list, Elaine! :)

        Kandra