Re: [ShadowRealms] overquoting

    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 1, 2003
      BJ,

      > Sorry guys. Maybe others like me on this list are in their 30's, and
      > have had no real computer training in school or otherwise.

      I'm older than you if that makes you feel better <g>. If you
      like, I'd be happy to email you offlist on how to delete
      stuff from an email.

      Kandra
    • Adrienne
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 8, 2003
        For all those who have not had a chance to learn decent netiquette for
        whatever reason, this link
        http://www.timp.net/osclistgallery/Netiquette.htm was written by members
        of an email list dedicated to an author who felt they needed to curb
        certain behavior. Anyway, it is very well written and very
        informative. It is also a nice review for those who have learned
        netiquette, but could always use a refresher course :)

        Adrienne
      • Adrienne
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 8, 2003
          If you don't mind buying online, half.com has a lot of books that are
          harder to find, many out of print because people have them and don't want
          them anymore.

          Adrienne

          At 06:30 PM 7/31/2003 -0700, you wrote:

          >"Bernice ." <jaenelle_13@...> wrote:Thanks A ton. I've been
          >lstening to all these great books and out local book storse dont have
          >them. Ill try Chapters. :D
          >It usually depends where you live. I'm in Canada, so I can give you
          >suggestions for that if you want :) I usually purchase from Chapters (online
          >or at the store) since I have a membership there. I know quite a few people
          >get books from amazon.com, but I'm not sure of the shipping rates.
          >
          >If you're looking for a particular book, check with your local bookstore and
          >see if they'd be willing to order it in. Generally I have found that larger
          >chain bookstores (such as Chapters) have a greater variety, since they have
          >the capital to bring in more books.
          >
          >Bernice

          Mother of Emilynn (4) and Jonah (2 1/2)

          Independent Longaberger Consultant
          http://www.longaberger.com/adrienneroehrich
          4yourhome@...
        • Rachel Mace
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 8, 2003
            *hugs her copy* I wont give this one away! *sniff sniff*
            ~Jukia

            Adrienne <lists@...> wrote:
            If you don't mind buying online, half.com has a lot of books that are
            harder to find, many out of print because people have them and don't want
            them anymore.

            Adrienne

            At 06:30 PM 7/31/2003 -0700, you wrote:

            >"Bernice ." <jaenelle_13@...> wrote:Thanks A ton. I've been
            >lstening to all these great books and out local book storse dont have
            >them. Ill try Chapters. :D
            >It usually depends where you live. I'm in Canada, so I can give you
            >suggestions for that if you want :) I usually purchase from Chapters (online
            >or at the store) since I have a membership there. I know quite a few people
            >get books from amazon.com, but I'm not sure of the shipping rates.
            >
            >If you're looking for a particular book, check with your local bookstore and
            >see if they'd be willing to order it in. Generally I have found that larger
            >chain bookstores (such as Chapters) have a greater variety, since they have
            >the capital to bring in more books.
            >
            >Bernice

            Mother of Emilynn (4) and Jonah (2 1/2)

            Independent Longaberger Consultant
            http://www.longaberger.com/adrienneroehrich
            4yourhome@...

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 7, 2004
              Hi all,

              Just wanted to mention that I've noticed a bit of a trend towards overquoting...so, this is just a general reminder :)

              K.

            • Beth

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Beth wrote:
                  << How can you "overquote" someone if you're replying to their post? Most
                  people don't have a spectacular memory and need a reminders of the
                  conversation.

                  I don't understand why this is such a big deal. >>

                  Yes, some quotes are necessary to follow the thread of the conversation, but
                  you don't need the whole thing. For example, in this message, I only quoted
                  what you wrote, and not Kandra's message. You can get the context from your
                  quote without Kandra's message. There's also usually Yahoo/Hotmail/free
                  email provider advertisements tacked on the end of people's messages that
                  can be cut.

                  Quoting may not be a big deal for people who get separate messages from the
                  list, but it becomes cumbersome and annoying for people getting digests. It
                  unnecessarily bloats the sizes of the digests, and for people who don't have
                  broadband and may pay by the byte for their email accesses, it gets
                  expensive.

                  So please, just a gentle reminder to read the post that you want to reply
                  to, and just quote the relevant bits.

                  Bernice

                  Take advantage of powerful junk e-mail filters built on patented Microsoft�
                  SmartScreen Technology.
                  first two months FREE*.
                • Kennet Gencks
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 7, 2004
                    At 12:51 PM 10/7/04, Beth wrote:
                    >How can you "overquote" someone if you're replying to their post? Most
                    >people don't have a spectacular memory and need a reminders of the
                    >conversation.
                    >
                    >I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

                    Back in the Old Days when the Internet was new, many people not in the US
                    were paying by volume for anything they downloaded...so it was considered
                    horrible form to put a lot of quoting in beyond what was needed to
                    comprehend what was being talked about.

                    I'm not sure if any countries still do that, billing for volume and bandwidth.

                    Now it is considered bad form to overquote because it is spammy, and
                    clutters up digests.

                    (Showing my age. I remember when 300bps was -leet-.)

                    Kennet

                  • Crystal Dolphin
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 8, 2004
                      Kennet

                      Yes there are countries who still pay:

                      Australia for bandwidth, especially if you are on ADSL, IDSN or cable. The UK to my knowledge is still on timed calls, so, the more
                      data you need to pull down, the more time you are connected.

                      Regards

                      Missy/Crystal Dolphin - an Australian

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 28, 2006
                        Hi all,

                        I've noticed some messages the last few days that are having alot of
                        overquoting. Please remember when you're replying to delete all the Yahoo
                        ads and also to only leave in around 4 lines or so of the message you're
                        replying to.

                        Thanks!

                        Kandra and BJ

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 14, 2007
                          Hi all,

                          If either myself or BJ has sent anyone an offlist message about overquoting
                          and we see that person continuing to do it, then you may be placed on
                          Moderated Status which means your
                          messages will have to be approved before being sent to the list.

                          I'm sorry, but both BJ and myself have asked the list to cut down on the
                          overquoting which didnt work so then we resorted to emailing each person
                          privately offlist which in the past has always worked...however I'm seeing
                          that it's not working.

                          I know we have many new members to the list and I'm assuming the other list
                          either had no rules or they weren't enforced. This list is different. We
                          *do* enforce the rules, which are few and rely mostly on good manners. If
                          you're receiving the list mail via digest form it's extremely annoying to
                          try to figure out where the "new" message is because you have to comb
                          through all the quoting, ads etc.

                          Yes, I'm feeling cranky. This list has been open 8 years and in the last
                          month I've just wanted to delete it because I don't feel we should have to
                          ride herd on y'all. The list is meant to be a fun place for everyone to talk
                          about their favorite authors/books, do some offtopic chat whatever. All's we
                          ask is that there's no flaming and no discussion of RL politics/religion
                          etc. and to please quote responsibly. I know many may think that is being
                          nitpicky, but as above...if you're receiving the digest it's very difficult
                          to tell where new messages begin. Also, in some countries email is charged
                          by the byte. So please...just try, ok? We're not going to put someone on
                          Moderated Status for one "slip up" but when we see it's still continuing
                          after an offlist message has been sent....then the ladle may head your way!
                          <g> (People who have been members of this list for a long time know what
                          that means) lol!

                          Thanks for your cooperation,

                          Kandra & BJ

                        • scarlet_lullaby13
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 14, 2007
                            <<<Kandra said:
                            If you're receiving the list mail via digest form it's extremely
                            annoying to try to figure out where the "new" message is because you
                            have to comb through all the quoting, ads etc.>>>>

                            I just read yesterdays digest, and I felt like all I did was read the
                            same four lines over and over again. :-s
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 19, 2007
                              <<I just read yesterdays digest, and I felt like all I did was read the
                              same four lines over and over again. :-s>>

                              I can imagine. I just sent out another batch of "reminders" and I'm tired of
                              doing it...sigh.

                              K.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 12, 2007
                                Hi all,

                                Again, please watch your quoting when replying to a message. One needs to
                                only quote 3-4 lines and please remove all Yahoo ads etc. Thanks

                                Kandra & BJ

                              • Elizabeth Schechter
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 12, 2007
                                  Oh, spit. That was me again. Sorry!

                                  --

                                  Elizabeth Schechter
                                  House Oakenhame
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 12, 2007
                                    <<Oh, spit. That was me again. Sorry!

                                    lol! Yep...well, one of three or four <smile!>

                                    K.
                                  • Dawn Charbonneau
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 13, 2007
                                      Hey Kandra,

                                      Sorry about that!!! In the last message I sent, I accidentally forgot to delete anything at all... :(

                                      -Dawn

                                      Again, please watch your quoting when replying to a message.
                                      .

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 19, 2008
                                        Hi all,

                                        Just a quick reminder to please quote only 3-5 lines of the message you're
                                        replying to and to please remove any Yahoo ads too :)

                                        Thanks!

                                        Kandra & BJ

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 14, 2008
                                          Ok, y'all knew this message was coming, right??

                                          I know you're all submitting some really beautiful names but pleeeease cut
                                          down on the overquoting.

                                          Thanks!

                                          Kandra & BJ