Re: [ShadowRealms] Does anyone here like to RP?

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 16 1:54 PM

      << Anne, what do you think of gaming not using characters already written
      about by you, but original ones created by gamers placed in a gameworld based
      on your books? >>

      Because of the interest expressed by fans of the BJT, my agent and I have
      discussed this a couple of times--i.e., giving one person permission to do a
      role-playing game in the Black Jewels world(s) but *not* using any of the
      characters. But we haven't gotten past that point to consider what would be
      included in the contract (and, yes, there would be a contract). And at this
      point, this isn't something I would consider until the new stories come out.

      Anne
    • Sabrina Akins-Becker
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 24 12:42 PM
        I RP - mostly the Palladium Books line of games (RIFTS, Fantasy, TMNT), but
        I've also played D&D ed1-3 (Love 3rd ed), and Steve Jackson's "In Nominae" -
        about Heaven & Hell, Angels & Devils. Not a bad game, but very poorly
        laid-out, rulebook-wise.

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 24 12:44 PM
          Same thing in Anne McCaffery's world of Pern - people RP the Weyrs, as well
          as additional branch-offs of the Weyrs; but I don't believe anyone is
          allowed to use "current" characters. I think they get around that by having
          the setting at a "time" other than the books.

          Sabrina

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 25 1:58 AM
            I've tried paladium.... All I remember from the game was playing a Promethian (the noseless wonders) and a running joke for about a month : "I hit you so hard I knocked the nose gene out of your family tree!" ... from this memory I take it my character didn't last long. We're playing Chuthulu now, sort of, when we can; and Hackmaster (which can be funny, depending on the DM).

            I've played on one Mud, because a friend of mine was running it. I wound up being the evil goddess of the newbies, because I played for 2 years and never had a character over level 9. I could navigate the lower levels in my sleep. The decision to stay lower level was deliberate; I hated the race to get "higher power than anyone else! Now!" .

            Other than that, my first DM turned into a nazi (literaly) and my second gaming group (we met in the high school latin classroom, in a building that used to be a church) knew some south american mercs who were getting up in years but were still willing to go for the right price. There have been days I wished I still knew those guys... My third gaming group spent a full 12 hours discussing "glitterboy armor" while trying to roll up characters. I fell asleep. I don't remember much after that, and we didn't play much. My fourth was an agoraphobic, a genius, my fiance and a guy who wound up getting thrown out of the army for smoking marajuana. The DM's cat had acid flashbacks and we had to escape their house one day by climbing off the porch balcony.

            My current group is... normal. Everyone holds down a regular, 8-4 day job; we all wear respectable clothing and have boring, middle class histories. I'm begining to get a bit freaked out.
            http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup