Re: [ShadowRealms] A new question for Anne

  • Ashredfern1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2002
      In a message dated 8/13/02 10:01:36 PM Central Daylight Time, Kaeleer@...
      writes:

      > 'The first question is: define "story." I call my novels stories when I talk
      >
      > about them because they're tales about a group of people in a certain time
      > and place. But in publishing terms, they're novels. So before I can answer
      > the second part, I have to know what category it fits in. Here's the 4
      > categories for fiction:
      >
      > short story: 7,499 or less
      > novelette: 7,500 - 17,499 words
      > novella: 17,500 - 39,999 words
      > novel: 40,000 or more'

      The first draft (I've cut and added in the second draft and will in the
      others too) was 92,504 (thank the gods for automatic word count), so it's
      would be a novel.
      Thank you for doing this, it is very much appreciated.
      Alyssa

    • talpianna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2002
        Romance novelist Stella Cameron conducts a writers workshop--free, but
        sign up so she'll have an idea of how many--every third Thursday (that's this
        week) at writerspace.com's chatroom. It's primarily for would-be romance
        writers, but there's a lot that is of general help to the would-be author.
        There are also writing tips based on these sessions posted on her website:

        <A HREF="http://www.stellacameron.com/writing.html">Stella's Writing Tips</A>

        Event: <A HREF="http://www.writerspace.com/chat/authors">Thu, Aug 15th
        9p ET Stella Cameron Workshop</A>

        It's held in the Author's Forum, the third chatroom at writerspace: <A HREF="http://www.writerspace.com/chat/">
        Writerspace Chatroom</A>

        tal

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
          In a message dated 02-08-13 23:31:50 EDT, Alyssa wrote:

          << The first draft (I've cut and added in the second draft and will in the
          others too) was 92,504 (thank the gods for automatic word count), so it's
          would be a novel. >>

          Congratulations. You have a bouncing baby novel. <g>

          OK. Writer reality. When we talk about writing a story, we're talking about
          writing, we're talking about the joy, the fun, and the hard work that goes
          into bringing a story to life. When we talk about publication, we're talking
          about the business of writing. Publishers are in the business of selling a
          product, and that product is your little darling. They do this to make money
          so that the people who work for them get paychecks (and, therefore, are
          around to do all the essential things needed to turn a manuscript into a
          finished book), so they can pay the rent and utility bills on their offices,
          and have a profit that keeps the company in business. Each publisher who
          publishes sf/fantasy has slightly different needs. Some like big, epic
          fantasies (aka doorstop books); others won't look at a manuscript over
          100,000 words.

          There is no easy way to do this. At least, none that I know of. You do as
          much research as you can to make the best choices, and then you wait and hope.

          That said, there are some things you can do. First, look at your own
          bookshelves, at the authors you like to read. Look at the signets on the
          cover or spine to see who published those books. Are the authors you read
          coming from one or two houses, or do they range all over the place? Think
          about your book. Is it similar to some of those books? That is, can you say
          it's epic fantasy, sword and sorcery, dark fantasy, contemporary fantasy,
          romantic fantasy? Having some idea of what your darling is will give you a
          clue about the publishers to research.

          All publishers these days have websites, usually listed on the covers of the
          books they publish. Most have an email address that isn't hard to find,
          assuming it's not right out there on the website. Ask for guidelines. All
          publishers have guidelines that define the kinds of books they're interested
          in. They'll tell you if you have to send a query letter before they'll look
          at a manuscript, or if you need to send an outline and sample chapters.
          They'll tell you the range of word count they consider. Ask for the
          guidelines. Writer's Digest used to put out a book each year called Novel &
          Short Story Writer's Market that listed publishers and their guidelines. But
          you may find the same info on the websites. Just takes time.

          Once you have a short list of your best choices based on the information you
          have, then it's time to consider your cover letter. :)

          Anne
        • Ashredfern1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 15, 2002
            Wow, thank you very much Anne, all this information will help me greatly.
            Thank you for you help and your time. =)
            Alyssa

            ' "That's rather degrading, do I really look like I would go and sleep in
            some worm eaten wooden box?" ' - Chase Frost on sleeping in coffins.

            'Hello, my name is Lucifer, the light bringer. I have no last name. I am one
            of God's angels, or, at least I use to be. Before He tore off my wings and
            cast me down to this abyss of fire. This is my story.'

            '"I personally find it quite humorous that religious leaders think that the
            cross wards off evil vampires. What do they think happened? As soon as their
            religion started there was spontaneous generation and vampires suddenly came
            into existence? I think not." ' -Chase Frost on crosses.