Re: [ShadowRealms] A question for Anne

  • christie jones
    Message 1 of 50 , Jun 9, 2002
      lololol! that they are

      " where am I going?, and wwhy am I in this handbasket!?"

      christie:
      http://www.funbug.com/fun/fb_entry?LSID=sXEWsAsJseYm=

      Message 50 of 50 , Apr 11, 2010
        Fanfic is very rocky ground for authors, especially with it being posted
        online the way it is. It can be fun to write. It can be a good way for a
        beginning writer to learn how to build a story since the world and characters
        are already supplied. I understand the appeal. However, from a legal
        standpoint, I can't give anyone permission to do anything with the worlds and
        characters I create unless there is a legal and binding contract that outlines
        the subrights being granted. So we take a middle ground. I post very
        clearly on my web site that I can't give permission for fanfic because of
        copyright and legal issues. Therefore, anyone who writes and posts fanfic has done
        so without my consent. That said, I pretend it doesn't exist. I stay away
        from sites that post it, and I immediately delete anything that people
        sometimes try to send me.

        So, no, I don't want any links for fanfic sites. However, if you come
        across sites that are pirating any of my books, please let me know at
        _anne@..._ (mailto:anne@...) . That is a bigger and more
        serious legal issue, and is something my publisher's legal department wants to
        know about.

        One caveat about fanfic. If you should ever see a site where the fanfic
        writer is asking for a donation or any other monetary compensation for a story
        that uses another person's work, let the author know because that is a
        problem.

        I'm glad you enjoyed Shalador's Lady. :)

        Anne

        In a message dated 4/11/2010 5:18:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        Talira@... writes:

        Hi Anne
        What is your policy regarding fan fiction using your characters and or
        worlds? I ask because I have seen fanfic on some sites using your character's
        names, world and other aspects. Should I send you the links to the sites
        where I have seen your worlds fanfic posted? What would you like for me to do?

        PS-I loved Shalador's Lady.. what a lovely book!!
        Nancy