Re: [ShadowRealms] *sneaking out of lurkdom*

    Message 1 of 22 , May 4, 2002
      In a message dated 02-05-04 05:32:07 EDT, tal wrote:

      << << Have you read Nora Roberts's Three Sisters Island series? The third
      one
      is out soon; it's in a batch I have preordered.>>

      Then Kandra wrote:
      << No, I haven't read it...or anything by her. I always thought she was
      a "bodice-ripper" type of author <g>. >>

      If by "bodice-ripper" you mean romance, yes, she's definitely a romance
      writer. However, she's done several series with a fantasy element in them
      (Three Sisters being one of them) as well as suspence, and the personality
      collisions of the characters are as much fun to read as the romance scenes.

      _Catch the Fire_ is coming out May 28--just in time for my vacation days. <g>

      Anne
    • talpianna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , May 4, 2002
        tal,

        <<Kandra, Rachel Gibson writes funny romantic suspense.>>

        Ah...so, more like romantic mysteries? How many books has
        she written??

        I've only just started reading her. I bought the three that sounded best:
        TRUE CONFESSIONS, TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY, and IT MUST BE LOVE (tough cop meets
        New Age dingbat). I'm going mainly by others' recommendations myself.

        > << Robinson's SLAYER OF GODS came out last year. I was getting piggy,
        > going
        > for
        > BAMM's free shipping on $99 order, and decided not to wait any longer.>>
        >
        > I completely understand :) Btw, did you know that B&N has free shipping
        > for buying at least 2 items?

        Yes, and I ordered some from them too; but BAMM usually has 20-35% discounts,
        with an extra 10% if you join their Millionaires Club (only $5 a year
        compared to B&N's $50!). You can get as much as 47% off a book on the
        bestseller list. They don't have as wide a selection as B&N or amazon,
        though--not as deep a backlist.

        > <<This brings up something annoying. I first got EATER OF SOULS from
        > Mystery
        > Guild, and after getting me hooked they haven't offered any more of them!>>
        >
        > That *is* annoying. I've also seen the SFBC do the same thing.

        Yes, the only thing more annoying is when they bring out an omnibus volume of
        books they've already sold most of to you in hardcover!

        > << Have you read Nora Roberts's Three Sisters Island series? The third
        > one
        > is out soon; it's in a batch I have preordered.>>
        >
        > No, I haven't read it...or anything by her. I always thought she was
        > a "bodice-ripper" type of author <g>.

        Nora Roberts isn't at all a "bodice-ripper" author. She writes either
        romance in a family-saga type of setting, often in Ireland, or romantic
        suspense. Try her "oxymoron" titles--TRUE BETRAYALS (horse racing
        background), CARNAL INNOCENCE (serial killer in small Southern town), or
        PUBLIC SECRETS (heroine is a rock star's daughter; her brother was killed in
        an abortive kidnapping when both were very small). She also writes as J.D.
        Robb the Eve Dallas futuristic mystery/romance--heroine is a hardboiled NYC
        cop; hero the richest man in the known universe.

        The Three Sisters books (DANCING ON THE AIR, HEAVEN AND EARTH, FACING
        THE FIRE) are set on a small coastal island off Mass., originally settled by
        three witches. Each heroine is the modern incarnation of one of them and
        must learn both to master her powers and to avoid the mistakes her ancestress
        made.

        tal

      • talpianna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , May 4, 2002
          In a message dated 5/4/2002 6:31:52 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
          Kaeleer@... writes:

          > _Catch the Fire_ is coming out May 28--just in time for my vacation days. <g>
          >

          > Anne

          It's FACE THE FIRE--better get it right; there probably IS a CATCH THE FIRE
          out there somewhere!

          tal

        • Anny
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 16, 2002
            Hi Lozz, welcome to the list :)!

            I know my welcome is three months too late, I've been busy with school and
            work.

            And I got a new puppy <big grins>. A golden retriever, she's 10 weeks old.
            Her full name's Jaenelle Marie Kaeleera, but we call her Jeanie for short
            (my mom had trouble pronouncing Jaenelle. She's Korean).

            If anyone is interested, here ar epictures from 3 weeks ago when we first
            brought her home :
            http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?UV=799067556596_43662919403&US=0&colli
            d=71565955403

            --

            Anny

            "I think it meant that everybody always loses everybody they love. But they
            need to love them anyway, because..."
            "Because?"
            "Because there isn't anything else."
            Nora, Nora

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 16, 2002
              > I'm about a quarter of the way into the new Mercedes Lackey, THE
              GATES
              > OF SLEEP. So far the heroine has an idyllic life, but I know that's about
              > change. It's one of a quartet set in our world (more or less) around
              1900,
              > in which the protagonists are elemental masters: THE FIRE ROSE (hero is
              Fire,
              > heroine is Air), THE SERPENT'S SHADOW (heroine is Earth, hero is Water);
              this
              > one (heroine is Water, hero hasn't shown up yet), and an announced PHOENIX
              > AND DRAGON (heroine presumably Fire, hero would have to be Air, I think).
              > Also, FIRE ROSE is a take on Beauty and the Beast (with a touch of
              > Bluebeard); THE SERPENT'S SHADOW on Snow White (the heroine has seven
              small
              > animal familiars that are much more than they seem); THE GATES OF SLEEP on
              > Sleeping Beauty (there is a birth curse so far). I like them even better
              > than her Valdemar books.

              Wow I didn't realize those books were related to each other. I've read Fire
              Rose, but havne't read the rest yet, I"ll have to put them on my TBR list :)