Re: [ShadowRealms] author's guild query

    Message 1 of 17 , May 4, 2002

      << PW just says "The Authors Guild" and wrangle has to do with Amazon
      allowing listings of used books on the same page with the new book. Seems
      authors think that they are not getting new book sales because of the used
      book market being so readily available (i.e., same page listings, etc.). The
      Guild is asking its members not to use their personal web pages to link to
      Amazon. And that's all I know. Big wrangle between Bezos and Paul Aiken. >>

      Yes, there is unhappiness in the writing community about the way Amazon
      handles the new book/used book listings. It's not that people object to used
      books being sold (after all, who among us hasn't picked up books at a used
      bookstore?), since books change hands in a lot of ways, and people can be
      more inclined to take a chance on someone they haven't read before if they
      don't have to pay much for the book, which can lead to them buying other
      books that author has written. OK, fine. But writers don't receive any
      pennies when a book is resold. So the feeling is that the way Amazon has
      things set up, it's like they're saying, "We can sell you this book at full
      price, but why would you want to buy it at full price when we've made it sooo
      easy for you to buy it used at a cheaper price?" Now, as far as I know,
      Amazon doesn't shell out any money for the used books it lists (unlike a new
      book, which it would have to buy from the publisher in order to sell to
      customers), but it does make a commission on any book sold through its pages.
      So it makes money regardless, while the writers, who have to pay the rent and
      utilities and buy groceries just like everyone else, only make money from the
      sale of a new book.

      The bottom line is that it seems Amazon wants as much support as it can get
      from writers, but doesn't want to reciprocate that support. (You'll notice
      that no one complains about how B&N online handles the used books they sell.)
      And yes, I've heard that many writers have dropped the Amazon link from their
      websites because of this.

      Anne
    • comanch2
      Message 2 of 17 , May 4, 2002
        Thanks for your take on this. I picked up the Jewel Trilogy from a used bookstore and now am buying everything of yours that I can find - new or used. I'll buy the new book when it hits the stands. So, certainly that used bookstore was beneficial in sending you a new reader. I sell on Amazon quite a bit, but I prefer to sell OP books rather than those that the author can still benefit from selling new. Just wondered where you stood on the issue.
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Message 3 of 17 , May 4, 2002
          In a message dated 02-05-04 09:38:17 EDT, k wrote:

          << I picked up the Jewel Trilogy from a used bookstore....So, certainly that
          used bookstore was beneficial in sending you a new reader. >>

          Yes, exactly. It's how a lot of people try an author that's new to them--or
          find the older books in a series that aren't easy to find new.

          Anne
        • comanch2
          Message 4 of 17 , May 4, 2002
            I think that people hang on to your books like mad. I have yet to see another one of your books at a used bookstore or library sale, etc. They are just not out there. I also discovered the Coachman Rat (forgot the author) at a used bookstore. That's a great book, IMHO.

            Message 5 of 17 , May 4, 2002
              I think that people hang on to your books like mad. I have yet to see another one of your books at a used bookstore or library sale, etc. They are just not out there.

              Did anyone besides me feel like that would be almost sacreligous or something? :)

              Angela
            • talpianna@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , May 5, 2002
                In a message dated 5/4/2002 8:22:08 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                yournitemare@... writes:

                > I think that people hang on to your books like mad. I have yet to see
                > another one of your books at a used bookstore or library sale, etc. They
                > are just not out there.
                >

                > Did anyone besides me feel like that would be almost sacreligous or
                > something? :)
                >
                > Angela

                Oh, I MIGHT be brought to part with mine--say, if SFBC brought out the
                Trilogy in an omnibus hardcover volume *nudge*nudge*wink*wink.*

                tal

              • William West
                Message 7 of 17 , May 5, 2002
                  Oh, I MIGHT be brought to part with mine--say, if SFBC brought out the
                  Trilogy in an omnibus hardcover volume *nudge*nudge*wink*wink.*

                  tal

                  Ok, that might tempt me. But, still ... even though the first book we bought of each (we have two copies of all but the Fae book) is rather ratty from excessive handling/reading, I don't think I could part with them. The second copies, on the other hand, could be parted with for a large, hardbound version of each or all put together
                  *hint*

                  Angela
                • Dubhradh
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 5, 2002
                    I found the first book of the BJT in a used bookstore
                    (can't imagine why someone'd be so stupid as to get
                    rid of it, but that's their loss) I didn't have enough
                    money to get it though and was going to put it away,
                    but mum bought it for me as a favor *grins*
                    Owe mum a big thanks ^_^

                    =====
                    "Sex isn't like candy, you don't hand it out to whiney little boys who won't shut the hell up.- Rachael Acks"
                    Keeley
                    CC and ACST Theatre Magique CO013
                    was 2001-05213 is US2001022368
                    Myu and Seimei's poor typist
                    Keeper of Katsu no Miko's Wufei
                    MnM (Mikagami no Miko) ICQ# 64509645 (feel free to contact me)

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 5, 2002
                      >I think that people hang on to your books like mad.
                      >I have yet to see
                      >another one of your books at a used bookstore or
                      >library sale, etc.
                      >They are just not out there.

                      >Did anyone besides me feel like that would be almost
                      >sacreligous or something? :)

                      >Angela

                      Yep, sacreligious sums up how I felt about that!
                      --Meg

                      http://health.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 6, 2002
                        In a message dated 02-05-05 11:37:44 EDT, Angela wrote:

                        << The second copies, on the other hand, could be parted with for a large,
                        hardbound version of each or all put together
                        *hint* >>

                        I don't have any say in that! <g>

                        Anne
                      • talpianna@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 6, 2002
                          In a message dated 5/6/2002 8:47:30 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                          Kaeleer@... writes:

                          > << The second copies, on the other hand, could be parted with for a large,
                          > hardbound version of each or all put together
                          > *hint* >>
                          >
                          > I don't have any say in that! <g>
                          >
                          > Anne

                          I do! Members of SFBC can e-mail the editors on site and lobby for
                          editions of books they want.

                          tal

                        • William West
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 7, 2002
                            On Mon, 6 May 2002 23:44:35 EDT Kaeleer@... wrote:

                            In a message dated 02-05-05 11:37:44 EDT, Angela wrote:

                            << The second copies, on the other hand, could be parted with for a large,
                            hardbound version of each or all put together
                            *hint* >>

                            I don't have any say in that! <g>

                            Anne

                            So who do we need to bribe, threaten, maime, etc?

                            Angela
                          • talpianna@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 7, 2002
                              In a message dated 5/7/2002 7:04:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
                              yournitemare@... writes:

                              > So who do we need to bribe, threaten, maime, etc?

                              If you belong to the SFBC, lobby them (letter to the editor).

                              tal

                            • Daisy_16_smile
                              Message 14 of 17 , May 10, 2002
                                lol... omg... yes.... I don't see how anyone can get rid of the
                                books... these are definately keepers.

                                --- In ShadowRealms@y..., William West<yournitemare@e...> wrote:

                                > I think that people hang on to your books like mad. I have yet to
                                see another one of your books at a used bookstore or library sale,
                                etc. They are just not out there.

                                > Did anyone besides me feel like that would be almost sacreligous or
                                something? :)

                                > Angela
                              • Surreal angeline
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 10, 2002
                                  Daisy_16_smile <daisy_16_smile@...> wrote:
                                  lol... omg... yes.... I don't see how anyone can get rid of the
                                  books... these are definately keepers.

                                  --- In ShadowRealms@y..., William West<yournitemare@e...> wrote:

                                  > I think that people hang on to your books like mad. I have yet to
                                  see another one of your books at a used bookstore or library sale,
                                  etc. They are just not out there.

                                  > Did anyone besides me feel like that would be almost sacreligous or
                                  something? :)

                                  > Angela

                                  Yes! It would be quite sacreligious indeed!! Don't mind me just a little hyper...Alex

                                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT