Re: [ShadowRealms] Cover Question

  • Brandi Bennett
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002
      speaking of cover art, janny wurts does her own and
      her husband don maitz is really good as well. i'm
      planning on purchasing a print of wurts' cover art for
      her warhost of vastmark novel from her site online and
      just managed to get a free screensaver/desktop from
      secondnature.com of her art. its really awesome that
      she does her own work because then you know how she
      sees the characters, rather than how someone else
      does.

      we now return to our regularly scheduled broadcast.

      Brandi
      (who is sick of reading hamlet and erving goffman's
      asylums for class)

      http://sports.yahoo.com
    • Kyran Jaye
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002
        > Thanks for the feedback Anne! If only we could get
        > the cover artist they've got for Lackey's Valdemar
        > novels (I think it's Jody Lynn Nye but my memory is
        > fuzzy these days) or *gasp* Micheal Whelan (Oh, I lust
        > after some of his prints) to do a rendering of all our
        > BJT faves! I know that McCaffery had a book out that
        > gave a brief biography of each of her Pern characters
        > along with a full-page picture of the artist's view of
        > each one, and that was a neat book, even if I *did*
        > disagree with some of the renderings.

        The Valdemar covers (and most of Misty Lackey's covers these days) are by
        Jody Lee. Jody Lynn Nye's good, too, but a COMPLETELY different style
        (sorry, Jody Lee's one of my faves.... ;) Michael Whelan's not doing as many
        covers anymore (he's been focusing on his fine art, and he's been ill
        recently). The People of Pern artist is Robin Wood, and she drew all those
        characters with direct input from Anne McCaffrey, so they were totally
        accurate... although people's own images will always differ, so who's to say
        who's right or wrong? Although the Dragonrider's Guide images are by Jody
        Lynn Nye and I don't know aobut their accuracy...

        Okay, it's now far too obvious I spend way too much time paying attention to
        book cover artists... ;) Yes, I *do* judge books by their covers otftimes (I
        have yet to read a book with a Michael Whelan or Jody Lee cover and NOT like
        it.)

        Since I've entered the discussion, I might note that I'm really fond of the
        cover for Daughter, bought the book by the cover (I liked the imagery better
        than the actual art) and I like the imagery/layouts for the other two, but
        I've never thought any of them look like Jaenelle, though Daughter is
        closest to my image of her.

        back to lurking....
        -Kyran
      • Dubhradh
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002
          > Brandi
          > (who is sick of reading hamlet and erving goffman's
          > asylums for class)

          I had the good fortune to start out with Moby Dick
          Classics (does anyone else remember these?) for my
          first reading of Hamlet, then I got a comic book and
          then I saw it in movie form (Mel Gibson... yummy:). By
          the time I went out and got the actual book in proper
          old english, it was a piece of cake:)

          Read Asylums as a personal project when I started role
          playing a Malkavian (crazy vampire). Didn't enjoy it
          but got some insite into my char.

          Good luck with both of 'em.

          =====
          There's just enough religion in this world to make people hate but not enough to make them love...
          Keeley
          CC and ACST Theatre Magique
          was 2001-05213 is US2001022368
          Myu and Seimei's poor typist
          Keeper of Katsu no Miko's Wufei
          MnM (Mikagami no Miko) ICQ# 64509645 (feel free to contact me)

          http://sports.yahoo.com
        • Brandi Bennett
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 19, 2002
            > I had the good fortune to start out with Moby Dick
            > Classics (does anyone else remember these?) for my
            > first reading of Hamlet, then I got a comic book and
            > then I saw it in movie form (Mel Gibson... yummy:).
            > By
            > the time I went out and got the actual book in
            > proper
            > old english, it was a piece of cake:)
            >
            > Read Asylums as a personal project when I started
            > role
            > playing a Malkavian (crazy vampire). Didn't enjoy it
            > but got some insite into my char.
            >
            > Good luck with both of 'em.

            i wish my first experience with hamlet had been so
            kind. or my first with goffman..ugh...its actually
            pretty easy to read though, so its not that
            bad...thanks!

            Brandi

            http://sports.yahoo.com
          • Michelle
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 21, 2002
              Kyran, thanks! I could not for the life of me
              remember Lackey's cover artist and I've even come
              really close to buying some of those prints (I love
              the covers of the LHM and Mage Winds Trilogies). I
              knew it started with Jody L..something.

              I didn't know Whelan was ill! My former roommate had
              a book of his artwork and I always enjoyed looking
              through it. That's another artist I wish I could
              afford to buy from.

              I must say, when buying a book I judge it by it's
              cover, the excerpt in the front, and the blurb on the
              back or jacket cover.

              Hey, does anyone know when Michelle West's next book
              is supposed to come out?

              > The Valdemar covers (and most of Misty Lackey's
              > covers these days) are by
              > Jody Lee. Jody Lynn Nye's good, too, but a
              > COMPLETELY different style
              > (sorry, Jody Lee's one of my faves.... ;) Michael
              > Whelan's not doing as many
              > covers anymore (he's been focusing on his fine art,
              > and he's been ill
              > recently). The People of Pern artist is Robin Wood,
              > and she drew all those
              > characters with direct input from Anne McCaffrey, so
              > they were totally
              > accurate... although people's own images will always
              > differ, so who's to say
              > who's right or wrong? Although the Dragonrider's
              > Guide images are by Jody
              > Lynn Nye and I don't know aobut their accuracy...
              >
              > Okay, it's now far too obvious I spend way too much
              > time paying attention to
              > book cover artists... ;) Yes, I *do* judge books by
              > their covers otftimes (I
              > have yet to read a book with a Michael Whelan or
              > Jody Lee cover and NOT like
              > it.)
              > back to lurking....
              > -Kyran

              =====
              SACC#1311- Keeper of John's Duct Tape
              FA#XXX- It's a Secret
              DHTO #5- Watcher of DRAyKE's Back
              StaRM #8011- Recorder of Dreams
              IGDET #11 Preparer of the Battle Trout
              CBOOL #757 Keeper of CB's Leather Pants

              http://sports.yahoo.com
            • Kyran Jaye
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 21, 2002
                You're welcome. And, actually, after doublechecking my facts, I've
                discovered Michael Whelan wasn't ill, he had a shoulder injury... which is
                still tough on the painting bit. Some of his prints aren't too bad,
                price-wise - I got one of his dragons for something like $20. Of course,
                that was unframed. The framing cost more than the print!!

                Michelle West's next book... hmmm, I forget... end of this year, beginning
                of next (here's to hoping... I don't think there's one this summer but I MAY
                be wrong). You should check out the MichelleWest YahooGroup... Michelle
                posts there periodically, and keeps us up to date... (Rather like Ann... ;)

                -Kyran

                > Kyran, thanks! I could not for the life of me
                > remember Lackey's cover artist and I've even come
                > really close to buying some of those prints (I love
                > the covers of the LHM and Mage Winds Trilogies). I
                > knew it started with Jody L..something.
                >
                > I didn't know Whelan was ill! My former roommate had
                > a book of his artwork and I always enjoyed looking
                > through it. That's another artist I wish I could
                > afford to buy from.
                >
                > I must say, when buying a book I judge it by it's
                > cover, the excerpt in the front, and the blurb on the
                > back or jacket cover.
                >
                > Hey, does anyone know when Michelle West's next book
                > is supposed to come out?
              • Anny
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 10, 2002
                  Ooooooo cover designer! That sounds like the perfect job for me, if Sign
                  language interpretation doesn't work out for me I'll have to look into it
                  <grins and drools at the thought ;)>. Does anyone know much about what you
                  need education wise? Would it just be a Bachelors in English or do you have
                  to have a Masters? Cause in addition to my Interpreting degree, I'm already
                  going for a Bachelors in English anyways...

                  --

                  Anny

                  "I kept everything inside and even though I tried, it all fell apart.
                  What it meant to me will eventually be a memory of a time when I tried so
                  hard.
                  And got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter."
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 10, 2002
                    In a message dated 3/10/2002 3:52:12 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
                    anny@... writes:

                    > Ooooooo cover designer! That sounds like the perfect job for me, if Sign
                    > language interpretation doesn't work out for me I'll have to look into it
                    > <grins and drools at the thought ;)>. Does anyone know much about what you
                    > need education wise

                    It's a graphic arts thing, so you'd probably have to study art and design.

                    tal

                  • Anny
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 1, 2002

                      > > Ooooooo cover designer! That sounds like the perfect job for me, if
                      Sign
                      > > language interpretation doesn't work out for me I'll have to look into
                      it
                      > > <grins and drools at the thought ;)>. Does anyone know much about what
                      you
                      > > need education wise
                      >
                      > It's a graphic arts thing, so you'd probably have to study art and design.
                      >
                      > tal

                      Ohhhhhhhh duh! ::slaps her forehead::. I should have realized that, what
                      with figuring out the aspects of balance between the art itself and the font
                      for the title and all those things. Hmmmm, while I love art, I'm not good
                      creating it unless I'm able to use a tool that creates it for me. For
                      example, a camera. I have a good eye for art and am able to take really
                      awesome pictures. But when it comes to drawing and such, I'm lucky if I can
                      draw a stick figure..