[ShadowRealms] For Kate Elliott fans

  • jaw@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 18, 2001
      Hey everyone,
      I know I haven't posted in a while. I started college this year and
      I haven't had as much time to do email as I used to. Today I had some
      free time and I happened to go on Kate Elliott's official website and
      saw that the prologue to the fifth book of the Crown of the Stars
      series has been posted. I know that there are other Kate Elliott
      fans on this list. She says on her website that the book should be
      publised February 2003. Here is the website:
      http://www.sff.net/people/Kate.Elliott/index.html
      Its on the News page.
      Just thought I'd let people know. Sorry if someone else has already
      posted this, I haven't been keeping up with the list as I wish to.
      Lisa
    • DreaRenthal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 19, 2001
        Finally! Another author I've been panting after for hte next book.
        The worst part was that I started like 2 days after Child of Flames came out.
        Le sigh, I made the same problem with Robert Jordan, and I dikdn't learn
        enough from it to not do it with Elliot :(

        - Jamie

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 21, 2001
          > fans on this list. She says on her website that the book should be
          > publised February 2003. Here is the website:
          > http://www.sff.net/people/Kate.Elliott/index.html
          > Its on the News page.

          Thanks, Lisa!! :) Soo...what's everyone been
          reading? After Pillars that is ;)

          HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all in the U.S.!

          Kandra
        • Dubhradh
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 21, 2001
            > Thanks, Lisa!! :) Soo...what's everyone been
            > reading? After Pillars that is ;)
            >
            > HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all in the U.S.!
            >
            > Kandra

            Ender's Game actually:) I finally got around to
            reading since it was in the box of stripped books I
            snagged at the mall. I have a feeling I'm going to be
            making a run to get the rest of the series after I get done....

            =====
            There's just enough religion in this world to make people hate but not enough to make them love...
            Keeley
            ACST Theatre Magique
            2001-05213
            Myu and Seimei's poor typist
            Keeper of Katsu no Miko's Wufei
            MnM (Mikagami no Miko) ICQ# 64509645 (feel free to contact me)

            http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 22, 2001
              > Ender's Game actually:) I finally got around to
              > reading since it was in the box of stripped books I
              > snagged at the mall. I have a feeling I'm going to be
              > making a run to get the rest of the series after I get done....

              Heh. I tried Ender's Game...couldn't get into it. Been quite
              awhile ago now though. I got the brand new Terry Pratchett
              illustrated book...has a short story about Cohen the Barbarian.
              Currently reading The Wayfarer's Redemption.

              K.
            • Angela West
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 23, 2001
                >> fans on this list. She says on her website that the book should be
                >> publised February 2003. Here is the website:
                >> http://www.sff.net/people/Kate.Elliott/index.html
                >> Its on the News page.
                >
                >Thanks, Lisa!! :) Soo...what's everyone been
                >reading? After Pillars that is ;)
                >
                >HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all in the U.S.!
                >
                >Kandra

                I finally broke down and started reading the Harry Potter books after
                taking my kids to see the movie. They're not bad, but certainly not up to
                Anne's level. Of course, very few people are at Anne's level ...

                Angela
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 24, 2001
                  > I finally broke down and started reading the Harry Potter books after
                  > taking my kids to see the movie. They're not bad, but certainly not up to
                  > Anne's level. Of course, very few people are at Anne's level ...

                  I read the first two, then was bored with them. I think the Potter
                  books are great in the respect that it's awakened kids to the
                  joys of reading. The people who claim the books are "evil"
                  due to the magic...well, I just don't get them at all.

                  K.
                • DreaRenthal@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 24, 2001
                    In a message dated 11/24/01 3:33:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
                    kandra@... writes:

                    > The people who claim the books are "evil"
                    > due to the magic...well, I just don't get them at all.

                    Yeah, I know. Neither do I. How come they're not attacking Tolkien,
                    Jordan or Martin? I know that at least Tolkien has some sort of popularity
                    with teenagers and stuff. It's only because the Potter books are interesting
                    the little kids that the religious fanatics are coming out of the woodworks.
                    ::shrugs:: That's my take on the whole situation.

                    - Jamie

                  • CentaurFilly
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 21, 2002
                      --- In ShadowRealms@y..., DreaRenthal@a... wrote:
                      > > The people who claim the books are "evil"
                      > > due to the magic...well, I just don't get them at all.
                      >
                      > Yeah, I know. Neither do I. How come they're not attacking
                      Tolkien,
                      > Jordan or Martin? I know that at least Tolkien has some sort of
                      popularity
                      > with teenagers and stuff. It's only because the Potter books are
                      interesting
                      > the little kids that the religious fanatics are coming out of the
                      woodworks.
                      > ::shrugs:: That's my take on the whole situation.
                      >
                      > - Jamie

                      Heya Jamie! ::waves::

                      Yeah, and I find it really ironic when they go about doing book
                      burnings and all. I mean all they're doing is giving a LOT more
                      money to the author LOL. But the thing I find really funny (I figure
                      they don't attack authors like Tolkien and Jordan and Martin cause
                      they are "adult" authors) is that CS Lewis is a children's fantasy
                      series. And it has quite a lot of magic and such in it... And yet
                      religious people don't attack it, in fact a lot of them consider it a
                      good influence because they think Aslan was a metaphor for Christ
                      etc. I just don't get it ::shrugs::

                      --

                      Anny

                      "I kept everything inside and even though I tried, it all fell apart.
                      What it meant to me will eventually be a memory of a time when I
                      tried so hard.
                      And got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter."
                    • Kyran Jaye
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 21, 2002
                        > Yeah, and I find it really ironic when they go about doing book
                        > burnings and all. I mean all they're doing is giving a LOT more
                        > money to the author LOL. But the thing I find really funny (I figure
                        > they don't attack authors like Tolkien and Jordan and Martin cause
                        > they are "adult" authors) is that CS Lewis is a children's fantasy
                        > series. And it has quite a lot of magic and such in it... And yet
                        > religious people don't attack it, in fact a lot of them consider it a
                        > good influence because they think Aslan was a metaphor for Christ
                        > etc. I just don't get it ::shrugs::

                        Well, I hate to break it to you, but Aslan *IS* a metaphor for Christ. Lewis
                        was a minister, and he DEFINITELY used his writing to preach his beliefs....
                        the entire Chronicles of Narnia are thinly veiled biblical allegory... which
                        is EXACTLY what he intended it to be.

                        Don't get me wrong, I *love* the Narnia books, and some of his other
                        writing... he was a phenomenal writer (The Screwtape Letters was a great
                        piece , IMHO) and I admire him for being true to his faith and all... but
                        on the other hand, I've read his Space trilogy, and it's just so blatantly
                        pro-Christian that it made me ill... I couldn't enjoy the books as story in
                        that series because I couldn't get past the preaching...

                        But he was also a colleague and *good* friend to Tolkien, and highly
                        encouraged him in the writing of LOTR... all else aside, I give him credit
                        for that (as opposed to those who burn books today, who can't get over the
                        idea of the subject matter to see a great work of literature and/or fiction
                        when they read it...)

                        okay, that's enough on that subject... heading back to my corner now... ;)

                        -Kyran
                      • talpianna@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 21, 2002
                          Kyran,

                          C.S. Lewis was not a minister, he was a professor of Medieval and
                          Renaissance literature at Oxford and subsequently Cambridge. He began giving
                          talks on the radio on Christianity from a layperson's point of view (MERE
                          CHRISTIANITY) and the popularity of these and THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS made him,
                          somewhat reluctantly), one of the century's most prominent Christian
                          apologists. The Narnia books are allegories, written with the intention of
                          making the Biblical stories more compelling by depicting them in a way other
                          than the overly familiar traditional versions.

                          tal
                        • Kyran Jaye
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 22, 2002
                            oopsie... I knew that, really I did...

                            It's been a LONG time since I've looked at biographical information... I
                            think I got him mixed up with one o'them OTHER English authors ... couldn't
                            tell you who, tho... :P

                            Pardon erronious information...

                            -Kyran

                            > C.S. Lewis was not a minister, he was a professor of Medieval and
                            > Renaissance literature at Oxford and subsequently Cambridge. He began
                            giving
                            > talks on the radio on Christianity from a layperson's point of view (MERE
                            > CHRISTIANITY) and the popularity of these and THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS made
                            him,
                            > somewhat reluctantly), one of the century's most prominent Christian
                            > apologists. The Narnia books are allegories, written with the intention
                            of
                            > making the Biblical stories more compelling by depicting them in a way
                            other
                            > than the overly familiar traditional versions.
                            >
                            > tal
                            >
                            > ShadowRealms, discussion of great fantasy!

                          • Kyran Jaye
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 22, 2002
                              well, considering how many brit authors I had to research in college, it
                              could be anybody (but I'm actually thinking it was probably Lewis Carroll or
                              someone from his era... ;)

                              -Kyran

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 22, 2002
                                George MacDonald was Victorian. He was a clergyman, and the author of such
                                classic fairy tales as THE PRINCESS AND CURDIE, AT THE BACK OF THE NORTH
                                WIND, and THE LOST PRINCESS. His fantasies for adults, PHANTASTES and
                                LILITH, profoundly influenced Lewis as a young man. I recommend all his
                                fantasies and fairy tales.

                                tal
                              • Anny
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 10 3:02 AM
                                  Oh I wasn't debating whether CS Lewis used Aslan as a metaphor for Christ or
                                  not, I was just saying that Christians consider the Narnia series "good",
                                  but it also has magic and wizards and such. I'm not explaining myself very
                                  eloquently though ;P. I just don't see how they can praise one series that
                                  has magic and condemn another that also has magic ::shrug::.

                                  Oh and as to Tolkien and Lewis being friends, I was just reading that oddly
                                  enough! I'm doing my semester project for my Art and Craft of Writing class
                                  on Tolkien :). He was the only person I could think of that I wouldn't go
                                  nuts having to spend a semester on who I had enough resources for (I wanted
                                  to do Anne for my project, but you have to have 20 sources on the person
                                  ::Eep::.)

                                  --

                                • talpianna@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 10 3:28 PM
                                    Anny--

                                    You are expecting logic, consistency, and clear thinking about fiction
                                    from funnymentalists? Bite your tongue!

                                    Two excellent sources on Lewis, if you can find them (OOP both, I
                                    think) are THE INKLINGS by Humphrey Carpenter and LORD OF THE ELVES AND
                                    ELDILS by Richard Purtill. Unfortunately, most of the secondary sources focus
                                    on the religious element from a fundamentalist viewpoint. Unless things have
                                    changed in in the nearly half century (gasp!) since I did a senior thesis on
                                    Lewis's allegory.

                                    Have you come across THE PILGRIM'S REGRESS and THE GREAT DIVORCE, two
                                    non-series allegories by Lewis?

                                    tal

                                    tal
                                  • Anny
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 1, 2002
                                      Oh yes, you're right, what was I thinking! ;D. Hmmmm Humphrey Carpenter
                                      must really enjoy doing biographies! I have two books which were done by
                                      him that I've been using for my Multigenre Portfolio on Tolkien. I've only
                                      had time to skim the books so far and get a feel for them, but he seems
                                      pretty adept, at least in the case of talking about Tolkien.

                                      I haven't read either of those, but I have seen THE GREAT DIVORCE on the
                                      shelves of the bookstore I work at. I was kind of curious to read some of
                                      his non-fiction books. We shelve them in the philosophy section at work, so
                                      I was curious to get a feel for his thoughts

                                      --

                                      Anny

                                      "I knew that no matter how bad you feel, or what horrible thing happens to
                                      you, that the world just keeps on going. That the rest of the world doesn't
                                      even realize that the monsters are eating your heart."
                                      Narcissus in Chains