Re: [ShadowRealms] fae books

  • wyrmslyph
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
      >The Elvenbane_ and _The
      >Elvenblood_.

      These are great books. :)
      -Becka
    • kathleen_luu@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
        > P.S. has anyone ever heard of the authors Connie
        > Willis or Sheri S. Tepper?

        I haven't heard of Connie Willis but I have read one book by Sheri
        Tepper and it's pretty good. I forgot the title though.
        If you like space opera books, you might want to try the Liaden
        Series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. They're great, at least to me
        anyways. Currently I don't remember any fey books but if I do, I'll
        tell you. Embiid.net have Cold Iron by Melissa Michaels (sp?) but
        it's an ebook.

        Kathleen
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
          In a message dated 01-09-08 19:41:03 EDT, Renee wrote:

          << I love urban fantasy so I'll have to give him a try,
          but from what I've heard of him, he's written a lot
          and I tend to avoid authors who do that. >>

          Ah, don't avoid Charles de Lint because of the number of books he has out.
          Try MOONHEART, THE LITTLE COUNTRY, DREAMS UNDERFOOT (short story collection).
          All have that de Lint touch, and all of them are different. And, yes, he's
          one of my favorite authors. :)

          Anne
        • Domino Fallout 7
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
            On Sat, 8 Sep 2001 22:14:20
            Kaeleer wrote:

            >Ah, don't avoid Charles de Lint because of the number of books he has out.
            >Try MOONHEART, THE LITTLE COUNTRY, DREAMS UNDERFOOT (short story collection).
            >All have that de Lint touch, and all of them are different. And, yes, he's
            >one of my favorite authors. :)
            >
            >Anne
            Hear hear! Charles has been writing for a long time, plus he isn't a guaranteed seller like some larger authors. His editors appareantly still will say if material needs to be cut or not. I think that's the problem with authors like McCaffrey, Lackey, Piers Anthony, etc. They will automatically sell, and are so big, their editors may be afraid to add constructive criticism.
            (note: his next book, The Onion Girl, will be out next month. wahoo!)

            I should also point out there are very few "big" authors I still enjoy. The only one I can think of is Laurell K. Hamilton. Oh, and Clive Barker. mreow.

            Soli
            ---
            I shall become invisible and do outrageous things!

            The next Opium is: September 29

            "ya goddamned hippie!" -cath grey

            Get 250 color business cards for FREE!
          • Kyran Jaye
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
              > tell you. Embiid.net have Cold Iron by Melissa Michaels (sp?) but
              > it's an ebook.

              Cold Iron has been mass-published (i.e., standard bookstores may actually
              have it) but Melisa's not exactly at the same level as some of the "big
              names" so it's hard to find. Haven't read Sister to the Rain but have
              actually seen it at Borders once in a while. Should be available through
              amazon, tho.

              I had the luck of reading a pre-print version of Cold Iron (she originally
              published it as a sort of e-book back in the early nineties before e-books
              "really" existed) and because of that when I finally read the published
              version (which came out in '97?) I found it kind of odd because the plot had
              changed a bit - but I'd recommend it anyway :)

              If you're looking for it, the "official" author name is Melisa C. Michaels.
              (one "s")

              -Kyran