Re: [ShadowRealms] fae books

  • wyrmslyph
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
      books

      > Hello,
      > I've never posted on here before so *waves hand* hi
      > to everyone out there *smiles*

      Hi there!!

      >> air* But what now? Please, if anyone else has read any
      > great fae books lately, (or even just other great
      > books not on the list (shapeshifters are another fav
      > of mine)) I'd really like to know of them! Thanks!
      > *grins*
      >
      > *Renee*
      _
      Well, I liked the following.... Maybe you will as well.

      The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt
      Night of the Wolf by Alice Borchardt
      Wolf King by Alice Borchardt
      Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist
      Blood & Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klaus

      The are others out there...

      This last one I'll mention is just a great read (4 books in the series) and
      is lots of fun, the princess Cimmorene is not like your average run of the
      mill princess. They are written by Patricia Wrede

      Dealing with Dragons
      Searching for Dragons
      Calling on Dragons
      Talking to Dragons

      Enjoy,
      Becka

    • wyrmslyph
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
        >The Elvenbane_ and _The
        >Elvenblood_.

        These are great books. :)
        -Becka
      • kathleen_luu@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
          > P.S. has anyone ever heard of the authors Connie
          > Willis or Sheri S. Tepper?

          I haven't heard of Connie Willis but I have read one book by Sheri
          Tepper and it's pretty good. I forgot the title though.
          If you like space opera books, you might want to try the Liaden
          Series by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. They're great, at least to me
          anyways. Currently I don't remember any fey books but if I do, I'll
          tell you. Embiid.net have Cold Iron by Melissa Michaels (sp?) but
          it's an ebook.

          Kathleen
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
            In a message dated 01-09-08 19:41:03 EDT, Renee wrote:

            << I love urban fantasy so I'll have to give him a try,
            but from what I've heard of him, he's written a lot
            and I tend to avoid authors who do that. >>

            Ah, don't avoid Charles de Lint because of the number of books he has out.
            Try MOONHEART, THE LITTLE COUNTRY, DREAMS UNDERFOOT (short story collection).
            All have that de Lint touch, and all of them are different. And, yes, he's
            one of my favorite authors. :)

            Anne
          • Domino Fallout 7
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 8, 2001
              On Sat, 8 Sep 2001 22:14:20
              Kaeleer wrote:

              >Ah, don't avoid Charles de Lint because of the number of books he has out.
              >Try MOONHEART, THE LITTLE COUNTRY, DREAMS UNDERFOOT (short story collection).
              >All have that de Lint touch, and all of them are different. And, yes, he's
              >one of my favorite authors. :)
              >
              >Anne
              Hear hear! Charles has been writing for a long time, plus he isn't a guaranteed seller like some larger authors. His editors appareantly still will say if material needs to be cut or not. I think that's the problem with authors like McCaffrey, Lackey, Piers Anthony, etc. They will automatically sell, and are so big, their editors may be afraid to add constructive criticism.
              (note: his next book, The Onion Girl, will be out next month. wahoo!)

              I should also point out there are very few "big" authors I still enjoy. The only one I can think of is Laurell K. Hamilton. Oh, and Clive Barker. mreow.

              Soli
              ---
              I shall become invisible and do outrageous things!

              The next Opium is: September 29

              "ya goddamned hippie!" -cath grey

              Get 250 color business cards for FREE!
            • Kyran Jaye
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 10, 2001
                > tell you. Embiid.net have Cold Iron by Melissa Michaels (sp?) but
                > it's an ebook.

                Cold Iron has been mass-published (i.e., standard bookstores may actually
                have it) but Melisa's not exactly at the same level as some of the "big
                names" so it's hard to find. Haven't read Sister to the Rain but have
                actually seen it at Borders once in a while. Should be available through
                amazon, tho.

                I had the luck of reading a pre-print version of Cold Iron (she originally
                published it as a sort of e-book back in the early nineties before e-books
                "really" existed) and because of that when I finally read the published
                version (which came out in '97?) I found it kind of odd because the plot had
                changed a bit - but I'd recommend it anyway :)

                If you're looking for it, the "official" author name is Melisa C. Michaels.
                (one "s")

                -Kyran