Somebody needs to read this book!!!!!

  • Tracey
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 7, 2001
      Kandra wrote:

      >I just finished Kushiel's Dart. It's a well-written alternate" history"
      type of thing. One will easily recognize characters from history :) Lots to
      do with sex, although not in a graphic way.

      Oh, goodie! Right now, I'm reading Jilly Cooper. Sex and horses, but I
      kinda miss my dragons and stuff....

      Tracey
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 7, 2001
        > Oh, goodie! Right now, I'm reading Jilly Cooper. Sex and horses, but I
        > kinda miss my dragons and stuff....

        Heh. No dragons in Kushiel's Dart. There's only one tiiiiny leetle
        bit where someone has "powers" :)

        K.
      • Tracey
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 7, 2001
          -->Heh. No dragons in Kushiel's Dart. There's only one tiiiiny leetle bit
          where someone has "powers" :)

          Oooooh....okay. Still, I'm stuck for reading material, so I'll give it a
          bash.

          Gotta say, I HATED Jordan. I have tried to get into his series about ten
          times this year, and wind up flinging the book against the wall every time.

          Tracey
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 7, 2001
            > Oooooh....okay. Still, I'm stuck for reading material, so I'll give it a
            > bash.

            Do. It really is more of an alternate history than anything else. But,
            interesting characters.

            > Gotta say, I HATED Jordan. I have tried to get into his series about ten
            > times this year, and wind up flinging the book against the wall every
            time.

            I can't stand him either. I don't remember...did you ever read George R.R.
            Martin?

            K.
          • Tracey
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 7, 2001
              >Do. It really is more of an alternate history than anything else. But,
              interesting characters.

              Who wrote it again?

              >I don't remember...did you ever read George R.R. Martin?

              Er...no. Tell me more.

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 7, 2001
                > Who wrote it again?

                Jacqueline Carey. website is jacquelinecarey.com

                > >I don't remember...did you ever read George R.R. Martin?
                > Er...no. Tell me more.

                Oh my. Run, don't walk....get the first three books of his
                series, A Song of Fire and Ice. First book is A Game of
                Thrones.

                K.
              • Tracey
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 7, 2001
                  Thanks, Kandra, will check out the books.

                • KirstenKoehne@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 8, 2001
                    --- In ShadowRealms@y..., "Kandra" <kandra@s...> wrote:
                    > Oh my. Run, don't walk....get the first three books of his
                    > series, A Song of Fire and Ice. First book is A Game of
                    > Thrones.

                    I read the first two books and was so happy when finally book 3 was
                    published. I started to read it and then - I stopped at page 165 and
                    put it away. Has anyone finished it? I though Martin to be a really
                    great read, but somehow I got so depressed readin "A Storm of Swords"
                    that I couldn't continue. It's about one of the darkest series I've
                    every read. Does anyone feel the same?
                    I don't want to spoil it for someone who hasn't read it yet, but
                    somehow this book turns out the worst of human beings, reading it I
                    sometimes thought there wouldn't be anything good or bright in the
                    world. For me it will always be the darkest portray of the Middle
                    Ages. It's great and very fascinating to read though! But don't read
                    it, if you feel a bit depressed anyway...

                    Kirsten
                  • Linda Antonsson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 8, 2001
                      KirstenKoehne@... wrote:

                      > --- In ShadowRealms@y..., "Kandra" <kandra@s...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>Oh my. Run, don't walk....get the first three books of his
                      >>series, A Song of Fire and Ice. First book is A Game of
                      >>Thrones.
                      >>

                      > I read the first two books and was so happy when finally book 3 was
                      > published. I started to read it and then - I stopped at page 165 and
                      > put it away. Has anyone finished it? I though Martin to be a really
                      > great read, but somehow I got so depressed readin "A Storm of Swords"
                      > that I couldn't continue. It's about one of the darkest series I've
                      > every read. Does anyone feel the same?

                      A lot of people like it just because of the dark and gritty world, but
                      although I am a big fan, I have to admit it can sometimes be too much
                      for me, and I've essentially finished A Storm of Swords over my fiance's
                      shoulders, picking up the important stuff.

                      I don't really like not knowing at least with some certainty that
                      certain characters will survive; while I don't want the plot known in
                      advance, the level of insecurity does means I get a little too cautious
                      about getting as attached to the characters as I usually end up being.

                      In some ways, my favourite parts of the story are the past events slowly
                      unfolding, because there I don't have to worry about what happens to anyone.

                      Linda

                      --
                      http://www.westeros.org/ -- The 'A Song of Ice and Fire' Domain
                      **********
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 8, 2001
                        > I just finished Kushiel's Dart. It's a well-written alternate"
                        > history" type of thing. One will easily recognize characters
                        > from history :) Lots to do with sex, although not in a
                        > graphic way.
                        >
                        > Kandra

                        Hmm, this message seems to have declined to show up in my mailbox, how
                        lucky the thread caught my attention a few messages later on. I've
                        been looking lustfully at Kushiel's Dart for a few weeks now,
                        actually, and it definitely sounds like its something I should go and
                        buy sooner rather than later. Sigh, just wish hardcovers weren't so
                        expensive here -- even ordering over the Net doesn't pay off right now
                        because both pound and dollar is so strong against the swedish crown.

                        But it sounds too good to wait on much longer. :)

                        Linda
                      • Sayasha Trizu
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 8, 2001
                          hey, i know i have kinda been lurking for a while, i was just enjoying
                          reading all your conversations about books, i am reading melanie rawn's
                          exiles: ruins of ambrai (again...heh heh) i really have a thing for that
                          book, so those of you who haven't read it definitely should, i absolutely
                          love it almost as much as i love BJT, so...yeah, i just though i would put
                          my 2 cents in...

                          ~The Grace One~

                          la dee dah dum...the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity...or is the
                          voices in my head, or am i just a voice in one of my voices heads?
                          or...wait...now i am confusing myself...i had better stop

                          This Months Quote:
                          BEEF! (for those of you who know, that should be funny, or aggravatingly
                          annoying by now)

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 8, 2001
                            > great read, but somehow I got so depressed readin "A Storm of Swords"
                            > that I couldn't continue. It's about one of the darkest series I've
                            > every read. Does anyone feel the same?

                            I agree it's dark in the respect that major characters are killed
                            off...alot. Others take their place ;) I think it's very gritty
                            and he's trying to make it "realistic" as to the times. People
                            DO get killed and many times there are NO happy endings...
                            which he reflects.

                            > world. For me it will always be the darkest portray of the Middle
                            > Ages. It's great and very fascinating to read though! But don't read
                            > it, if you feel a bit depressed anyway...

                            lol! :)

                            K.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 8, 2001
                              > buy sooner rather than later. Sigh, just wish hardcovers weren't so
                              > expensive here -- even ordering over the Net doesn't pay off right now
                              > because both pound and dollar is so strong against the swedish crown.

                              Aargh. I know what you mean, Linda. Sometimes I order
                              books from amazon.uk and ouchie!! However, ordering
                              books from Australia is good...for me anyway as their
                              dollar is about half of ours.

                              > But it sounds too good to wait on much longer. :)

                              It's one of those books that are difficult to describe.
                              The characters are well-written...and, its obvious
                              from the ending that there'll be others. (That's the
                              only problem I had with it...ending was a little
                              contrived IMHO). There *is* lots of sex, but it's
                              matter-of-fact and most of the time, from a distance.
                              (i.e. describes things that already happened, hints
                              at others etc.)

                              Kandra
                            • Bernice .
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 9, 2001
                                Linda wrote:
                                I've been looking lustfully at Kushiel's Dart for a few weeks now,
                                actually, and it definitely sounds like its something I should go and
                                buy sooner rather than later. Sigh, just wish hardcovers weren't so
                                expensive here -- even ordering over the Net doesn't pay off right now
                                because both pound and dollar is so strong against the swedish crown.

                                you know, the same thing happened to me :) i happened to go into Chapters a
                                couple weeks ago for the first time in ages and i saw Kushiel's Dart. looks
                                interesting, hopefully i'll get it soon from the library :) ah, the library
                                is a lifesaver

                                Bernice

                              • Sara Mandal-Joy
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 18, 2001
                                  The author of the following is a Bay Area writer, Tamin Ansary. She
                                  offers some very profound "food for thought," I think. Please pass it
                                  along if you
                                  agree.

                                  Dear Friends,

                                  I've been hearing a lot of talk about "bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone
                                  Age." Ronn Owens, on KGO Talk Radio today, allowed that this would mean
                                  killing innocent people, people who had nothing to do with this atrocity,
                                  but "we're at war, we have to accept collateral damage. What else can we
                                  do?" Minutes later I heard some TV pundit discussing whether we "have the
                                  belly to do what must be done."

                                  And I thought about the issues being raised especially hard because I am
                                  from Afghanistan, and even though I've lived here for 35 years I've never
                                  lost track of what's going on there. So I want to tell anyone who will
                                  listen how it all looks from where I'm standing. I speak as one who hates
                                  the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden. There is no doubt in my mind that these
                                  people were responsible for the atrocity in New York. I agree that something
                                  must be done about those monsters.

                                  But the Taliban and Ben Laden are not Afghanistan. They're not even the
                                  government of Afghanistan. The Taliban are a cult of ignorant psychotics who
                                  took over Afghanistan in 1997. Bin Laden is a political criminal with a
                                  plan. When you think Taliban, think Nazis. When you think Bin Laden, think
                                  Hitler. And when you think "the people of Afghanistan" think "the Jews in
                                  the concentration camps."

                                  It's not only that the Afghan people had nothing to do with this atrocity.
                                  They were the first victims of the perpetrators. They would exult if someone
                                  would come in there, take out the Taliban and clear out the rats nest of
                                  international thugs holed up in their country.

                                  Some say, why don't the Afghans rise up and overthrow the Taliban? The
                                  answer is, they're starved, exhausted, hurt, incapacitated, suffering. A few
                                  years ago, the United Nations estimated that there are 500,000 disabled
                                  orphans in Afghanistan--a country with no economy, no food.

                                  There are millions of widows. And the Taliban has been burying these widows
                                  alive in mass graves. The soil is littered with land mines, the farms were
                                  all destroyed by the Soviets. These are a few of the reasons why the Afghan
                                  people have not overthrown the Taliban.

                                  We come now to the question of bombing Afghanistan back to the Stone Age.
                                  Trouble is, that's been done. The Soviets took care of it already. Make the
                                  Afghans suffer? They're already suffering. Level their houses? Done. Turn
                                  their schools into piles of rubble? Done. Eradicate their hospitals? Done.
                                  Destroy their infrastructure? Cut them off from medicine and health care?
                                  Too late. Someone already did all that.

                                  New bombs would only stir the rubble of earlier bombs. Would they at least
                                  get the Taliban? Not likely. In today's Afghanistan, only the Taliban eat,
                                  only they have the means to move around. They'd slip away and hide. Maybe
                                  the bombs would get some of those disabled orphans, they don't move too
                                  fast, they don't even have wheelchairs. But flying over Kabul and dropping
                                  bombs wouldn't really be a strike against the criminals who did this
                                  horrific thing. Actually it would only be making common cause with the
                                  Taliban--by raping once again the people they've been raping all this time.

                                  So what else is there? What can be done, then? Let me now speak with true
                                  fear and trembling. The only way to get Bin Laden is to go in there with
                                  ground troops. When
                                  people speak of "having the belly to do what needs to be done" they're
                                  thinking in terms of having the belly to kill as many as needed. Having the
                                  belly to overcome any moral qualms about killing innocent people. Let's pull
                                  our heads out of the sand. What's actually on the table is Americans dying.
                                  And not just because some Americans would die fighting their way through
                                  Afghanistan to Bin Laden's hideout.

                                  It's much bigger than that folks. Because to get any troops to Afghanistan,
                                  we'd have to go through Pakistan. Would they let us? Not likely. The
                                  conquest of Pakistan would have to be first. Will other Muslim nations just
                                  stand by? You see where I'm going. We're flirting with a world war between
                                  Islam and the West. And guess what: that's Bin Laden's program. That's
                                  exactly what he wants. That's why he did this. Read his speeches and
                                  statements. It's all right there. He really believes Islam would beat the
                                  west. It might seem ridiculous, but he figures if he can polarize the world
                                  into Islam and the West, he's got a billion soldiers. If the west wreaks a
                                  holocaust in those lands, that's a billion people with nothing left to lose,
                                  that's even better from Bin Laden's point of view.

                                  He's probably wrong, in the end the west would win, whatever that would
                                  mean, but the war would last for years and millions would die, not just
                                  theirs but ours. Who has the belly for that? Bin Laden does. Anyone else?

                                  Tamim A
                                • Angela West
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 18, 2001
                                    Who has the belly for that? Bin Laden does. Anyone else?

                                    >Tamim A

                                    Me. If that is what it takes to keep not only America, but the rest of the
                                    world from suffering the same agony we did on September 11, 2001, then we
                                    must do so. Millions died in the second World War, but it was something
                                    that had to be done to protect not only the Jewish people, but the entire
                                    world from a twisted individual willing to sacrifice anyone and anything to
                                    further his agenda. Once again we stand at the edge of an abyss. What the
                                    question should be is not what we are going to do, rather how can we do
                                    what needs to be done with the minimum amount of damage to the innocents of
                                    the world. Since bin Laden and the Taliban have been committing these
                                    attrocities, the citizens of Afghanistan apparently have nothing to lose
                                    but their tormentors, their hunger, and their chains.

                                    Angela
                                  • Antoinette
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 21, 2001
                                      --- Angela West <yournitemare@...> wrote:
                                      > Who has the belly for that? Bin Laden does. Anyone
                                      > else?
                                      > >
                                      > >Tamim A
                                      > >
                                      > Me. If that is what it takes to keep not only
                                      > America, but the rest of the
                                      > world from suffering the same agony we did on
                                      > September 11, 2001, then we
                                      > must do so. Millions died in the second World War,
                                      > but it was something
                                      > that had to be done to protect not only the Jewish
                                      > people, but the entire
                                      > world from a twisted individual willing to sacrifice
                                      > anyone and anything to
                                      > further his agenda. Once again we stand at the edge
                                      > of an abyss. What the
                                      > question should be is not what we are going to do,
                                      > rather how can we do
                                      > what needs to be done with the minimum amount of
                                      > damage to the innocents of
                                      > the world. Since bin Laden and the Taliban have
                                      > been committing these
                                      > attrocities, the citizens of Afghanistan apparently
                                      > have nothing to lose
                                      > but their tormentors, their hunger, and their
                                      > chains.
                                      >
                                      > Angela

                                      Very well said

                                      Antoinette

                                    • centaurfilly
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 22, 2001
                                        > I just finished Kushiel's Dart. It's a well-written alternate"
                                        > history" type of thing. One will easily recognize characters
                                        > from history :) Lots to do with sex, although not in a
                                        > graphic way.
                                        >
                                        > Kandra

                                        That was such an excellent novel!!! I really enjoyed reading it <g>. Just
                                        out of curiosity hehe what chars from history was similar to the book chars?
                                        I'm afraid I don't know my history well and therefore didn't recognize
                                        people ::hangs head in shame::. I tend not to remember people unless there
                                        was something odd about them, for example Rasputin and his extremely odd
                                        death

                                        --
                                        Anny

                                        Giles: There's an... invisible girl terrorizing the school.
                                        Angel: That's not really my area of expertise.
                                        Giles: Nor mine, I'm afraid. Uh, it's fascinating, though. By all accounts
                                        it's a, a... a wonderful power to possess.
                                        Angel: Oh, I don't know. Looking in the mirror everyday and seeing nothing
                                        there. It's an overrated pleasure.
                                      • Amy Harlib
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 23, 2001
                                          I loved 'Kushiel's Dart' too!
                                          Please read my review of the book AND an e-mail interview I did with author
                                          Jacqueline Carey (what a privilege it was too communicate with her directly)
                                          where I have a monthly review column: www.thetroll.net
                                          Thanks!
                                          Cheers!
                                          Amy (review of 'Pillars' coming soon!)

                                          > I just finished Kushiel's Dart. It's a well-written alternate"
                                          > history" type of thing. One will easily recognize characters
                                          > from history :) Lots to do with sex, although not in a
                                          > graphic way.
                                          >
                                          > Kandra

                                          That was such an excellent novel!!! I really enjoyed reading it <g>. Just
                                          out of curiosity hehe what chars from history was similar to the book chars?
                                          I'm afraid I don't know my history well and therefore didn't recognize
                                          people ::hangs head in shame::. I tend not to remember people unless there
                                          was something odd about them, for example Rasputin and his extremely odd
                                          death

                                          --
                                          Anny
                                        • CentaurFilly
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 21, 2002
                                            Perhaps I shouldn't look for something MONTHS after it's posted ;P,
                                            but I can't find the interview or your review and I'm really
                                            interested. Is it still up? Help! :P

                                            --

                                            Anny

                                            "I kept everything inside and even though I tried, it all fell apart.
                                            What it meant to me will eventually be a memory of a time when I
                                            tried so hard.
                                            And got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter."