Re: authors

  • KirstenKoehne@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 14, 2001
      --- In ShadowRealms@y..., "Kandra" <kandra@s...> wrote:
      > > Then you are on the perfect list to find more. All of us
      listmembers
      > > should compile a list of writers we like and post them somewhere
      > > where newbies to the ShadowRealms can find them. One of our
      biggest

      > That's been suggested before and someone did offer to compile
      > such a list but....that was many months ago. If you'd like
      > to start one, I can post it in the Files section...and others
      > can add to it etc.
      >
      > K.

      I'd love to have a list somewhere where one can add one's favourite
      novels! But - sorry for sounding stupid - where would I find
      the "files section"? I'd love to put down my all-time favourites!
      By the way, I've almost finished reading the Black Jewels Triology
      for the second time! I can't really describe HOW much I enjoyed
      reading it for the second time. There are so many things I discovered
      during that second read, it's truely amazing.
      It won't be the last time I read those books!
      I was only a bit surprised looking up the poll where one could vote
      for one's favourite character: Lucivar hardly didn't get any votes
      and he's my big favourite from the start!!

      Kirsten
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 14, 2001
        Kirsten,

        > I'd love to have a list somewhere where one can add one's favourite
        > novels! But - sorry for sounding stupid - where would I find
        > the "files section"? I'd love to put down my all-time favourites!

        Ok, I had to go over to Yahoo Groups and configure
        the files section. *Only* Anne and I can upload files to it.
        Any member can download from it. Limiting access to who can
        upload limits anyone from uploading a virus infected file.
        Yahoo has a cool feature called a Database where one can put stuff in.
        I added a table called Frequently Asked Questions that anyone
        can add to. When you sign in to Yahoo Groups, it'll show the
        groups you belong to. Click on ShadowRealms. "Files" is about
        half way down on the left side, under Chat.

        K.
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 18, 2001
          In a message dated 01-02-14 22:40:28 EST, Kandra wrote:

          << Ok, I had to go over to Yahoo Groups and configure
          the files section. *Only* Anne and I can upload files to it. >>

          That's a technicality. In actuality, Kandra is the only one who can upload
          files to it since she knows *how* to do it. :)

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 5, 2001
            Angela wrote:

            > I second the word for Holly Lisle. Another two series (besides Anne's)
            > that I'm anxiously awaiting the next book are Joanne Bertin's Dragonlord

            Ok, that's 2 votes for Holly Lisle's books. I think we need a majority
            of people voting for books to be placed on the Recommended Reading
            List. Otherwise, I'll be updating it every hour and it won't mean
            much. My vote won't count for either yay or nay, which is good in this
            case since I do *not* like Ms. Lisle's books. However,
            I *do* like James Clemens' Wi'tch series :)

            Kandra
          • elizabeth@photosol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 8, 2001
              I LOVE Holly Lisle's stuff! Why don't you? What was the book(s) that
              ruined her for you? (BTW, because of one book, I can't stand
              Madeliene L'Engle--sp?--and I don't think Andre Norton is that
              great...So I know where you're coming from.) Have you tried Maggie
              Furey, Juliet McKenna, Nancy McKenzie or Kate Forsyth?

              -Jess

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 8, 2001
                Jess wrote:

                > I LOVE Holly Lisle's stuff! Why don't you? What was the book(s) that
                > ruined her for you?

                Diplomacy of Wolves. I don't recall now why, but I *do*
                remember not finishing it because I didn't like it.

                > great...So I know where you're coming from.) Have you tried Maggie
                > Furey, Juliet McKenna, Nancy McKenzie or Kate Forsyth?

                Yes to Furey, McKenna and Forsyth. I'd never heard of
                McKenzie :)

                Kandra
              • elizabeth@photosol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 9, 2001
                  Really? I liked diplomacy of wolves. Try FIRE IN THE MISTS. That's a
                  really good one. In fact, it was that one that started me on her.
                  Have you tried Sharon Green's Blending series, or Kristin Britain's
                  Green Rider? What did you think of Furey, Forsyth and the other author
                  you said you'd read? oh, and th next witches of eileanan book is due
                  out in april! Yeah! HAve you tried Marion Zimmer Bradley's Sword and
                  Sorceress books? the 18th one is coming next month, too! Try Mercedes
                  Lackey and Andre Norton's Elvenbane! That series is really good. Any
                  recommendations for me? (Only female protagonists, please.)

                  -Jess
                • Angela West
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 9, 2001
                    Try Mercedes
                    >Lackey and Andre Norton's Elvenbane! That series is really good.

                    >-Jess

                    Were there only the two books (Elvenbane and Elvenblood) to that series?
                    I've never seen another one and if others are out, I'd love to know.

                    Angela
                  • Dubhradh
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 9, 2001
                      > Kristin Britain's
                      > Green Rider?

                      I was wondering if anyone knew wether this was going
                      to become a series or not? I really enjoyed the book,
                      very similar to Mercedes Lackey's Heralds, but an
                      interesting twist I enjoyed:) I'd love to read more on
                      it but have no idea if she's going to be coming out
                      with anything else...

                      =====
                      We ARE the people our parent's warned us about....

                      Myu and Seimei's poor typist
                      Darkchylde
                      Duo's evil twin sister
                      Keeper of Katsu no Miko's Wufei
                      MnM (Mikagami no Miko) ICQ# 64509645 (feel free to contact me)

                      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                    • Kharendar@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 9, 2001
                        In a message dated 3/9/01 11:43:14 PM Central Standard Time,
                        Dubhradh@... writes:

                        << > Green Rider?

                        I was wondering if anyone knew wether this was going to become a series or
                        not? >>

                        I really really really hope it does. I thought Kristin Britain was an
                        excellent writter and I enjoyed the characters and world she created.
                        Wonderful! Exquisit (and I can't spell!) :)

                        - Jamie
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 9, 2001
                          << > Kristin Britain's
                          > Green Rider?

                          << I was wondering if anyone knew wether this was going
                          to become a series or not?...I'd love to read more on
                          it but have no idea if she's going to be coming out
                          with anything else... >>

                          I believe the book she's working on now is a sequel to Green Rider.

                          Anne
                        • Kyran Jaye
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 10, 2001
                            >> Kristin Britain's
                            >> Green Rider?

                            > I was wondering if anyone knew wether this was going
                            > to become a series or not? I really enjoyed the book,
                            > very similar to Mercedes Lackey's Heralds, but an
                            > interesting twist I enjoyed:) I'd love to read more on
                            > it but have no idea if she's going to be coming out
                            > with anything else...

                            With an ending like that, how can it NOT be a series? Really.. :)

                            -Kyran

                            Pardon if my emails do strange things for a while - my comp's in the shop
                            and we're using the Old Standby (read: the previous box which still
                            functions... but not welll ... :)
                            --
                            kyranjaye@...
                            http://www.aeonsgate.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 10, 2001
                              Jess wrote:

                              > Really? I liked diplomacy of wolves. Try FIRE IN THE MISTS.

                              Hmm, if I see it used I may try it.

                              > really good one. In fact, it was that one that started me on her.
                              > Have you tried Sharon Green's Blending series, or Kristin Britain's
                              > Green Rider?

                              Yes to both. I liked the first book or so of the Blending, but then
                              became bored with it.

                              > Lackey and Andre Norton's Elvenbane! That series is really good. Any
                              > recommendations for me? (Only female protagonists, please.)

                              I liked the Aurian series by Furey :) I have ambivalent feelings
                              about Forsyth's series. Some recommendations for you...
                              well, George R.R. Martin's series is great, and it does have
                              strong female characters, but there are several male ones
                              as well. Have you read Rhapsody by Elizabeth Haydon?
                              Also, Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series. Jennifer
                              Roberson writes a series with a strong female and
                              male character called the Sword-Dancer Saga. She has
                              another series called Chronicles of the Cheysuli.
                              If you go to Amazon, and do a search for Anne Bishop,
                              on the right-hand side of the results page you'll see lists
                              made by people...a few of which are titled Female Heroes
                              etc. Those may give you some ideas :)

                              Kandra
                            • wyrmslyph
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 11, 2001
                                Yay!
                                << I was wondering if anyone knew wether this was going
                                to become a series or not?...I'd love to read more on
                                it but have no idea if she's going to be coming out
                                with anything else... >>

                                I believe the book she's working on now is a sequel to Green Rider.

                                Anne

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              • elizabeth@photosol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 12, 2001
                                  Don't hold me to this, but places like amazon.com (I think?) and
                                  kristin's web site, promise a sequel, called Mirror of the Moon.

                                  -Jess

                                  --- In ShadowRealms@y..., Kharendar@a... wrote:
                                  > In a message dated 3/9/01 11:43:14 PM Central Standard Time,
                                  > Dubhradh@y... writes:
                                  >
                                  > << > Green Rider?
                                  >
                                  > I was wondering if anyone knew wether this was going to become a
                                  series or
                                  > not? >>
                                  >
                                  > I really really really hope it does. I thought Kristin Britain
                                  was an
                                  > excellent writter and I enjoyed the characters and world she
                                  created.
                                  > Wonderful! Exquisit (and I can't spell!) :)
                                  >
                                  > - Jamie
                                • Amy Tannahill
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 13, 2001
                                    Wow, I read that book too. It was really great, so of course I passed it on
                                    to my sister and her friends. It is making the rounds. If anyone hears more,
                                    please be sure to post it:)
                                    Amy Tannahill

                                    Don't hold me to this, but places like amazon.com (I think?) and
                                    kristin's web site, promise a sequel, called Mirror of the Moon.

                                    -Jess

                                    > << > Green Rider?

                                  • Annalisa Scamporrino
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 21, 2001
                                      Dubhradh wrote:

                                      > > Kristin Britain's
                                      > > Green Rider?
                                      >
                                      > I was wondering if anyone knew wether this was going
                                      > to become a series or not? I really enjoyed the book,
                                      > very similar to Mercedes Lackey's Heralds, but an
                                      > interesting twist I enjoyed:) I'd love to read more on
                                      > it but have no idea if she's going to be coming out
                                      > with anything else...

                                      I work at a bookstore and someone who was buying that book said a sequel
                                      was coming out. I remember checking up on that at the time and finding
                                      out that one was but now I can't remember *anything* about it!!! I
                                      can't remember what the name was or when it was coming out or anything.
                                      Darn my infernal memory :P

                                      --
                                      Anny

                                      "Dreams die hard and you hold them in your hands long after they’ve
                                      turned to dust."
                                      Dragonheart
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 21, 2001
                                        In a message dated 01-03-21 04:21:43 EST, Anny wrote:

                                        << I work at a bookstore and someone who was buying that book [Green Rider]
                                        said a sequel was coming out....I can't remember what the name was or when it
                                        was coming out or anything. >>

                                        Kristen is still writing it, so I don't know if there's a definite pub date
                                        yet or not.