Re: [ShadowRealms] Re:Rawn

  • LadyDomini
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 30, 2000
      Well, my thoughts are that if an author is good, he or she will get a good cover-artist; publishers won't waste money finding an artist for an author they aren't too sure of, I think. Coverart is really advertising. So, ::Shrugs:: I judge by coverart too.

      ~~Lady Domini

      Get a free email account from http://email.atotw.com
    • Kyran Jaye
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 1, 2000
        > Though the saying goes 'don't judge a book by its cover' I, too, do so. In fact, I've read
        > most of the recommended books on your list (am reading Burning Stone right now- <swoon!>
        > can't wait for the next one!) and I've found it to be true that the better the artwork, the
        > better the book. Whoever does the covers on Anne's books is awesome, too, btw.
        >
        > There's a book called Dragon's Winter that's very good, and it was the artwork that got me
        > to buy it. Hrm... going to have to look around and see what else I can recommend for
        > everyone. :)
        >
        > --Kara

        I'm rereading Burning Stone right now, too. Definitely ::swoon::
        material :) Actually, the sequel to THe Burning Stone is out (Child of
        Flame - I haven't gotten it yet 'cause I haven't scrounged together
        the $$ for the hardcover - and this is one of the few series that I
        *will* buy in hardcover...) Book 5 should be out next year-ish.

        Glad to know I'm not alone in my choosings... alhtough I do know that
        Michael Whelan is well regarded enough in the industry that he gets to
        pick and choose which books he wants to do - I suspect the same is
        true of Jody Lee... so I guess they have good taste :)

        My email's finally working again ::dance of joy:: Yay!!

        -Kyran

        --
        Kyran Jaye
        @>->-
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 1, 2000
          > Hi! Just wanted to add in my two cents.  Michelle is also very
          > friendly with her fans, although a bit busy (she has a young baby so
          > it's to be expected! ^_^ ) so replies to email tend to be slow.
          > She's said that there should be 2 more books coming -- The Cities of
          > Man and The Sun Sword -- but those titles are pretty tentative
          > subject to change.  The Shining Court was a difficult book for her to
          > write was originally going to be the final book but the story took
          > a life of its own, especially the part with the Voyani.  So in case
          > it wasn't readily obvious, I second the recommendation! ;)
          >
          > - Vernieda

          I kinda thought something like that - her website at sff.net lists it
          as a trilogy, but with 3 books already out, it's certainly not over.
          Of course, the ones that take on a life of their oven are often the
          most interesting. :)You don't happen to know of a good website for her
          stuff or an email list do you? I've found the sff.net site but haven't
          had a chance to go looking further - and I'd really like to.

          -Kyran

          --
          Kyran Jaye
          @>->-
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 1, 2000
            > I kinda thought something like that - her website at sff.net lists it
            > as a trilogy, but with 3 books already out, it's certainly not over.
            > Of course, the ones that take on a life of their oven are often the
            > most interesting. :)You don't happen to know of a good website for her
            > stuff or an email list do you? I've found the sff.net site but haven't
            > had a chance to go looking further - and I'd really like to.
            >
            > -Kyran

            Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find either a website or a
            mailing list & I've looked pretty hard. :( Honestly, I'm tempted to
            start a website devoted to her works because of that fact. ;)

            - Vernieda
          • Kyran Jaye
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
              > Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find either a website or a
              > mailing list & I've looked pretty hard. :( Honestly, I'm tempted to
              > start a website devoted to her works because of that fact. ;)
              >
              > - Vernieda

              Darn. She does have a very un-current site on sff.net:
              http://www.sff.net/people/Michelle.Sagara/
              (I don't remember if "West" is just a pseudonym or if it's a family
              name or what, but her real name is Michelle Sagara, and she also
              writes as Michelle Sagara West)
              If you do start a site, let me know. I'd certainly be willing to check
              it out ;)

              -Kyran

              --
              Kyran Jaye
              @>->-
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 3, 2000
                --- In ShadowRealms@egroups.com, Vernieda Vergara <arashi@v...> wrote:
                > > I kinda thought something like that - her website at sff.net
                lists it
                > > as a trilogy, but with 3 books already out, it's certainly not
                over.
                > > Of course, the ones that take on a life of their oven are often
                the
                > > most interesting. :)You don't happen to know of a good website
                for her
                > > stuff or an email list do you? I've found the sff.net site but
                haven't
                > > had a chance to go looking further - and I'd really like to.
                > >
                > > -Kyran
                >
                > Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find either a website or a
                > mailing list & I've looked pretty hard. :( Honestly, I'm tempted
                > start a website devoted to her works because of that fact. ;)
                >
                > - Vernieda

                Michelle West does have a mailing list right hereon on egroups
                under "Michelle West". I do believe she occasionally posts to the
                same.
              • Kyran Jaye
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 4, 2000
                  > Michelle West does have a mailing list right hereon on egroups
                  > under "Michelle West". I do believe she occasionally posts to the
                  > same.

                  Ooh - I'm going to have to check on that. :) thanx

                  --
                  Kyran Jaye
                  @>->-