Jewels....

  • Tati2072@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 13 , May 12, 1999
      I am curious... Not all of the blood get jewels... Only those with enough power to warrant them apparently... Now though, the question is, if bloodline is the key to getting a better chance for your child to have a jewel, then how is the imbalance caused by Dorothea's unique accident/misinformation campaign going to affect the new generation of witches and warlords? In Daughter, it was noted that Daemon was suffering because he did not know how to milk his black widow's tooth... That can not be the only time that lack of information caused trouble.

      I suppose the real meat of the question is, what do you think would be the worst case scenario for the Blood of Terreille?

      Of course the Blood are long lived, but no one lives forever... No one...

      Tati
    • kandra
      Message 2 of 13 , May 12, 1999
        Tati said:
        >new generation of witches and warlords? In Daughter, it was noted that
        Daemon was suffering because he did >not know how to milk his black widow's
        tooth... That can not be the only time that lack of information caused
        >trouble.

        Hmm, I didn't take it that he didnt know HOW, just that he hadn't DONE it.
        After all, living for
        over 500 years or so, you'd think he would have known how.

        >I suppose the real meat of the question is, what do you think would be the
        worst case scenario for the Blood of >Terreille?

        This will indeed be interesting. I think it will have alot to do with how
        they deal with Jaenelle.

        Kandra
      • Kaeleer@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 13 , May 12, 1999
          You know, the things that make the Blood so fascinating to write about are
          the same things that make them a pain in the butt to explain. But I'll try.

          << Not all of the blood get jewels... Only those with enough power to
          warrant them apparently... Now though, the question is, if bloodline is the
          key to getting a better chance for your child to have a jewel, then how is
          the imbalance caused by Dorothea's unique accident/misinformation campaign
          going to affect the new generation of witches and warlords? >>

          It's not so much misinformation (although that's usually the first step in
          softening a Territory so that she can come in and rip it open), it's the
          systematic destruction of anyone who has the potential to wear dark Jewels. A
          broken witch can only have one offspring. After that, she's barren. Since a
          good number of those pregnancies end in an early miscarriage, the potential
          for passing on her bloodline is gone. The end result is less and less power
          among the Blood who are not Dorothea's supporters--and even with them, any
          witch who might become strong enough to be a rival gets eliminated one way or
          the other. Strong males who might be "unmanageable" (which is just about any
          Warlord Prince as well as any Jeweled male who doesn't support her or one of
          her pet Queens) might be drugged and bred to chosen witches for the
          bloodlines after being enslaved. But the power, and the Jewels, can be
          capricious. Two strong bloodlines don't always produce a powerful child. The
          power sometimes submerges and doesn't show up again for several generations.
          So the short answer is, the effect of Dorothea's campaign is that the Blood
          in Terreille are slowly crumbling, and the strongest are either supporting
          Dorothea, are in hiding, are enslaved, or don't have the social or political
          power to do anything more than try to protect their own families.

          <<In Daughter, it was noted that Daemon was suffering because he did not know
          how to milk his black widow's tooth... That can not be the only time that
          lack of information caused trouble. >>

          No, he knew how to milk it when he did it in time not to have the venom
          thicken. That's what got him into trouble. And, of course, you run the risk
          of having it thicken that way only when it's not being used for a while.

          <<I suppose the real meat of the question is, what do you think would be the
          worst case scenario for the Blood of Terreille?>>

          That's pretty much where it's at in Daughter of the Blood. And getting worse.

          <<Of course the Blood are long lived, but no one lives forever... No one...>>

          This is true. Even the Guardians. If they weren't drinking yarbarah daily and
          fresh blood every few weeks, they wouldn't remain Guardians for long. Same
          for the demon-dead. That's why most of the demon-dead aren't in the Dark
          Realm all that long (we're talking a few days to a few centuries, depending).
          Those that do stay do so for a reason.

          A last point. There are only 3 races that are long-lived: Hayllians, Dhemlans
          and the Eyriens in Askavi. Their life spans are around 4500-5000 years. All
          the other races might get a decade or two more than the landens of their
          race, but that's it. That's one of the reasons Dorothea has succeeded. She's
          Hayllian. She's long-lived. Most of her enemies are not. She can afford to
          spend three or four of their generations undermining their culture because
          she has the time.

          Anne
        • Tati2072@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 13 , May 12, 1999
            Thank you so much for that explanation Anne! :) Did me a world of good. Of
            course you know I can't ever be done pestering you or anyone else who wants
            to tackle my questions. :) Comes from being a very spoiled first daughter
            with the tenacity of a bulldog!

            Now for another one! This one is about the stand alone book you are going to
            be doing for Roc, in this one are you going to be outside of Terreille and
            Kaeleer? Visit Pruul or one of the other territories? Are you going on a
            little road trip, I suppose would be the way to ask!

            I have often wondered about the locations of these territories. I know that
            the Queen of Pruul has to be at least if not an ally of Dorothea then
            tolerant of her, is Terreille one of the largest of the territories or just
            one of the most influential?

            Oh and totally off the subject! (But I am tickled to pass this on!) Your
            books have become a HIT in certain... Umm... Shall I say, collared circles!
            :) I have a couple of very good friends who are in the life and I told them
            about you! They promptly went out bought the books and now you have a very
            knowledgeable group of people who completely understand the need your males
            have to serve! Congratulations Anne! Couldn't have happened to a nicer
            woman.

            Tati

            ;)
          • Kaeleer@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 13 , May 13, 1999
              << Now for another one! This one is about the stand alone book you are going
              be doing for Roc, in this one are you going to be outside of Terreille and
              Kaeleer? Visit Pruul or one of the other territories? Are you going on a
              little road trip, I suppose would be the way to ask!

              Road trip would be a good way to put it. I'd rather not say anything more
              than that about the new one until I turn it in. Well, I can tell you the
              title (the working title, anyway--titles can change). It's called The
              Invisible Ring.

              <<I have often wondered about the locations of these territories. I know
              that
              the Queen of Pruul has to be at least if not an ally of Dorothea then
              tolerant of her, is Terreille one of the largest of the territories or just
              one of the most influential? >>

              (Where's Geoffrey when you need him?) The Realms are like one planet/three
              alternate worlds that are connected by the Gates. Realm = world. Territory =
              country. So Terreille is the name of the entire Realm (world). Places like
              Hayll, Chaillot, Pruul are Territories (countries) in that Realm.

              Anne
            • Tati2072@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 13 , May 13, 1999
                In a message dated 05/13/1999 9:48:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                Kaeleer@... writes:

                > (Where's Geoffrey when you need him?) The Realms are like one planet/three
                > alternate worlds that are connected by the Gates. Realm = world.
                Territory =

                > country. So Terreille is the name of the entire Realm (world). Places
                like
                > Hayll, Chaillot, Pruul are Territories (countries) in that Realm.

                THANK YOU! You have no idea how that clears up the air for me! :)

                Tati
              • kandra
                Message 7 of 13 , May 13, 1999
                  >Road trip would be a good way to put it. I'd rather not say anything more
                  >than that about the new one until I turn it in. Well, I can tell you the
                  >title (the working title, anyway--titles can change). It's called The
                  >Invisible Ring.

                  Ahhh...this brings several different plot things to mind! I can't wait :)

                  >(Where's Geoffrey when you need him?) The Realms are like one planet/three
                  >alternate worlds that are connected by the Gates. Realm = world. Territory
                  =
                  >country. So Terreille is the name of the entire Realm (world). Places like
                  >Hayll, Chaillot, Pruul are Territories (countries) in that Realm.

                  That does indeed clear things up alot. Thanks, Anne!

                  Kandra
                • Kaeleer@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 13, 1999
                    Since we get to discuss more than the trilogy, has anyone else in group read
                    Julie Czerneda? She writes science fiction mostly--OK, the novels that are
                    out are sf. She's written fantasy and science fiction short stories. Her
                    stories are fun adventures and her characters are delightful.

                    Anne
                  • Tati2072@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 13, 1999
                      In a message dated 05/13/1999 11:14:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      Kaeleer@... writes:

                      > Julie Czerneda

                      She sounds very familiar... Could be that I have read a review on her.
                      Haven't read anything by her though. :) Oh my! Another thing to call my
                      friend Scot at Uncle Hugo's about! Yeah!

                      And have any of you heard of Laurie J. Marks? She is another one who is
                      great at a NEW kind of idea. This woman is harder to find than a diamond in
                      a shit pile though. Look around the used bookstores or look her up on
                      amazon. She is worth the hunt.

                      Tati
                    • Kaeleer@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 13, 1999

                        << > Julie Czerneda >>

                        Julie's novels are A Thousands Words for Stranger and Beholder's Eye.

                        Haven't heard of Laurie J. Marks.

                        Anne
                      • Tati2072@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 13, 1999
                          Ah-ha! I have seen her! I own that Thousand Words for Stranger. It
                          is sitting on my to-read pile! Which as I stare at it is being knocked over
                          by my youngest foombie Chombo! (Bad kitty!)

                          An excellent rule of thumb for me is to pick up as many anthologies
                          as I can. Get a feeling for the writer and if she/he has anything out, trot
                          my behind back over to the bookstore and pick something up. :) Then of
                          course I can do what I did with you, pick it up look it over critically and
                          say to myself, it looks interesting. (In other words gamble!) Goodness but
                          I am glad I did!

                          On that same note though, I have a handful of doorstopper size fantasies by
                          Mickey Zucker Reichert, who seems to be able to put together a decent book
                          and I can't read them! Have never been able to! How frustrating! Anyone
                          else have this problem?

                          Tati
                        • kandra
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 14, 1999
                            >And have any of you heard of Laurie J. Marks? She is another one who is
                            >great at a NEW kind of idea. This woman is harder to find than a diamond
                            in
                            >a shit pile though. Look around the used bookstores or look her up on
                            >amazon. She is worth the hunt.

                            Nope, havent heard of her...but then I'm not a sci-fi fan...just fantasy ;)

                            Kandra
                          • Tati2072@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 14, 1999
                              In a message dated 05/14/1999 3:53:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                              kandra@... writes:

                              > Nope, haven't heard of her...but then I'm not a sci-fi fan...just fantasy ;)

                              Yes, yes, yes... I know, you have very limited tastes! But I think everyone
                              can forgive you for that!

                              ;)

                              Tati