Re: names

  • Kaeleer@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 4, 1999
      In a message dated 99-08-26 10:05:09 EDT, Suzie said:

      << I have one question for Anne.
      Outside of the obvious ones--Daemon, Lucivar, Saetan, Mephis, etc.--was
      there any
      specific source for the naming of your characters? Did Jaenelle's name
      come from
      anywhere or did you just like the way it sounds? >>

      First, your question implies that I, as the writer, get to name the
      characters. The characters have not been informed of this fact, or, if they
      have, they've chosen to completely ignore it. Well, that's not quite true. I
      get to pick names for really secondary characters--sometimes. Take Mrs.
      Beale, for example. Based on everything I know about the Blood's matriarchal
      culture, she shouldn't be Mrs. Anybody because the women, for the most part,
      don't take another name. So Mrs. shouldn't be a title used among the Blood.
      But she was Mrs. Beale from the moment she was first mentioned, so Mrs. Beale
      she is. (I did point out the Mrs. thingy to the gang, and their very
      unhelpful response was, "If you want to try to change it, *you* deal with
      her." I didn't feel that brave.)

      In the same way, Jaenelle Angelline was Jaenelle Angelline from the moment I
      met her. This is who she is.

      Was there a specific source for the illusion of choosing names? No. I thought
      that if the Blood's culture had its roots in the imagery of the dark side of
      mythology and folklore, the names would have a dark resonance. And a lot of
      them do. There were names that popped up for characters that I didn't
      consciously choose, but somehow are so very right. Draca's name seemed
      perfect for her and who--and what--I knew her to be. Wasn't until later that
      I was flipping through a dictionary for something else and found Draco, which
      is the name for the dragon constellation. And then there's Lorn, which I was
      sure was a name I must have made up, but the sound of it fit him. Then, much
      later, I found this definition for "lorn": forsaken, bereft or forlorn.

      The subconscious is a wonderful, and sometimes scary, thing.

      BTW, I sent the galleys for QUEEN back a couple of days ago, so we're all one
      more step closer to the finished book. :)

      Anne
    • Angela West
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 1999
        >From: Kaeleer@...
        >

        >BTW, I sent the galleys for QUEEN back a couple of days ago, so we're all one
        >more step closer to the finished book. :)
        >
        >Anne

        Woo hoo! Yipppeeeeeee! Uh, sorry. Let my exhuberence get away from me
        for a second.

        Angela
      • Soli Johnson
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 5, 1999
          On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Angela West wrote:

          > From: Angela West <yournitemare@...>
          >
          > >From: Kaeleer@...
          > >

          > >BTW, I sent the galleys for QUEEN back a couple of days ago, so we're all one
          > >more step closer to the finished book. :)
          > >
          > >Anne
          > >

          > Woo hoo! Yipppeeeeeee! Uh, sorry. Let my exhuberence get away from me
          > for a second.
          >
          > Angela

          okay, I have to add something totally random but on subject for this....a
          few nights ago I had a really neat dream, and a big part of it was that I
          held a copy of Queen in my hands. Okay, so the cover art didn't folow the
          pattern (a yellow background though the picture of Jaenelle with a Jewel
          in the center of her forehead was cool), and I rememberthe front page had
          some tear in it and it wasn't the right story at all (trust me), but it
          was still cool. :)

          Soli

          ....................mine is the power of the ages..................

          Without a dream to light your way,
          the world is a very dark place.
          -_Heartlight_, Marion Zimmer Bradley

          "It's better to have loved and to have lost, than to
          listen to an album by Olivia Newton-John."
          "Why's that?"
          "Anything's better than listening to an album by Olivia
          Newton-John" (Red Dwarf II, Stasis Leak)

          .............mine is the power of the end of the world............
        • Kaeleer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 1999
            << Woo hoo! Yipppeeeeeee! Uh, sorry. Let my exhuberence get away from me
            for a second.

            Angela

            No reason to be sorry. I said much the same thing when I put that puppy in
            the mail.

            Anne
          • Tati2072@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 1999
              In a message dated 09/05/1999 1:41:05 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
              yournitemare@... writes:

              > Woo hoo! Yipppeeeeeee! Uh, sorry. Let my exuberance get away from me
              > for a second.
              >
              > Angela

              I refuse to even allow myself to contemplate how long we are going to have to
              wait for that book! Yes I know Anne, you've gotten through it as quickly as
              you can. I am just an impatient little snit! :)

              Tatianna
            • Tati2072@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6, 1999
                In a message dated 09/05/1999 7:05:57 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
                dogstar@... writes:

                > Okay, I have to add something totally random but on subject for this....a
                > few nights ago I had a really neat dream, and a big part of it was that I
                > held a copy of Queen in my hands. Okay, so the cover art didn't follow the
                > pattern (a yellow background though the picture of Jaenelle with a Jewel
                > in the center of her forehead was cool), and I remember the front page had
                > some tear in it and it wasn't the right story at all (trust me), but it
                > was still cool. :)
                >
                > Soli

                Good God, you know we are in Blood withdrawl when we dream about the books!
                The cover sounded interesting enough though. :)

                Tatianna
              • Tati2072@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 1999
                  In a message dated 09/05/1999 8:36:19 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
                  Kaeleer@... writes:

                  > No reason to be sorry. I said much the same thing when I put that puppy in
                  > the mail.
                  >
                  > Anne

                  Was it really that bad? I know you were frustrated beyond words for a while,
                  but the sense of relief must have been phenomenal!

                  Tatianna

                  PS

                  Kandra comes home tomorrow!
                • Adenike Akitoye
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 1999
                    Tati2072@... wrote:

                    > Good God, you know we are in Blood withdrawl when we dream about the books!
                    > The cover sounded interesting enough though. :)
                    >
                    > Tatianna

                    I knew I was in withdrawal as soon as I finished Heir. Dreaming at night is
                    nothing, I had to force myself to pay attention in class, I was wishing I had the
                    book so bad.
                    Nikki
                  • Adenike Akitoye
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 1999
                      Tati2072@... wrote:

                      > Tatianna
                      >
                      > PS
                      >
                      > Kandra comes home tomorrow!

                      Yay, happy, happy, joy, joy
                      Nikki
                    • Kaeleer@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6, 1999
                        In a message dated 99-09-06 17:02:11 EDT, Tatianna said:

                        << Was it really that bad? >>

                        No, it wasn't bad. Even so, it was a very fine feeling to send it back so
                        that the next step could be taken toward the final book.

                        << Kandra comes home tomorrow!

                        That's *wonderful* news! Yay, Kandra!

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 15, 2008
                          Hey all,

                          Anne has already said she has enough names for her purposes...I know many
                          have said they've just read her initial email and of course you all have
                          beautiful names :) However, I think this has run its course and please stop
                          submitting your name through the list.

                          Thanks!

                          Kandra

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 15, 2008
                            I'll second that and ask that the submissions stop. I've got an abundance of
                            names to work with now for this story.

                            Thanks to everyone who offered their name. If I need more for another book,
                            I'll let you all know. :)

                            Anne

                            In a message dated 8/15/2008 4:19:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            nightduv@... writes:

                            Anne has already said she has enough names for her purposes...I know many
                            have said they've just read her initial email and of course you all have
                            beautiful names :) However, I think this has run its course and please stop
                            submitting your name through the list.

                            Read reviews on AOL Autos.