Why we read fantasy...

  • Adrienne Roehrich
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2011
      My other favorite author after Anne is Jacqueline Carey. She recently wrote
      a piece on why we read fantasy as a rebuttal to some reviews that came out
      pre-Game of Thrones HBO show: Before the Game of Thrones HBO series came
      out, there were several bad reviews of it based pretty much on the fact that
      it was fantasy. (A particularly nasty and dismissive one comes to mind.)
      Jacqueline Carey wrote a lovely piece on her website for her July update
      about why we read fantasy and who the fantasy lovers are. I thought it was
      especially appropriate for the GeekGirls who read fantasy.

      http://www.jacquelinecarey.com/

      Anyway, I wanted to share it with this group because even if you aren't a
      Jacqueline Carey fan, you are a fantasy fan.

      Adrienne
      --
      Adrienne M. Roehrich, Ph.D.
      Research Associate

      amr0311@...

    • JACQUELINE KIRK
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2011
        That was a very eloquent piece and I heartily agree with every word. Alas, fantasy readers know all too well the reactions of some people when you say you read fantasy. Personally, I get sick of explaining it's not porn I'm talking about! : )

        http://www.jacquelinekirk.com
        http://twitter.com/jacquelinekirk

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2011
          I love Jacqueline. ;-) She's truly a nice person on top of being a great
          writer.

          And if you ever want to confuse yourself hopelessly, try reading the
          Black Jewels series while writing for a Night Court role-playing game.
          (I kept having creepage -- things that were stylistically appropriate
          for Black Jewels kept showing up in my Night Court posts...)

          --
          Elizabeth Schechter
          http://ladysmith.livejournal.com/

          You are the people.