Re: [ShadowRealms] Movie

  • Kelley Lester
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 10, 2010
      OOh!!!! Gary Oldman is wonderful!!!!!!

      But I still can't see how anyone could portrait the subtle but very important aspects of the books. Like when the characters know when they are talking tio the different aspects of each others personalities. (i.e. when Janelle is talking vs when Witch is talking) Also, where would the movie start in the timeline of the books? Before Janelle is raped? After? These books are just so rich, any movie would be pale in comparison.

      As much as I would love to be able to see this story on the big screen, I'm afraid of what would be done to it in the making. These characters are just too precious to me to have someone try to interpret them, have that interpretation translated by actors, and then hope that the audience (who may not have read the books) can actually understand just how great this story is.

      Anywho, that's just me. Gotta get the trilogy in hardback. My poor copy has finally lost its cover.

      (Does anyone see Christian Bale as Lucivar?)

      Wyn
      aka
      Kel

      "Growth is violent." -- K. L.

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 10, 2010
        I think the  shift between Janelle and Witch could be portrayed (somewhat tackily, but in the best format I think would be available to movie makers) as a subtle shift in vocal layering (like the Oracle in The Neverending Story, or a similar ringing or feral effect) or in the colouration or lighting on and around her face (for example, a lot of the shifts to Witch focus on her eyes, so, while cheesy, strip illumination around the eye area could be used).

        OK, Spoiler Space

        Again, nowhere near the level that would be expected of the transformation, but look at what James Cameron did to portray the sanctity of the Seeds of Eywa in Avatar. I think something similar could be used to portray the simple and intrinsic beauty that is Witch.

        Morag
        Getting off the soapbox now >.>
        =^..^=

        --- On Thu, 11/2/10, Kelley Lester <magewyntyr@...> wrote:

        But I still can't see how anyone could portrait the subtle but very important aspects of the books. Like when the characters know when they are talking tio the different aspects of each others personalities. (i.e. when Janelle is talking vs when Witch is talking)

      • Katie, Forsaken ST
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 10, 2010
          Sorry to everyone who received my last message. For some reason, it didn't have spoilerspace, I have no idea why. Sorry.

          Morag
          =^..^=

          --- On Thu, 11/2/10, Katie, Forsaken ST <i_live_the_dreame@...> wrote:

          OK, Spoiler Space

        • Lena
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 10, 2010
            There's always a letter writing campaign to one director that we think could
            do well with the movie. Personally I liked the director that did Avalon, it
            was a made for TV movie but I thought it was very well done or one of the
            directors that did Dune.

            On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Katie, Forsaken ST <
            i_live_the_dreame@...> wrote:

            > I think the shift between Janelle and Witch could be portrayed (somewhat
            > tackily, but in the best format I think would be available to movie makers)
            > as a subtle shift in vocal layering (like the Oracle in The Neverending
            > Story, or a similar ringing or feral effect) or in the colouration or
            > lighting on and around her face (for example, a lot of the shifts to Witch
            > focus on her eyes, so, while cheesy, strip illumination around the eye area
            > could be used).
            >
            > OK, Spoiler Space
            >
            > Again, nowhere near the level that would be expected of the transformation,
            > but look at what James Cameron did to portray the sanctity of the Seeds of
            > Eywa in Avatar. I think something similar could be used to portray the
            > simple and intrinsic beauty that is Witch.
            >
            > Morag
            > Getting off the soapbox now >.>
            > =^..^=
            >
            > --- On Thu, 11/2/10, Kelley Lester <magewyntyr@...<magewyntyr%40yahoo.com>>
            > wrote:
            >
            > But I still can't see how anyone could portrait the subtle but very
            > important aspects of the books. Like when the characters know when they are
            > talking tio the different aspects of each others personalities. (i.e. when
            > Janelle is talking vs when Witch is talking)

            Some thoughts always find us young, and keep us so. Such a thought is the
            love of the universal and eternal beauty.

          • Craig Corlis
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 10, 2010
              As far as the changes go, sadly any movie form of the stories would have to
              be more overt and obvious. Subtlety is wonderful in books, but very
              difficult to portray in film. We'd most likely see voice-shifts, make-up,
              possibly even a shift into a more Witch-like form. As for the timeline, I
              would hope they would start at the beginning, because I think that's
              important for the overall story. But yeah, just like Lord of the Rings,
              you're always going to lose a lot in translation to film.

              -Craig
              -----------------------------------

              --------

              On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Kelley Lester <magewyntyr@...> wrote:

              > OOh!!!! Gary Oldman is wonderful!!!!!!
              >
              > But I still can't see how anyone could portrait the subtle but very
              > important aspects of the books. Like when the characters know when they are
              > talking tio the different aspects of each others personalities. (i.e. when
              > Janelle is talking vs when Witch is talking) Also, where would the movie
              > start in the timeline of the books? Before Janelle is raped? After? These
              > books are just so rich, any movie would be pale in comparison.
              >
              > As much as I would love to be able to see this story on the big screen, I'm
              > afraid of what would be done to it in the making. These characters are just
              > too precious to me to have someone try to interpret them, have that
              > interpretation translated by actors, and then hope that the audience (who
              > may not have read the books) can actually understand just how great this
              > story is.
              >
              > Anywho, that's just me. Gotta get the trilogy in hardback. My poor copy has
              > finally lost its cover.
              >
              > (Does anyone see Christian Bale as Lucivar?)
              >
              > Wyn
              > aka
              > Kel

            • vuysher
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 11, 2010
                Alas i have to agree with a lot of the sentiment here that a movie would be at best a pale copy of the books, and at worst a total travesty. A fairly recent example would be The Dark is Rising =Seeker. I have been reading the Dark is Rising books since i was 13 [now 39 and still reading them] i had been praying for a movie of the books for so long and then while at the cinema saw the standee for the film. As soon as i got home i looked up the trailer online and switched it off barly 10 seconds into it. it was nothing like the book, whole integral parts of the story had been changed, ie location, character relationships, inventing characters and situations that do not exist in the books. My hyper excitement soon turned to utter disgust at what had been done to a book that i have loved for yrs. apparently even the cast stated they had to stop reading the book because it bore no resemblance to the script they had.
                Do we really think we'd deal well with this treatment being given to BJT?

                I really think not.

                Jason
              • evalynjewell
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 14, 2010
                  yep...just look at the book and tv versions of sookie stackhouse and true blood...i had to stop watching also.

                  --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "vuysher" <vuysher@...> wrote:

                  > Alas i have to agree with a lot of the sentiment here that a movie would be at best a pale copy of the books, and at worst a total travesty. A fairly recent example would be The Dark is Rising =Seeker. I have been reading the Dark is Rising books since i was 13 [now 39 and still reading them] i had been praying for a movie of the books for so long and then while at the cinema saw the standee for the film. As soon as i got home i looked up the trailer online and switched it off barly 10 seconds into it. it was nothing like the book, whole integral parts of the story had been changed, ie location, character relationships, inventing characters and situations that do not exist in the books. My hyper excitement soon turned to utter disgust at what had been done to a book that i have loved for yrs. apparently even the cast stated they had to stop reading the book because it bore no resemblance to the script they had.
                  > Do we really think we'd deal well with this treatment being given to BJT?
                  >
                  > I really think not.
                  >
                  > Jason

                • Diora
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 15, 2010
                    Terry goodkinds legend of the seeker is an even better example then True
                    blood though because i LIKE true blood being different then the books, that
                    series got AWFUL, i think the potential of having a show on TV for books is
                    even greater then a movie, just by time constraints you MUST cut out some
                    of the story, and its script writers choice as to what they find integral
                    and important, whereas a reader whatever tickles your fancy in the whole
                    grand scheme might be totally different.
                    Legend of the seeker is basically along the same lines of ruined as Dark is
                    rising series was though, they basically changed the important things that
                    happen in the first books and that play a HUGE role in the next 10 books.
                    I do however think that the japanese culture could do justice to the BJT
                    world and is the only media that could.
                    Anime or manga doesnt shy away from the hard and gritty and could easily
                    adapt to the darker side of BJT, especially the stuff in book one that would
                    NEVER make it into north american TV or movies. I also think that how japan
                    views sexual abuse paralells BJT's overall view of it as well so they would
                    intrinsically understand.

                  • Katie, Forsaken ST
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 15, 2010
                      The thing with televising things is that they have to repackage things as able to fit into 30 min - 1 hour packages and still work overall.

                      Not an excuse, but a reason. The Dark Is Rising doesn't even have that reason

                      Morag
                      =^..^=

                      --- On Tue, 16/2/10, Diora <serradiora@...> wrote:

                      Legend of the seeker is basically along the same lines of ruined as Dark is

                      rising series was though, they basically changed the important things that

                      happen in the first books and that play a HUGE role in the next 10 books.

                    • Michael G
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 15, 2010
                        Do not forget they also have to expand the plot of a story to last over a whole season. That is why stuff like Legend of the Seeker series says it is based on and inspired by the books of Terry Goodkind. So I just take it at that based adn inspired by but is not the actual story of. None of his books could last 23 - 26 hours of movie adaptation and be entertaining. Which is the length of an American TV series.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 15, 2010
                          The funny thing is when I got the first email this morning, I was thinking about Legend of the Seeker too.

                          I understand that a tv adaption needs to be different from the book, and needs to be repackaged from the original story to appeal to a bigger audience. However when he first agreed to turn the book into a television series he did an interview on it saying that the main characters Richard and Kahlan had a lot of integrity, and since the story line of the novels focuses on truth and integrity that he wanted the series to hold the same integrity of story line.

                          I saw this interview on youtube several months before the television series aired. I was really disappointed when the series turned out to be a fantasy version of Hercules and Zena.

                          I wouldn't be so upset with the changes if the television had a decent story line that was fluid and entertaining, but to me it just seems very repetitive.

                          That's my two cents anyways,

                          Kim