RE: [ShadowRealms] Looking for recommendations

  • Traci Dirom
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
      try her tir alainn trilogy. the fae are fascinating and the world is interesting.

      To: ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com
      From: rchristoph@...
      Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 00:10:48 -0600
      Subject: [ShadowRealms] Looking for recommendations

      I think we used to have a list of recommended authors on the web

      site...................

    • Dawn Charbonneau
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
        Ohh, I second that.

        -Dawn

        Traci Dirom wrote:
        > try her tir alainn trilogy. the fae are fascinating and the world is interesting.

      • evalynjewell
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
          You might enjoy Karen Marie Moning's Fever series, it has the dark edge, there are four books out and waiting for the last.

        • kim.vaz@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
            Hello All,

            This summer I read Kate Forsyth's Witches of Eileanan and I really really enjoyed the series. Its very similar to Anne's Tir Alainn series and very well written. Also the Black Jewels Trilogy was advertised in the back which I took to be a good sign. I was really impressed with the series and I haven't enjoyed a book or series THAT much since I discovered Daughter of the Blood.

            I highly recommend that anyone looking for a good read check her stuff out.

            Hope this helps,

            Kim
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
              I am one of the few, I think, that could not get into the Tir Alainn books.
              I did enjoy Sebastian and I am still trying to finish Belladonna.
              Unfortunately I started reading Belladonna when I was in the process of
              moving. Three times. So I've yet to finish.

              Two books that I enjoyed were Marie Brennan's Warrior and Witch. When they
              were initially published, the first book was called Doppleganger and the
              second was called Warrior and Witch. They were re-titled to Warrior for the
              first book and Witch for the second. Both were very good, I thought.

              --
              ~Jilly

              "Friendship needs no explanation."

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
                i just bought the first book in that series. havent had time to read it yet. Definetly will have to now.
                Renee

                You might enjoy Karen Marie Moning's Fever series, it has the dark edge, there are four books out and waiting for the last.

                --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "dpeebles3" <childofki@...> wrote:

                > I just recently discovered Anne Bishop and the Black Jewels series. Could not put them down. I went through all of them in 2 weeks. Absolutely fascinated by Daemon Sadi. I don't think I can wait until March for her next book. I started on the Ephemera series but it just hasn't captured my attention the same. Any recommendations as to another author with a story line similar to this to tide me over?

              • stephen silver
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
                  I enjoy Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series (theres about 8 books so far). Has a lot of spunk and her music lists at the end of the books make for an interesting iPod compilation while reading. Haven't read her vampire books, but the Weather Warden series has a great, strong female lead character. Worth checking into if you haven't already!

                  Stephen

                • Rao
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
                    I've read the Tir Alainn books a good long while, and read Sebastian and Belladonna a year or so. (I've read so many books its hard to remember when I read them or not.)

                    I have one of Marie Brennan's books in my to be read list.

                    I've read a couple of Kate Forsyth's books too.
                    --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, Jilly Harris <midalah@...> wrote:

                    > I am one of the few, I think, that could not get into the Tir Alainn books.
                    > I did enjoy Sebastian and I am still trying to finish Belladonna.
                    > Unfortunately I started reading Belladonna when I was in the process of
                    > moving. Three times. So I've yet to finish.
                    >
                    > Two books that I enjoyed were Marie Brennan's Warrior and Witch. When they
                    > were initially published, the first book was called Doppleganger and the
                    > second was called Warrior and Witch. They were re-titled to Warrior for the
                    > first book and Witch for the second. Both were very good, I thought.

                  • Shannon Wilson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Jilly,

                      As much as I love Annes books (and boy do I love them!) I also could not get into the Tir Alainn books, so don't feel alone!

                      Shannon

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
                        I actually had the same problem but I think part of it was I tried reading them too soon after BJT so I was still in the mood for dark fantasy.

                        I recommend trying them when you're in the mood for fantasy but not looking for something like BJT. They're written nicely (of course since Anne wrote them) but its your reading needs that through them off lol. I actually made myself try again when I was just looking for a good fantasy and not in the mood for BJT (yes there are some times where I'm not rereading them....)

                        Sorry for the no edit email but my blackberry wouldn't let me

                        From: "Shannon Wilson" <sew2974@...>
                        Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 18:16:50
                        To: <ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
                          some books are not for everyone. Just because you like one book or series by
                          an author doesn't mean you have to like the other books by them. For me I
                          just usually like the books by the same authors but not everyone is the same
                          way.

                          > As much as I love Annes books (and boy do I love them!) I also could not
                          > get into the Tir Alainn books, so don't feel alone!
                          >
                          > Shannon
                        • child_of_ki
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 9, 2009
                            Thank-you everyone for the recommendations. I have some really good ones to pick from. Started the Karen Marie Moning series and am on third book. Thanks again.