Re: [ShadowRealms] age appropriate reading

    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
      I remember those two books. And the Black Stallion. :)

      Anne

      In a message dated 1/11/2009 12:12:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      RoseOfMalice@... writes:

      Dang it Kimera, you beat me to the punch. ;) I'd also endorse Marguerite
      Henry's "Misty of Chincoteague" books. The ponies don't die and no inappropriate
      themes, either! She also wrote a handful of books based on real-life horses
      as well. "King of the Wind" was a personal favorite

      headlines. (http://news.aol.com?ncid=emlcntusnews00000002)

    • RoseOfMalice@aol.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
        >>Now of course for fictional ones, there are always Black Beauty,
        Personally,I would never?in?a million years give a kid of mine?Black Beauty. They'd be exposed to that kind of animal?cruelty and abuse through the modern media soon enough,?I?wouldn't want their reading time to be spoiled?with that particular story.

        You are right about Misty and crew being real ponies, though. I'd forgotten about that!

        ~Ariel

      • Diora
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
          I totally forgot about those, i still read the Drizzt series, they are a
          very easy going read and theres 12 books in the series i believe give or
          take and still very compelling stories that should keep him busy for a bit.
          Also the Dragon Lance series, (theres 6 "companions" books as well as 2
          trilogies with the same chars and a couple more after that that i didnt
          read) is well received in that age group as well(i didnt personally care for
          them, they are terrible authors imho, took a great idea and ruined it every
          possible imaginable way but boys usually go crazy for it)

          On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Elizabeth <wolfsarmywife@...> wrote:

          > What about R.A. Salvatore for your kiddo? My husband has read
          > everything by him and wanted me to mention it.
          >
          > -Liz
          >

          > .

        • Elizabeth
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
            LOL..  yes, my husabnd has all the RA Salvatore books, and all the dragon lance books, and of COURSE the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (may he RIP)..

          • michael@tapfer.org
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
              I am glad there is someone out there who reads High Fantasy series and
              thinks the Margarett Weis and Tracy Hickman wrote bad books. I know how
              they got the characters and adventures created and I know why they did
              those books. Thus the reason I feel to never repeat those methods for my
              own ramble of stuff, and advise friends to not do it either.

              Michael

              > I totally forgot about those, i still read the Drizzt series, they are a
              > very easy going read and theres 12 books in the series i believe give or
              > take and still very compelling stories that should keep him busy for a
              > bit.
              > Also the Dragon Lance series, (theres 6 "companions" books as well as 2
              > trilogies with the same chars and a couple more after that that i didnt
              > read) is well received in that age group as well(i didnt personally care
              > for
              > them, they are terrible authors imho, took a great idea and ruined it
              > every
              > possible imaginable way but boys usually go crazy for it)
              >
              > On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Elizabeth <wolfsarmywife@ yahoo.com>
              > wrote:
              >
              >> What about R.A. Salvatore for your kiddo? My husband has read
              >> everything by him and wanted me to mention it.
              >>
              >> -Liz
              >>

              >> .

            • Elizabeth Schechter
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
                I used to love the Dragonlance books. I had borrowed copies from my
                sister's college roommate, devoured them, and then gave them back. (For
                years, I never had copies of my own). Just recently, I got copies of the
                first trilogy at a second hand shop. Cracked them open and started to
                wonder what I was smoking when I read them the first time. It was like
                reading The Eye of Argon!

                Good ideas. Execution... not so much.

                --
                Elizabeth Schechter
                House Oakenhame
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
                  i was such a lover of the Misty and Black Stallion books as a kid. i still have some of them in storage somewhere. Black Gold made me cry.
                  Rene

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
                    Personally,I would never?in?a million years give a kid of mine?Black Beauty. They'd be exposed to that kind of animal?cruelty and abuse through the modern media soon enough,?I?wouldn't want their reading time to be spoiled?with that particular story.

                    You are right about Misty and crew being real ponies, though. I'd forgotten about that!

                    ~Ariel

                    I cant agree with you Ariel, sorry. Thing is that BB manages to show what a good horse owner is, what a bad horse owner is AND what makes a GREAT horse owner.

                    Much better than the modern day nonsense in the media.

                  • Akasha
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 14, 2009
                      i loved bunnicula when i was a kid - "love bite my foot, that hurt"
                      akasha

                      --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "Kimera" <Kimera_stormryder@...>

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 14, 2009
                        Hi all...

                        Ok, PLEASE watch the quoting. There's a couple of people who have been reallly
                        overquoting and for those on digest it's difficult to read.

                        Thanks!

                        Kandra
                        List Owner