Re: [ShadowRealms] age appropriate reading

  • Jolie Eason
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009

      I 100% agree.  I was an **advanced** reader also and by age 10, was running out of books that could keep my attention.  My grandfather, with my mother's permission, started giving me Stephen King books (ones that he preread and deemed appropriate for a 10 year old), Dean Koontz and other authors along that line.  If I had a question about anything, my parents and him would answer the question fully.

      Now that I am in my 30's and have 2 children, I plan on doing the same thing with my children.  With so much going on in the world today, I am not going to worry about what Becky (my daughter) or Zach (my son) reads.  If they want to read any of Anne's books (or any **adult** book), I will let them and be prepared for the questions that follow.

    • Adrienne Roehrich
      Message 2 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
        Now I've started something, haven't I. I'm glad for all the parents who can
        give their child anything and not have to worry about repercussions. My
        son, unfortunately, being 7.5 and a worrier, is not one of those children.
        With the things that happen to the kids in Jaenelle's "school" her
        grandmother sends her to, I can only imagine what my son would come to me
        with. Maybe he would surprise me and be just fine. But as his mother I
        know him well, and doubt it would all be okay.

        I have no qualms letting any teen who has an interest at my bookshelf. I
        cannot say the same about a tween because I do have books on my shelf that
        just are not appropriate. I let my 9.5 year old daughter peruse our
        bookshelves, and she has yet to pull down something I don't think would be
        okay for her. However, if she pulled down a Kushiel's Legacy, I'd probably
        tell her to wait until she's a little older. I doubt she'd get many of the
        themes that make it such a rich story, and then she hasn't gained anything
        by reading above the 4th grade level because she didn't understand the
        book. If there is a 4th grader who can understand all the themes in
        Kushiel's, they are not living a child's life. However, if either of my
        children pulled down Tolkien, no problem.

        Every child is an individual. Every book has to be analyzed as appropriate
        or not appropriate for that child. Really, I do envy those who can give
        their kids anything. I was one of those kids who really could handle much,
        but my own children just are not.

        Adrienne

        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 7, 2009
          Even though I know I have younger readers, when a parent asks me, I tell
          them I don't recommend my books for anyone under 16 or 17.

          Anne

          In a message dated 1/7/2009 4:56:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          aroehrich@... writes:

          I know this is not fully an appropriate Anne Bishop list topic, but as I
          think I would not give Anne's books to a child under 12 or 13, I don't think
          it is not completely inappropriate either.

        • vuysher
          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 8, 2009
            --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Schechter
            <ladysmith@...> wrote:

            > Have you given them Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series yet? If
            > not, DO SO!!!

            just please do not let them watch the god awful film they made of the
            2nd book.
          • Diora
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 10, 2009
              I'd just like to second the dark is rising series, i also read that series
              at about your son's age a teacher gave it to me because my mothers name is
              Susan Cooper, excellent "beginner" fantasy and my husband would like to
              second the Xanth series.
              Another series that i also loved at close to that age, it actually got me
              into politics. Is melanies Rawn's series Ruins of Ambrai, sadly though the
              last book in the series still hasnt come out 12 years later, so i dont know
              if you want to get him that. Anything by Christopher pike were good reads
              when i was that age (if thrillers dont scare him). Also L.J Smith wrote some
              fantastic books.

              I'd also reccomend Michelle Wests series the sun sword, its a little complex
              but well layed out and definately not what i would consider PG13+ (however
              skip the hunters death/hunters oath prequals, as there are some scenes with
              children being murdered by demons that might disturb him, and definately
              skip house war as it deals with kids on the street and the very real
              harshness of that situation, also a prequal.) though its been a while since
              i've reread them, you might want to read them yourself first considering
              what one person finds appropriate another may not.

              Wow its tough remembering what i read back then and deciding what would be
              age appropriate since i was such an advanced reader and my parents really
              didnt keep me from reading anything i wanted even strong sexual themes (i
              think i read my first romance novel when i was 8 even though i really didnt
              understand much of it lol i'm sure my parents WISHED i hadnt read those when
              i came to ask "whats this mean" a thousand times but my parents were very
              very good about explaining ANYTHING i didnt understand in a book)

            • Cubby
              Message 6 of 29 , Jan 10, 2009
                My brothers and I read way above out grade/age group and so did my children.

                But with my younger daughter's kids it is really a mixture.  After their mother got married she quit reading as her husband didn't read and when she started having kids she never had books around for them.  The 12 year old is reading at a high school level.  The 10 year old can hardly read (but is a math wiz), the 6 year old is holding her own.  and the 4 year old knows his colors and numbers and can count using his fingers and recognizes some words.  I have lots of books (for all ages) at my house and do my best to try and get them to read.  I buy books for every holiday, birthday etc for them hoping it will help.

                Dee

              • RoseOfMalice@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jan 10, 2009
                  Yet another member of the "young advanced readers" club here. I can't
                  remember that my parents ever really said anything about what I could or could not
                  read, although I was pretty much a one-track mind for horse books well into
                  my teens so they probably just heaved a sigh of relief that I was a
                  self-edited reader.

                  If they are still in print, I would suggest Walter Farley's "The Black
                  Stallion" series as potential entertainment for younger kids. I loved them because
                  I was (and still am!) horse crazy, but they are also very good adventure
                  tales. I also think the series to be rather unique because the protagonists are
                  a boy and his horse, rather than a girl.

                  ~Ariel

                  steps!
                  cemailfooterNO62)

                • Elizabeth
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jan 10, 2009
                    What about R.A. Salvatore for your kiddo?  My husband has read everything by him and wanted me to mention it.

                    -Liz

                  • Adrienne Roehrich
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                      Ariel,

                      Do any of the horses die? I think my daughter might like that series,
                      because she loves animal books. However, she's been burned with several
                      books where the lead animal dies. Think: Bill Wallace. She is not found of
                      those books. Thanks for the suggestion.

                      Adrienne

                      On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM, <RoseOfMalice@...> wrote:

                      > <snip>
                      >

                      > If they are still in print, I would suggest Walter Farley's "The Black
                      > Stallion" series as potential entertainment for younger kids. I loved them
                      > because
                      > I was (and still am!) horse crazy, but they are also very good adventure
                      > tales. I also think the series to be rather unique because the protagonists
                      > are
                      > a boy and his horse, rather than a girl.
                      >
                      > ~Ariel

                    • Kimera
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                        http://www.morguefile.com/store/index.php?c=7&n=281908&i=1416927832&x=Misty_of_Chincoteague

                        If horses are your thing, this is a must read- a book about the wild horses of Chincoteague. There are other books about this wild horse band, but this is the one that started it all.

                      • RoseOfMalice@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                          >>If horses are your thing, this is a must read- a book about the wild horses of Chincoteague. There are other books about this wild >>horse band, but this is the one that started it all.

                          Dang it Kimera, you beat me to the punch. ;) I'd also endorse Marguerite Henry's "Misty of Chincoteague" books. The ponies don't die and no inappropriate themes, either! She also wrote a handful of books based on real-life horses as well. "King of the Wind" was a personal favorite - I have 3 copies - as well as "Born to Trot" which is actually two stories in one book!

                          I would NOT suggest "Black Gold" by the same author, at least, not for younger kids or even for sensitive animal-loving adults, really. I read it when I was 12 and when I finished, really wished I had never picked it up. Black Gold was the 1924 Kentucky Derby winner and in the book, as in real life, he does break down in a tragic accident and is humanely destroyed. The real horse is buried in the infield of the Fair Grounds racetrack in New Orleans.

                          ~Ariel
                          curbing the urge to pepper this post with way off-topic Derby trivia :)

                        • Kimera
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_of_Chincoteague

                            The Phantom, Misty, Stormy, and all the rest of the Chincoteague were real horses.

                            Now of course for fictional ones, there are always Black Beauty, the Black Stallion, and his hated frenemy the Island Stallion. ^_^

                          • Craig Corlis
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                              The closest I've come to horse-book reading is the Heralds of Valdemar
                              by Mercedes Lackey. Still one of my favorites after all these years.

                              -Craig
                            • Kimera
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                                Give me a Companion or barring that an Ashkeverion stallion any day. Woo Hoo!

                                Dude, in all seriousness, that bunch was mean enough to be able to give Dark Dancer a run for his money.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                                  I remember those two books. And the Black Stallion. :)

                                  Anne

                                  headlines. (http://news.aol.com?ncid=emlcntusnews00000002)

                                • RoseOfMalice@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                                    >>Now of course for fictional ones, there are always Black Beauty,
                                    Personally,I would never?in?a million years give a kid of mine?Black Beauty. They'd be exposed to that kind of animal?cruelty and abuse through the modern media soon enough,?I?wouldn't want their reading time to be spoiled?with that particular story.

                                    You are right about Misty and crew being real ponies, though. I'd forgotten about that!

                                    ~Ariel

                                  • Diora
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jan 11, 2009
                                      I totally forgot about those, i still read the Drizzt series, they are a
                                      very easy going read and theres 12 books in the series i believe give or
                                      take and still very compelling stories that should keep him busy for a bit.
                                      Also the Dragon Lance series, (theres 6 "companions" books as well as 2
                                      trilogies with the same chars and a couple more after that that i didnt
                                      read) is well received in that age group as well(i didnt personally care for
                                      them, they are terrible authors imho, took a great idea and ruined it every
                                      possible imaginable way but boys usually go crazy for it)

                                      On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Elizabeth <wolfsarmywife@...> wrote:

                                      > What about R.A. Salvatore for your kiddo? My husband has read
                                      > everything by him and wanted me to mention it.
                                      >
                                      > -Liz
                                      >

                                      > .

                                    • Elizabeth
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
                                        LOL..  yes, my husabnd has all the RA Salvatore books, and all the dragon lance books, and of COURSE the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (may he RIP)..

                                      • michael@tapfer.org
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
                                          I am glad there is someone out there who reads High Fantasy series and
                                          thinks the Margarett Weis and Tracy Hickman wrote bad books. I know how
                                          they got the characters and adventures created and I know why they did
                                          those books. Thus the reason I feel to never repeat those methods for my
                                          own ramble of stuff, and advise friends to not do it either.

                                          Michael

                                          > I totally forgot about those, i still read the Drizzt series, they are a
                                          > very easy going read and theres 12 books in the series i believe give or
                                          > take and still very compelling stories that should keep him busy for a
                                          > bit.
                                          > Also the Dragon Lance series, (theres 6 "companions" books as well as 2
                                          > trilogies with the same chars and a couple more after that that i didnt
                                          > read) is well received in that age group as well(i didnt personally care
                                          > for
                                          > them, they are terrible authors imho, took a great idea and ruined it
                                          > every
                                          > possible imaginable way but boys usually go crazy for it)
                                          >
                                          > On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:26 AM, Elizabeth <wolfsarmywife@ yahoo.com>
                                          > wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> What about R.A. Salvatore for your kiddo? My husband has read
                                          >> everything by him and wanted me to mention it.
                                          >>
                                          >> -Liz
                                          >>

                                          >> .

                                        • Elizabeth Schechter
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
                                            I used to love the Dragonlance books. I had borrowed copies from my
                                            sister's college roommate, devoured them, and then gave them back. (For
                                            years, I never had copies of my own). Just recently, I got copies of the
                                            first trilogy at a second hand shop. Cracked them open and started to
                                            wonder what I was smoking when I read them the first time. It was like
                                            reading The Eye of Argon!

                                            Good ideas. Execution... not so much.

                                            --
                                            Elizabeth Schechter
                                            House Oakenhame
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
                                              i was such a lover of the Misty and Black Stallion books as a kid. i still have some of them in storage somewhere. Black Gold made me cry.
                                              Rene

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jan 12, 2009
                                                Personally,I would never?in?a million years give a kid of mine?Black Beauty. They'd be exposed to that kind of animal?cruelty and abuse through the modern media soon enough,?I?wouldn't want their reading time to be spoiled?with that particular story.

                                                You are right about Misty and crew being real ponies, though. I'd forgotten about that!

                                                ~Ariel

                                                I cant agree with you Ariel, sorry. Thing is that BB manages to show what a good horse owner is, what a bad horse owner is AND what makes a GREAT horse owner.

                                                Much better than the modern day nonsense in the media.

                                              • Akasha
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jan 14, 2009
                                                  i loved bunnicula when i was a kid - "love bite my foot, that hurt"
                                                  akasha

                                                  --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "Kimera" <Kimera_stormryder@...>

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jan 14, 2009
                                                    Hi all...

                                                    Ok, PLEASE watch the quoting. There's a couple of people who have been reallly
                                                    overquoting and for those on digest it's difficult to read.

                                                    Thanks!

                                                    Kandra
                                                    List Owner