Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears

    Message 1 of 19 , May 5, 2008
      *Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears* is back in print. The online bookstores don't
      seem to have the correct information yet, but you should be able to get a
      copy from a brick-and-mortar store. Helpful information:

      Title: Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears
      Edited by: Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling
      ISBN: 978-0-8095-7150-5
      Publisher: Prime Books (_www.prime-books.com_ (http://www.prime-books.com) )

      "Match Girl" was my first professional sale back in 1995--and it's the
      darkest story I've ever written.

      favorites at AOL Food.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 5, 2008
        Actually, I just learned that it probably won't reach stores, online or
        otherwise, for a couple more weeks. But it will get there. :)

        favorites at AOL Food.

      • Amy Harlib
        Message 3 of 19 , May 5, 2008
          aharlib@...
          Very good news!
          Cheers!
          Amy

        • Rowan222@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , May 9, 2008
            i searched everywhere before buying it used on ebay. it is a dark story. Good though.
            Renee

            *Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears* is back in print. The online bookstores don't
            seem to have the correct information yet, but you should be able to get a
            copy from a brick-and-mortar store. Helpful information:

            Title: Ruby Slippers, Golden Tears
            Edited by: Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling
            ISBN: 978-0-8095-7150-5
            Publisher: Prime Books (_www.prime-books.com_ (http://www.prime-books.com) )

            "Match Girl" was my first professional sale back in 1995--and it's the
            darkest story I've ever written.

            favorites at AOL Food.

          • Dawn E Charbonneau
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
              Hey Anne,

              Just curious as to whether or not a more specific time has been set for
              the release of your short story 'Stands a God Within the Shadows?'

              Thanks!

              -Dawn
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 14, 2008
                IMAGINARY FRIENDS, published by DAW, comes out September 2. So that's when
                you'll find the story "Stands a God..."

                I have noticed that both Amazon and B&N online are showing it for preorder.
                It's easier to find if you use the editor John Marco as your search. :)

                Anne

                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 15, 2008
                  Thanks! :D

                  -Dawn

                  Kaeleer@... wrote:

                  > IMAGINARY FRIENDS, published by DAW, comes out September 2.

                • Elissa Holtmeier
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 17, 2008
                    My question is how do cover artists get chosen? Is it
                    more authors or publishers? How would an aspiring
                    cover artists even get their name in the game?

                    I'm mostly asking b/c I've been noticing the trend,
                    especially with Anne's new books, of mixing real
                    photography with illustration. and I have a friend who
                    is a fantastic photographer and some of his stuff
                    would look great as cover art, not necessarily for
                    fantasy novels but if my friend had the experience it
                    could go that way, who knows. And Right now I am a
                    page designer at a newspaper but I want to get more
                    into the graphical side of things so I was looking
                    into book design I was thinking if I could team up
                    with my friend things could work but I wouldn't even
                    know where to start so I figured I would ask.

                    Any advice would be great, thanks!
                  • Jim C. Hines
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 17, 2008
                      Elissa,

                      In my experience, it's either mostly or entirely up to the publisher. For
                      my first series, I had zero input whatsoever. For my second, the publisher
                      asked if I had any suggestions, then went with someone else anyway. (I love
                      the new artist's work even more than my last, so I'm not complaining.)

                      Smaller presses sometimes give the authors more input.

                      Hope that's a little helpful!

                      Best,
                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 17, 2008
                        What I know is limited to my own books.

                        My publisher--or the committee of editor, designer, and marketing--discusses
                        the cover concept and probably chooses the artist based on the style and
                        kind of art they're looking for. Or maybe just the designer chooses. Not sure
                        about that. Anyway, it's the publisher who decides how the cover will look.
                        I'll be asked if there is a scene from the book or an image that I think might
                        work; mostly I make sure to provide a description of the main character(s) so
                        hair and skin color is correct.

                        How to break in? I believe there are illustrators marketing guides that
                        probably would have information about what publishers look for and how to submit
                        a portfolio. That's the kind of thing I would look at first to get some basic
                        information about the process.

                        Anne

                        In a message dated 7/17/2008 1:09:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        peridott8@... writes:

                        My question is how do cover artists get chosen? Is it
                        more authors or publishers? How would an aspiring
                        cover artists even get their name in the game?

                      • Moira Rogers
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 18, 2008
                          --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, Elissa Holtmeier <peridott8@...>
                          wrote:

                          > My question is how do cover artists get chosen? Is it
                          > more authors or publishers? How would an aspiring
                          > cover artists even get their name in the game?

                          If your friend doesn't mind building a portfolio first, they could
                          certainly look at applying to design covers for e-books. There's a
                          pretty booming field in that right now, and while the pay is rarely
                          spectacular, it gets your name out there. The publishers are usually
                          the ones who decide about the covers in epublishing, in my experience,
                          so going around to see which ones are hiring is a good bet!

                          -Bree
                          http://www.breebridges.com
                        • Cubby
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 20, 2008
                            and if they get a job tell the to read the description of the cover characters before doing a cover.  I so hate a cover that looks nothing like the character.

                            For example:  small, dainty, waist length silver blonde hair and the cover shows an amazon with short black hair.   The guy has scars on his face and the cover doesn't show any scars.

                            I am one of those picky people that when they read the book and come to character descriptions i look at the cover and if it isn't even close then i can't get close to the character because the cover picture keeps distracting me.

                            Dee

                          • Cubby
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 20, 2008
                              My library got the Goblin series and can't keep it in.  The librarian read it and said that she really like it so I told her I would pass the compliments on to you.  One of these days I might get to read it but there are several requests for it right now and I am on the list.  LOL

                              Dee

                            • Jim C. Hines
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 22, 2008
                                Thanks, Dee! That's always nice to hear. Clearly the library needs to
                                order a few more copies :-)

                                Best,
                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 22, 2008
                                  could i get the name of the books plz? thanks so much!
                                  akasha

                                  --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "Jim C. Hines" <jchines42@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Thanks, Dee! That's always nice to hear. Clearly the library
                                  needs to
                                  > order a few more copies :-)
                                  >
                                  > Best,
                                  > Jim

                                • luvbooks
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 22, 2008
                                    Goblin Quest,  Goblin Hero  and  Goblin War

                                    http://www.sff.net/people/jchines/%c2%a0 for more including chapter excerpts. They are really funny and great for those who love fantasy. Especially RPGers and old school D&D people or just those who enjoy humorous fantasy.

                                    Shar

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jul 22, 2008
                                      they wish they could buy more copies but her in CA our libraries are on very short budgets.    Here we have the lottery to fund our schools and libraries and they are using the funds elsewhere and now they are cutting out even more out of their budgets so that  the CA government favorite's can have more funding.  I think our library got about 20 new books this year.

                                      Dee

                                      YAHOO/AIM/AOL dragonscub1a    ICQ 380495169
                                      WINDOWS/MSN drgnscub1@...
                                      http://cubbys-den.covenspace.com/%c2%a0 (vixis)
                                      http://www.myspace.com/vampires_klingons_oh_my%c2%a0%c2%a0 (Vixis)
                                      EXERCISE is a DIRTY work.  Everytime I HEAR it I Wash my mouth out with CHOCOLATE.

                                      Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie  "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus" or ketchup whichever is handy.

                                      wrote:

                                      > Thanks, Dee! That's always nice to hear. Clearly the library
                                      needs to
                                      > order a few more copies :-)
                                      >
                                      > Best,
                                      > Jim

                                    • Brenda
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jul 22, 2008
                                        I know my library bought a copy of Lynn's latest book Shadows Return (which
                                        I just finished today!). I was going to borrow it from the library and had
                                        found they had it on order but in the end I decided to buy it since Lynn is
                                        one of my favorite authors and I'm bound to read the books again so it was
                                        worth adding one more book to my already full bookshelf. :)

                                        http://cubbys-den.covenspace.com/ (vixis)
                                        http://www.myspace.com/vampires_klingons_oh_my (Vixis)

                                        wrote:

                                        > Thanks, Dee! That's always nice to hear. Clearly the library
                                        needs to
                                        > order a few more copies :-)
                                        >
                                        > Best,
                                        > Jim

                                      • Brenda Bronson
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 18, 2008
                                          I'm going to have to pick up that book for sure. Not only have you written
                                          something in it, but Kristin Britain, another one of my favorite authors,
                                          has written a short story in that book.

                                          SCORE!!! :)