BLACK MAGIC WOMAN

  • Justin Gustainis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2008
      It gives me immense pleasure to announce the publication of my urban
      fantasy novel, BLACK MAGIC WOMAN.

      It's in most bookstores, and available online from Amazon and other
      dealers.

      Here are 13 things you didn't know about BLACK MAGIC WOMAN -- both
      the plot and the book itself.

      1. The hero (well, one of them), Quincey Morris, is the great-great-
      grandson of the
      Texan who died at the end of the original DRACULA. Contending with
      supernatural evil has become something of a Morris family tradition.

      2. The book was released in the UK and Australia on January 8th. The
      North
      American release date was pushed back to January 29th because of a
      problem at
      the North American printer.

      3. African "muti" magic sometimes involves the use of human organs –
      which must be "harvested" while the victim is still alive.

      4. "White" witch Libby Chastain, Quincey's partner in the
      investigation, is
      bisexual, and a devout practitioner of what she calls "serial
      monogamy."

      5. Jim Butcher, author of the "Dresden Files" novels, was kind enough
      to read
      the manuscript pre-publication. As quoted on the book's cover, he
      calls BLACK
      MAGIC WOMAN "the best manuscript I've ever been asked to read."

      6. Quincey Morris is terrified of snakes, having almost died from
      snakebite as a young boy. If only he knew….

      7. Simon R. Green, author of the John Taylor 'Nightside" novels, was
      sent an
      advance reading copy of BLACK MAGIC WOMAN and said, "This is a novel
      that's packed with story and engaging characters, and I can't wait to
      read the next one."

      8. "White" magic cannot be used to do harm to somebody -- which
      doesn't mean
      that you can't use it sometimes to kick somebody's ass, as Libby
      Chastain knows full well.

      9. Waterstones, the largest UK bookstore chain, has designated BLACK
      MAGIC
      WOMAN as its featured SF/Fantasy title of the month. It's got its own
      display
      in each of their 300-some stores. And if that ain't freakin'
      awesome, I don't know what is.

      10. It's possible to drive off a bunch of zombies without having
      to "kill" them. All you need is the right magic – and a skilled
      magician to use it.

      11. The South African national police really does have an Occult
      Crimes
      Investigation Unit, although my character, Garth Van Dreenan, is not
      based on any
      real person.

      12. Vampires really do hate sunlight. A lot.

      13. When you make a deal with the devil, the notes come due in
      brimstone.

      Thanks for indulging me, everybody. I hope I've piqued your interest
      and that
      you'll take a look at my novel. I'm kinda proud of it.

      Justin
      www.justingustainis.com
    • Jessica Secret