Re: [ShadowRealms] SPOILERS: new Mercedes Thompson book

  • Dawn E Charbonneau
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
      SPOILERS:

      Did you feel it was clumsy because it all came out very quickly, and
      also resolved itself quickly? To me, because we knew from earlier books
      that Samuel's intentions mainly involved procreation, it wasn't
      surprising to see it end that way.

      I do hope we get to see more exploration of this new piece of
      information about the wolfs in the next book though. It seems like a
      good recipe for an interesting plot point. :)

      -Dawn

      Kaeleer@... wrote:
      The one after the "pizza party," so that's probably about the separation of
      wolf and human.

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
        In a message dated 1/7/2008 5:08:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        char0218@... writes:

        > SPOILERS:

        The conflict was that choosing one would sever the relationship with the
        other completely. Totally gone out of Mercy's life. That was one of the reasons
        she didn't want to choose and was mourning having to make the choice. And Samuel
        did present himself as a potential sexual partner. Now it could be I missed
        some subtle clues since Samuel and Adam were playing the "possession" game, so
        I stumbled over the "one is a buddy, one is a lover" solution. I liked it--a
        lot--but my first reaction was "huh?" Especially because there was all that
        physical heat.

        So, yes, it felt like it came too quickly. Or else Mercy was picking up clues
        and they're in the story but I missed them.

        On the other hand, I'm glad Samuel is staying around as buddy and roommate.

        Anne

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2008
          > SPOILERS:

          So, yes, it felt like it came too quickly. Or else Mercy was picking up
          clues
          and they're in the story but I missed them.

          On the other hand, I'm glad Samuel is staying around as buddy and roommate.

          I KNEW it! Big heavy sigh of disappointment.
        • Dawn E Charbonneau
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
            Kaeleer@... wrote:

            > SPOILERS:

            No, I don't think you missed the clues (because if you did, I must have
            too). It was a very sudden conclusion that might have worked better had
            Mercy come off less smug and a little more shocked, especially since
            things from the past two books was building up to this, and she seemed
            convinced that she'd lose him. My theory is that Samuel couldn't really
            love Mercy, because the reason he sought to court her in the first place
            was to use her as a means to bear his children. There was just no way I
            was buying that his lust had anything to do with romantic love.

            Maybe because I knew that their sexual feelings would inevitably end, I
            didn't find it surprising that Samuel sucked it up and admitted
            contentment at being just friends (sort of). I think if he hadn't, I
            would have to feel to some contempt about him, the bastard.

            -Dawn

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 8, 2008
              In a message dated 1/8/2008 11:10:29 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              char0218@... writes:

              > SPOILERS:

              No, I don't think you missed the clues (because if you did, I must have
              too). It was a very sudden conclusion that might have worked better had
              Mercy come off less smug and a little more shocked, especially since
              things from the past two books was building up to this, and she seemed
              convinced that she'd lose him.

              I re-read that chapter, just reading the bits between Mercy and Samuel.
              Without the distraction of the Tim stuff, it's almost there. But I, too, would
              have liked a little more buildup to the "ah ha" moment. I did like the
              revelation that Samuel's wolf sees Mercy as his pack. :)