Ring cover

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
      The cover for the Trade edition of *The Invisible Ring* is now up on my
      website. You can find the link off the News page or Books page.

      Go forth and take a look at the boy. :)

      Anne

      _www.annebishop.com_ (http://www.annebishop.com)

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
        lkjasdlhn

        Excuse me while I wipe off the drool from the keyboard and my chin.

        On 10/1/07, Kaeleer@... <Kaeleer@...> wrote:

        > The cover for the Trade edition of *The Invisible Ring* is now up on my
        > website. You can find the link off the News page or Books page.
        >
        > Go forth and take a look at the boy. :)
        >
        > Anne
        >
        > _www.annebishop.com_ (http://www.annebishop.com)

        ~Jilly

        "Friendship needs no explanation."

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
          Does catch the eye, doesn't he?

          Anne

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
            Wow!!! "Boy" is an understatement!! Jared looks...just...s----exy!!!

            Now, I just wish there were a bigger picture of this so I could stare at
            it easier... XD

            -Dawn
          • Amy
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
              aharlib@...
              Lovely cover. Hints at the romance, magic and adventure within.
              Here's the review (posted at zone-sf.com and diversebooks.com) I wrote of
              this book when it first came out (see below).
              Cheers!
              Amy

              > The cover for the Trade edition of *The Invisible Ring* is now up on my
              > website. You can find the link off the News page or Books page.
              >
              > Go forth and take a look at the boy. :)
              >
              > Anne
              >
              > _www.annebishop.com_ (http://www.annebishop.com)

              The Invisible Ring by Anne Bishop (ROC/Penguin, NY, Oct. 2000, $6.99, mass
              market paperback, ISBN#: 0-451-45802-8). http://www.penguinputnam.com
              http://www.annebishop.com/

              Anne Bishop, author of the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy (just
              re-printed in an omnibus trade paperback edition Dec. 2003), returns to
              the Realms for this standalone prequel, the setting being a pre-industrial
              world where magic equals power and social status is pre-eminent, the course
              of a person's life determined by the color of the jewel one wears as
              revealed in an occult birthright ritual.

              The Realm of Hayll is under the
              rule of the ruthless, sadistic Queen Dorothea who seeks to increase her
              territory, to do this she controls (just barely) the dangerous but
              irresistably attractive Daemon Sadi who plays a small but significant role
              in the plot (fans of the previously written books will be glad to know).

              The male protagonist is Jared, a youthful Red-Jeweled Warlord who, captured
              at 18 and forced to serve 9 torturous years as a pleasure slave, murders his
              owner-queen and escapes, only to be caught and auctioned off into slavery
              again. A formidable Gray-Jeweled Queen, the female protagonist, shows up
              at the last minute and purchases him, ostensibly to add to her stable of
              idiosyncratically selected slaves---but Jared's new mistress and her
              entourage are not what they seem. Their true nature is gradually revealed
              on the way home as Dorothea's forces attack the group, forcing them to take
              a desperate trip cross-country. The 'Gray Lady' turns out to be Lia, a
              leader of the resistance against Dorothea's domination, a movement centered
              in the Territory of Dena Nehele where Lia plans to give her now-liberated
              saves a chance to live in freedom. Their inevitable gratitude virtually
              guarantees participation in aiding the fight to be independent.

              Along the way to the literally gut-wrenching and suspenseful climax of the
              story, there is plenty of adventure; romance (between Jared and Lia);
              dazzling wizardly pyrotechnics and internal workings of Bishop's unique and
              fascinating hierarchical magic system; and plenty of highly-charged,
              emotional character development often shown in scenes of totally
              non-gratuitous explicit eroticism sometimes quite sadistic on the part of
              the antagonists.

              The narrative shifts point of view at intervals from the heroic Lia, Jared
              and their colorful, distinctive supporters to Dorothea and Lord Krelis,
              Master of the Queen's guard, equally vivid, fully-fleshed out and believable
              villains. The plot strands' convergence is skillfully handled, building
              tension and suspense right up until the end when Lord Krelis and his forces
              confront Lia, Jared and their intrepid band bolstered by citizens of Dena
              Nehele, an inevitable encounter after the pursuit/evasion scenarios that
              provided much of the momentum of the tale.

              What makes Bishop's books transcend the formulas of the otherworld
              fantasy-adventure sub-genre to which they belong, are her distinctively
              conceived, intricate societal and magic structure rich in strongly dark
              elements balanced by the firm belief in ideals like loyalty and love; and
              particularly the stories' intriguing, cleverly conceived often amusingly
              inverted gender roles as exemplified in the eponymous artifact---an
              invisible version of the cock-ring used by powerful witches to control their
              males.

              The characters are also especially interesting, Bishop being superb at
              depicting their essence through dialogue which can often be quite witty or
              emotionally heartwarming or chilling at the right moments. Then there's the
              author's overall sublime skill as a writer blending the darkly macabre with
              spine-tingling emotional intensity, mesmerizing magic, lush sensuality, and
              exciting action all set in a thoroughly detailed invented world of cultures
              in conflict based on ingeniously reversed genre cliches.

              'The Invisible
              Ring', for newcomers to Bishop's work, will serve as an enticement, whetting
              the appetite to explore more of the Realms in The Black Jewels Trilogy,
              while those who have already been entranced by the trio of titles will find
              herein a satisfying supplement. Either way one approaches this book, it and
              it's predecessors are genuine gems of fantasy much to be prized!

              Vote in the National Cheney Impeachment Poll
              http://www.usalone.com/blogvoices.php?Cheney%20Impeachment%3F
              Add this text to your own email and blog signatures!
            • Deni James

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2007
                  On 10/1/07, Kaeleer@... <Kaeleer@...> wrote:
                  > The cover for the Trade edition of *The Invisible Ring* is now up on my
                  > website. You can find the link off the News page or Books page.
                  >
                  > Go forth and take a look at the boy. :)

                  Yes, much better than the original mass market cover.
                  Most delish.

                  I actually just reread the book a few weeks ago. still a great story.

                  Soli

                  --
                  one long, shining thread of coincidence
                  quantumbutterfly@...
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 2, 2007
                    oh that's very nice!!
                    Renee

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 2, 2007
                      certainly does!
                      Renee

                      In a message dated 10/1/2007 10:06:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      Kaeleer@... writes:

                      Does catch the eye, doesn't he?

                    • Adrienne Roehrich
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
                        Cover art is an interesting thing. There seems to be a trend right now to
                        use what looks almost like photographic portraits of real people rather than
                        what looks like animation style drawing.

                        I was recently reading a lot of Anne McCaffrey and had some very old (early
                        published releases) of her Pern books and then also some not as old and some
                        fairly recent releases and the style of cover art varies so greatly. Not to
                        mention how the cover art varies from country to country since some of my
                        books were from the UK as well.

                        I very much like the depiction of Jared. My only complaint is that he looks
                        a little too much like Sebastian. Maybe they got the same model? I'm still
                        getting used to the Tangled Webs cover. It just strikes the wrong chord for
                        the Realms to me. I do like the covers with Jaenelle for the trade
                        paperbacks.

                        *Sigh* It has been hard on my tendency to collect to not go out and buy all
                        the various editions, just to have.

                        Thanks for the notice. When do we get an excerpt for Tangled Webs?

                        Adrienne

                      • klmeri@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
                          Amen to that!? I remember when I first heard of a hint that a Black Jewels book?was in?the works... THREE years ago.? I didn't think I'd make it through three years of anticipation!? But surprise, surprise--March will be here before we know it, and I can't help but be extremely excited.

                          Years later, and I love BJT more than ever.? Anne, do you realize that your books get better with age??

                          I imagine we'll get the excerpt after the new year, though.

                          -Kathryn

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
                            Around mid November. :)

                            Anne

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
                              That's a warm fuzzy moment for a writer. Thanks. :)

                              Anne

                              In a message dated 10/3/2007 2:32:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              klmeri@... writes:

                              Years later, and I love BJT more than ever.? Anne, do you realize that your
                              books get better with age??

                            • scarlet_lullaby13
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
                                Ohh I love the green!

                                Has anyone seen the new David Eddings covers...I quite like them...