OT:Random

  • scarlet_lullaby13
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
      Does anybody here ever see someone reading a book that they've read,
      or that you're reading, and had an urge to stroll upto them and start
      discussing, in great detail, how much you loved it?
      I had that feeling today on tehtrain, when i saw a woman reading
      Darkwitch Rising, and I nearly jumped up and ran over to her. But, not
      wanting to be impolite, i stayed in my seat and studiously ignored
      her. I didn't want her to think i was weird staring at her so hungrily
      on the train.
    • 5starfire@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
        Oh, totally! I was sitting in a bookstore and a couple women were walking past lamenting that they couldn't find any books by an author I had searched diligently for and I felt like jumping up and shouting, 'me too! me too!'

        Share the joy, hee hee.

        From: "scarlet_lullaby13" <scarlet_lullaby13@...>

      • char0218@umn.edu
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 24, 2007
          Haha! I've completely done that before! Someone on the bus was reading
          Moon Called by Patricia Briggs, and every other minute I was staring at
          her, and the book in astonishment. We ended up getting off at the same
          stop, and I couldn't help myself. I went up to her and asked her if she
          liked the book, that I had just finished reading it, and that she should
          definitely get the second one. XD She probably thought I was a freak,
          but I was still happy that I did it.

          Now, if someone was caught reading an Anne Bishop book out in public
          somewhere, they wouldn't have a chance in hell of escaping. I'd be on
          them chattering mindlessly in a heartbeat! XD

          scarlet_lullaby13 wrote:

          > Does anybody here ever see someone reading a book that they've read,
          > or that you're reading, and had an urge to stroll upto them and start
          > discussing, in great detail, how much you loved it?

        • Jim C. Hines
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
            I did that at a convention a little while back. A woman strolled by reading
            a Janet Kagan book, and I had no choice -- I had to hurry after her and talk
            about it. (Janet's one of my favorite SF authors.)

            It felt a bit odd, but if you can't strike up book conversations with a
            stranger at a SF/F convention, where can you do it?

            -Jim

            Does anybody here ever see someone reading a book that they've read,
            or that you're reading, and had an urge to stroll upto them and start
            discussing, in great detail, how much you loved it?
            I had that feeling today on tehtrain, when i saw a woman reading
            Darkwitch Rising, and I nearly jumped up and ran over to her. But, not
            wanting to be impolite, i stayed in my seat and studiously ignored
            her. I didn't want her to think i was weird staring at her so hungrily
            on the train.
          • Elizabeth Schechter
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
              I thought you were *supposed* to start book conversations with strangers
              at SF?F cons?

              --
              Elizabeth Schechter
              House Oakenhame
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                <I thought you were *supposed* to start book conversations with strangers
                at SF?F cons?>

                Probably ... but the whole "starting conversations with strangers" bit
                requires me to overcome some pretty powerful introverted tendencies. Even
                when it's expected :-)

                -Jim
              • A Z
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                  Um....am I weird that I do that all the time? I mean
                  actually do introduce myself and start chattering away
                  to complete strangers that are reading or mentioning
                  books I love/liked. I never "spoil" the book, but I
                  love to interrogate...err...ask what they think of
                  this or that about the book. I have gotten some good
                  recommendations that way and recommended some to
                  others as well (got to "pimp" the books I like out,
                  you know). I have never came across a book reader who
                  minded. Quite the opposite.

                  Last time was in the local Barnes and Noble store a
                  fellow in his 20s was with is "dad" (at least I assume
                  he was since the family resemblence was so striking)
                  and asking whether he should buy this one paranormal
                  romance writer or get the new Laurell K. Hamilton
                  book, THE HARLEQUIN. He seemed a tad disturbed that
                  the paranormal romance might be more romance than
                  paranormal, but it had such a cool cover. So of course
                  I had to jump in and ask him what he thought of LKH's
                  series in general and what other books he liked as I
                  had read the one he was looking at. Going by his
                  tastes, I told him to go check out Rachel Caine and a
                  few others. He seemed very happy to chatter away with
                  me about LKH's books and other urban fantasy writers.
                  His "dad" seemed a tad freaked out though as we both
                  started talking about all the sex in LKH (which was
                  some very kinky stuff too looking back on it) and what
                  he liked and what he didn't.

                  Hmm...looking back, I guess his father had a reason to
                  be eyeing me and his "son" so funny that we both were
                  talking about sex with complete strangers around us.
                  Especially when he brought up the threesome with the
                  biting and blood. Oops!

                  "Dad" finally said he was going to go check something
                  else out and his "son" and me continued on with me
                  going that he should try Patricia Briggs BLOOD BOUND
                  among others. Husband finally came and snatched me
                  away since he was getting hungry.

                  Again, I have no reserve where books or the topic of
                  books are concerned. Made some nice friends and
                  acquaintances that way.

                  Shar

                  http://tv.yahoo.com/
                • Rowan222@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                    oh yea! that's how i met a good friend of mine, i saw her reading an anne
                    rice novel and away we went!!
                    Renee

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                      Mine was when I noticed the girl sitting across the hall from me reading
                      Mercedes Lackey's The Outstretched Shadow before class. I asked her
                      how she was liking it and such. I got the feeling she thought I was a
                      little weird for starting up a random conversation, but the urge was
                      just too strong!

                      Jen
                    • momof2nastyboys@verizon.net
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                        How strange, that is how I met one of my best friends Ruthie. She was reading an Anne Rice book in the Wal Mart cafe and I went up to her and started talking to her about it, and we have been friends ever since (about 6 years). BJ
                        =====================
                        oh yea! that's how i met a good friend of mine, i saw her reading an anne
                        rice novel and away we went!!
                        Renee
                      • Danielle
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 25, 2007
                          I've never felt that sort of urge no, but I do have a bad habit of
                          reading over people's shoulders when I get stuck without a seat in rush
                          hour ^.^ You can find youself reading all sorts of things that you
                          wouldn't normally...

                          --- In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "scarlet_lullaby13"

                        • Rowan222@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 27, 2007
                            Yea same with my friend..lol. its so weird how a common interest can set off
                            a friendship.
                            Renee

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007

                              > LoL *delurks* I totally know how you all feel. I was in chapters just last
                              > week looking for new fantasies to pick up and there was three women whining
                              > about how theres no good dark fantasy, i couldnt resist and i asked them if
                              > they'd read anything by Anne Bishop, they all looked at me like i was
                              > insane, however i was undaunted because i knew what i was "selling" would
                              > make them happy. I picked up the omnibus and handed it to one of them and
                              > just said "This is the best "dark" fantasy you'll probably ever read". I ran
                              > into them at the line up to buy books and strangely enough 2 of the three
                              > were buying it and said thanks :)

                              As shy as i am i cant resist spreading the word about BJT! Anyone who doesnt
                              like it is clearly insane imho lol