The Troy Game

  • scarlet_lullaby13
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 10, 2007
      Anyone read it?I'm about half way through the third one. Interesting
      concept.
    • Elizabeth Schechter
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 10, 2007
        I read the first two. It is a very interesting concept. I have to get
        the third one.

        --
        Elizabeth Schechter
        House Oakenhame
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 11, 2007
          ---I have never heard of this one, so what is it about? Always
          looking for something new.
          Shelly

          In ShadowRealms@yahoogroups.com, "scarlet_lullaby13"
          <scarlet_lullaby13@...> wrote:

          > Anyone read it?I'm about half way through the third one. Interesting
          > concept.

        • Cerri
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 11, 2007
            I read the whole series. I loved the first one, liked the second, was intrigued by the third, and was disappointed by the fourth.

            I'll try not to include any spoilers, but this is the basic plot for anyone who thinks they maybe might want to read 'em:
            Like Crete, every Greek city has a Labyrinth, the magic of which protects that city. Then Theseus betrays Ariadne (if you're not sure what I'm talking about, check out the Greek myth). Ariadne, a Mistress of the Labyrinth, unravels all of the Labyrinths his brings about many catastrophes including the fall of Troy.
            After the fall of Troy, Brutus is looking for a place to rebuild. After destroying her father's kingdom, he takes Cornelia as his unwilling bride. A slow, difficult relationship begins to grow until they reach Llangarlia, where Brutus is told he can build a new Troy. But only if he'll give up Cornelia and help Genvissa, a Mistress of the Labyrinth, build a new Labyrinth - the Troy Game. The Game, however, is interrupted with some big consequences.

            The books are very unique because they center around historical events - all of which were connected to this new Labyrinth. The first is the fall of Troy and the second is the Norman invasion of England by William the Conquerer. The third jumps ahead to the reign of Charles II and the final novel takes place during WW-II.

            The complaint I've heard most about this novel concerns the romantic relationship between Cornelia and Brutus. "Brutus is a bully and Cornelia is a shallow, spoiled princess. He hits her several times and she moons over him and forgives everything he does," is basically how it goes. All of this is true, but that's the point: those characters will evolve so much throughout the 3 following novels that by the end you will barely recognize them.

            I would definitely recommend them with the general warning that, especially in the first book, there are some very vivid descriptions of some awful things.

            --CerriC

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 11, 2007
              In a message dated 9/11/2007 5:33:10 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              cerri_elseth@... writes:

              The complaint I've heard most about this novel concerns the romantic
              relationship between Cornelia and Brutus. "Brutus is a bully and Cornelia is a
              shallow, spoiled princess. He hits her several times and she moons over him and
              forgives everything he does," is basically how it goes. All of this is true,
              but that's the point: those characters will evolve so much throughout the 3
              following novels that by the end you will barely recognize them.

              I'm on the third book also, started it last night, but I've read the series
              About 6 times and I just got the last book (that's why I'm reading them
              again). Your right about the characters, in the first book none of them have any
              redeeming qualities (especially Membricus, he's a petty little man, jealous
              over something he can never have again. He deserves everything he gets). I
              don't think I've ever read a book like this. I think it has to do with the
              authors writing ability, Sara Douglas is one of the best writers out there.

              P.S. Try reading her Axis books, they're fantastic! (Can you tell I like
              Sara Douglas a lot?)

              Shannon

            • scarlet_lullaby13
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 11, 2007
                I read her Axis Trilogy a few years ago, after I read the Crucible
                Trilogy. I loved both series, and I'm really enjoying this one,
                because its so unique. I agree that the characters are far more
                evolved and learnt in the second and third books (havent read the
                fourth), and i can't seem to put them down.

                Also a fan.
              • Cerri
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 12, 2007
                  For some reason I've never been able to get into the Axis books. I bought the first one, gave it a try, and then put it down for something more interresting. Maybe my problem is that I read her Troy Game series first. I've considered picking up her Crusible series several times, but I hadn't heard much about it. Is it any good?

                  --CerriC

                • scarlet_lullaby13
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 12, 2007
                    I've considered picking up her Crusible series several times, but I
                    hadn't heard much about it. Is it any good?

                    I read The Crucible series just after I read BJT and i loved it. Like
                    The Troy Game, its based around real historical events (english
                    history, joan of arc, black prince, french revolution), but has been
                    altered. It follows a man called Brother Neville, (i read it about 6
                    years ago so if I muddle up some stuff, sorry)and his journey anfter
                    being approached by the arch angel Michael. I found that I didnt
                    particular like the character of Neville, because he could be sooo
                    frustrating, but basically its him dealing with his christian beliefs,
                    as what he discovers on this quest for teh angels to wipe the demons
                    from the earth challenges many of his christian beliefs, and forces
                    him to reconsider his devotion to his faith. He gets used by the
                    angels and god and the devil, and i know a lot of devout christians
                    found this story to be a bit blasphemous, to say the least. i enjoyed
                    it noneless, and highly recommend it. Its not at all like the axis
                    trilogy.
                  • shelly
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 17, 2007
                      ---Well I picked up the first one last week and after about a third of
                      the way through had to go out and get the other three. I am about a
                      third of the way through the second one and am really enjoying this
                      series. I really don't like Brutus but I know he will redeem himself
                      in the end, so I have that to look forward to. You just have to
                      wonder how Cornelia would love someone like that. He is just so
                      uncaring and cruel to her. Of course she isn't the most wonderful
                      person around herself. But it is just hard to believe how much she
                      cares for her after all he does to her. And even harder to believe
                      that things like that still happen in this day and age.

                      <scarlet_lullaby13@...> wrote:

                      > Anyone read it?I'm about half way through the third one. Interesting
                      > concept.

                    • scarlet_lullaby13
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 18, 2007
                        Ohh the characters change and grow soo much in the following books,
                        that they're barely recognisable by the end of teh series. And you
                        can't help but love Brutus in the end.
                      • Renee
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 19, 2007
                          i've read it. i picked up the first one in a bookstore when it first
                          came out in paperback. ever since then i was hooked. The series makes
                          you think it'll go in one direction, but it goes in a totally different
                          one, at least, in my opinion.
                          Renee

                          <scarlet_lullaby13@...> wrote:

                          > Anyone read it?I'm about half way through the third one. Interesting
                          > concept.

                        • Renee
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 19, 2007
                            I never could get into her Axis series. i took a year off before
                            reading Enchanter. I still havent read Starman yet. I keep wanting to
                            check out her other series, but always have too much to read as it is!
                            Renee

                          • Rowan222@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 19, 2007
                              He certainly does, doesn't he!
                              Renee

                              that they're barely recognisable by the end of teh series. And you
                              can't help but love Brutus in the end

                            • Heidi
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 9, 2007
                                Alright I went out and bought the first 3 and ordered a copy of the
                                fourth, i love you guys in this group I have taken your advice many
                                times and as before I love these books, I am in the middle of
                                Darkwitch Rising and am torn between what is going on and how it is
                                going to end and don't know if i can wait for the third to get
                                here. If you guys keep suggesting new books I am never going to get
                                back to some of the other books I have. I can't just pick up an
                                author, but when you guys talk about a book or series that is when
                                it gets my interest and when i can go out on a limb and just buy it
                                knowing that you guys would never steer me wrong. I have yet to be
                                disappointed. THANK YOU!!! And I just picked up the Queen of the
                                Darkness and the cover is beautiful, now I have the originals and
                                the new covers and they look great on my bookshelf but I am scared
                                to open them and ruin the binding, because if you look at most of
                                the books in my collection the bindings are all cracked, but it is
                                out of love for the stories. I have 2 questions has anyone
                                read "Dreamsnake" by Vonda McIntyre? and has anyone read anything by
                                Kate Forsyth? I loved her first 6 books and bought the first of her
                                new series but have yet to read it and noticed that the other 2 were
                                out, but getting caught up in new books I haven't had a chance to
                                read it and wondering if anyone else has...
                                Oh my, too long, I will let you guys see and reply I need to get to
                                a job fair.
                                Heidi
                              • Cerri
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 9, 2007
                                  Glad you're enjoying them, Heidi!

                                  If I think of anything else to recommend, I'll let you know!

                                  --CerriC

                                • scarlet_lullaby13
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 2, 2011
                                    Hi all,

                                    In case some of you didn't know, Sara Douglass (author of the Wayfarer Redemption, Battleaxe, The Crucible and the like) passed away last week after a long battle with ovarian cancer. Sara was and always will be one of my favourite authors. She kept a blog about her gardening the last few years and in there is a piece about the silence of dying. The link is posted below...

                                    http://nonsuchkitchengardens.com/wordpress/?p=606

                                    It's quite a raw piece.

                                    Kat
                                  • thebunnysaunt@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 2, 2011
                                      I feel so terrible. She was an amazing writer and my favorite. I'd read
                                      the silence of dying about 3 months ago and like you said it was raw,
                                      painful and angry. I'll miss her terribly.

                                      Shannon

                                    • Renee Fizer
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 2, 2011
                                        I really loved her Troy Game series.:-( sad to hear of her passing.
                                        Renee

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 3, 2011
                                          I hadn't heard that (her fight w/ cancer). Well, d***. She was a very talented author, and she'll be missed.

                                          Prayers & blessings to her friends & family.

                                          So mote it be.

                                          Sabrina

                                        • Luz Ascencio
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 3, 2011
                                            I HAVE TO SAY I WAS UNFORTUNATE ENOUGH NOT TO HAVE KNOWN HER. I CAN'T SAY I LOVED HER BOOKS OR HER AS AN AUTHOR. THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS THAT I REGRET GREATLY NOT TO. I JUST READ THE SILENCE OF DYING. A MAGNIFICIENT PIECE, SOUL YERKING AND SHAKER. I'M SORRY TO SAY I'M ONE OF THE COWARDS. I THANK GOD FOR HER EXISTANCE, FOR MAKING ME FEEL. FOR OPENING MY EYES. I AM NOT ELOQUENT AT ALL. I CAN'T NEVER SAY WHAT I WANT, I CAN'T EXPRESS MYSELF, BUT EVEN THOUGH I KNOW ITS NOT ENOUGH I'LL SAY IT. SHE TRULY TOUCH ME, WITH THIS PIECE. AND I CAN ONY IMAGINE WHAT HER WRITING WILL DO FOR ME. I HOPE I CAN CALL HER ONE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS VERY SOON AND BE AS PROUD OF HER AS YOU ARE.

                                            ~LUZ